AMD Phenom II X6 1055t overclocking: max voltage, speed, turbo

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello. I bought the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula motherboard and the AMD Phenom II X6 1055t processor.

on Intel, I know the Core 2 Duo accepts 1.40v without damaging the processor. I think 1.40 is the absolute max voltage, I think I read that on Intel (although the recommended max is 1.3625)

what is the absolute max voltage for the 1055t

So far, I disabled Turbo, and I set the voltage to 1.475v. I placed the CPU speed to 3863 Mhz, which is pretty good.

I have the Corsair V80 CPU cooler, and I bought the Artic MX-3 thermal compound. Right now the temperature seems pretty good.

Right now the temperature is 30C, I read these processors report 10C lower than their real speed. who knows.

I appreciate any responses. Please don't tell me

"each CPU overclocks differently"
I already know that :D

I want to know the absolute top voltage, and any tips on overclocking this baby

UPDATED: Also, please check this picture:
voltageprogramsdifferen.png

At the moment, AMD overdrive and Everest have 2 different values.
What is the correct value of the voltage?

what is the maxium voltage?
Right now, I used 1.475v in the BIOS, and at 100C the max temperature is 55C

but when I use Acronis True Image home, and use maxium compression, the temperature reached 63C
Thank you very much :)

Solution
I'd assume the absolute max for the Phenom II X6 1055T is around 1.5V.

Download Prime 95, and check your temperatures. Make sure they are below 55°C.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks

Right now I'm running at 1.475, the CPU speed is 3820 Mhz, which is +1Gz of overclocking

What is the temperature that I should run the processor?

I will take pictures tomorrow, this processor is insane, REALLY fast, I love it

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I encoded a video, all CPUs to 100%, and the max temperature is 55C

is that ok?
anyway, the computer seems stable at 4.0 Ghz right now

so I love it, I love overclocking!
I really need the extra speed for encoding videos

voltage now is 1.475

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I was able to reach 4100 Mhz, but the max temperature is 59C while encoding a video on Premiere an dusing all 6 cores at 100%

I read the max temperature is 65c, so that's too close, I also had to use 1.5v,

with 4088 Mhz I was able to reach a steady 55C, so if you ask me, 4C extra for 12Mhz is absolutely not worth it

The final stable speed I was able to reach was 4088Mhz, I still need to test it in games, but at full load the computer remained stable. I also enabled Cool & Quiet technology, so hopefully the processor should stay cool when it's not at full load

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello. I've been having fun overclocking my chip to 4.0Ghz
however, using Acronis True Image home, maximum compression, the CPU reached 63C

the process takes 18 minutes, I say the CPU was hot for 5-8 minutes

I do one of these backups once per month

my question is, will that break the CPU?

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

What happens if the speed goes up to 63c?

When I encode a video on Premier at 4.0Ghz, the temp goes up to 55C-56C, something like that

but on Acronis True Image home, when I compress a 70GB hard drive with maximum compression, the temperature goes up to 63C

I want to be clear about it, I use Acronis True Image home once a month, but still, am I doing something too risky?

I wouldn't run the CPU at 4Ghz if I would use this software every single day, but hey, I use it like once a month, so do you think it's OK to do that?

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
ok I did the experiment with Prime95

I reached around 80-85% CPU load, the temperature was around 48C
the highest it got was 52C

So I guess it's alright

Today I learned, not to run Acronis True Image Home with MAXIMUM compression.

It gives little advantage, it takes double the amount of time, and the temperature of the CPU raises around 7C-8C

I never thought I would end up using Acronis True Image home in order to test my overclocked CPU processor!!!

haha

Sorry for not responding sooner.

If it' reaches 63°C for a few minutes, it's not very good for the CPU and if this is just done once a month then I wouldn't worry too much, the most you'd have to do is underclock it during the process and overclock it back up once you're done.