Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I just finished building my rig....

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T
MSI 880GMA-E45 Motherboard
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 8G ram
Corsair CSSD-R60GB2-BRKT R60 Reactor Solid State Drive
1T HDD

Now I have Windows Vista Ultimate on hand. I purchased windows 7 ultimate upgrade (because its cheaper). I read some article on how to set up SSD's. But I need more help. When I install Windows Vista ultimate from a empty 60Gb (57Gb+ available) SSD. It uses up 29Gb+ leave me with 27Gb. To install Windows & ultimate it requires me to have Vista service pack 1. So I go to windows update, before I can install service pack 1, I need to install other updates...after all is said and done with just OS installed, I'm left with 7Gb+ ......This seems to me is wayyyy too much space used. To install Windows 7 Ultimate, it requires 20Gb of free space or else it wont install. Is there anyway to lessen the space used...perhaps windows update is storing update download temp files somewhere? How can I free up 14Gb of space when I only have OS installed, not even office yet. I don't see how people can run with less than 60Gb, I heard some people run with 32Gb SSD. I don't see how. Anyway, is there a way for me solve my problem besides buy the full version of windows 7 ultimate?

Thanks
Rudy

Noobie101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Tnx for that link, I should have my win 7 in a day or so....I just used the win 7 upgrade advisor and thats what it told me I needed. I guess if it doesnt work, I'll just use a HDD instead of SSD.

Tnx