blink0r

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hey guys I've just ungraded my previous motherboard to a new one

TO: Asus P5Q PRO

and ever since ive done that i've been getting blue screens like

STOP 0x000007B

then i installed windows vista instead then i ran a windows XP recovery but as soon as that started to
work it would give me

STOP 0x000007E

i dont know how to fix this and i've been looking everywhere on how to get this working

Could anyone help me?

Thanks for reading

blink0r

Distinguished
May 31, 2009

thanks for your help GhislainG, how may i go about doing this?

EDIT: i have gone and changed the sata controller to IDE and the same STOP 0x000007E error

Initially you had a 0x0000007B error caused by the incorrect SATA controller configuration and that was rather easy to fix.
then i installed windows vista instead then i ran a windows XP recovery but as soon as that started to
work it would give me STOP 0x000007E
Did you install Vista on the same hard disk/partition and then you try to run a Windows XP recovery? That doesn't quite make sense to me.

You probably didn't disconnect the drive where XP is installed before installing Vista so that it wouldn't get modified. Read http://nctritech.wordpress.com/2009/02/28/stop-0x0000007e-after-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-install-on-amd-platforms/ as it might help. Since you can boot from Vista, you might be able to simply rename the file and then boot from XP again.