Thermalright TRUE or Noctua NH-U12P or CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ ???

KliCK

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I am really confused between these 3 coolers which one to buy

The Hyper 212+ Cost abt Rs 1950 ie $40 approx and TRUE abt Rs 3400 ie $65 or Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler (with 2 fans) for Rs 3900 ie $80 approx

What is the max OC i can achieve??

and which cooler to buy if i can afford both and is TRUE as well as Noctua really worth it and whats ur take on this

Should i choose Cheaper Hyper 212+ or Expensive TRUE or Noctua

My Config is

Core i7 920 2.66Ghz
EVGA X-58 LE Motherboard
XFX Black Edition 850W Modular
G Skill Tri Channel 6GB 1600MHz
2x Sapphire 5870 in Crossfire Mode
1TB WD Black Caviar
Cooler Master HAF 922

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I'd probably go with the True because of its good performance for its size. But I might not go for maximum overclock. I suggest using 1.35V and seeing how far you can push it. You won't run out of cooling at 1.35V and your CPU will last longer while consuming far less energy than it would if you were to try maxing it out.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Exactly. In other words, you can't determine your overclock based on stepping. I've had C0's go to 4.3 GHz using big air, and D0's that had a hard time reaching 4.0 GHz. Check out "all" of the System Builder Marathons to see the wide variety of overclocks achieved with both steppings.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Well it helps at least xD My friend has c0 stepping and can't go above 3.8ghz without any vcore bump that would pass intel recommandation.

I'd say it depends on the chip itself.
i.e. Take 2 brand new ferrari and drag them ... 1 will beat the other. Even if a computer would manipulate perfectly the cars.

c0 or d0, there is no anwser, I heard d0 were better at overclocking, now you just told me I'm wrong. You need to test KliCK so I'd recommand taking megahalems or a TRUE with push/pull config as I had on my e5200 and got it above 4ghz (50%+ overclock) but with a ridiculous amount of vcore (the chip fried withing 5 month) but it cost peanuts to buy it back xD
Don't fry your i7 you'll cry !

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're more likely to get a CPU that hits 4.0 GHz or more at 1.35V with the D0. But more likely isn't a guarantee. You're also more likely to exceed your thermal limits at anything above 1.35V with the D0...but again more likely isn't a guarantee. If I had a choice I'd pick the D0 for its different risk profile, but the risks aren't really much less just slightly different.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I agree with you ^^

D0 is more recent too. The new i7 930 is D0 stepping. Thermal limit is the real point here in overclocking, proving the fact that the best cooler you get, the better you can overlclock. Look at those benchmark made with liquid azote with ridiculous amount of vcore xD !!! Again, not all the same chip will reach the same level !

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Right, the real reason I prefer the D0 is that I'm more likely to hit 4GHz or more at 1.35V or less. But I still get CPU's that won't do it. As for the C0, I'm just as likely to hit 4GHz, but I often need more voltage. But unlike the stuff I said about thermal limits, the real reason I want to run at 1.35V or less is to reduce the rate of circuit erosion.

I can support a C0 at 1.45V using air cooling, I just don't want to use 1.45V. It's been harder for me to cool D0 at 1.45V, but that isn't very important when one isn't planning to use more than 1.35V.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I think the TRUE will fit if you have only three memory modules, or the modules you're using are short enough to fit under the fan. Either of those should assure it fits in the normal orientation, which is with the fan on the front blowing towards the back.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Great, you get both solutions. Three modules clear because the first slot is empty. And the modules are short enough that if you used six, you could overlap the fan over the first module.

MCchum

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I am using this CPU cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109022

ben using it since Dec.09 ,, cpu i7 920 @ 3.8g , no heat problem at all . been running that since installed cooler.

I game on a regular base's , (everynite :) ) MW2 , crysis , bfbc2 , with no problems at all with heat . most I have seen is 41C

case is CM HAF 932
on the cpu cooler , i mounted the fan on the bottomside blowing up to the top outfan , this also, made all mem slots easy to access .

hope this helps ya
GL HF on ur build

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
If you take a TRUE go for a push pull config : 1 fan that sucks the air in and the other one that shuffle it out. Otherwise the performence won't be as good as a one fan config.

Anyways above 3.6ghz you won't see much fps gain.