Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair H50 & dust

Last response: in Overclocking
June 29, 2010 11:48:38 AM

I'm putting a new rig together. Asus M4A79T Deluxe, Amd Phenom II X4 965 BE and was looking for a good CPU cooler. I was thinking about the H50 in a push/pull config.
My concern is that this cooler pulls air into the case unfiltered. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like I'm building a vaccuum cleaner. What about all the everyday dust being pulled into the case and cloging the cooling fins on the radiator and getting on the RAM and everything else? Has anyone run into any problems in this regard? Also any sugestions about an alternative cooler and what might be a good 4G memory solution might be. Looking to do mid range OC. Thanks for any input.

More about : corsair h50 dust

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 6:31:32 PM

Your case is going to be pulling air in regardless of what cooler you use. If you are concerned about the extra air at the radiator, I have seen a lot of people discuss putting a filter of some sort there and it seems to work well. Of course, the location of your case (on the floor vs up on a desk, etc) will be a factor also as well as the amount of "stuff" in the air in your computing environment.
a c 280 K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 9:17:12 PM

Hi.

Personally I would not go with the H50. U can get an amazing cooling performance with the NH-D14 for a little more, Titan Fenrir, Megahalems or even the Hyper 212+ for fewer money.
Related resources
June 30, 2010 12:33:10 AM

saint19 said:
Hi.

Personally I would not go with the H50. U can get an amazing cooling performance with the NH-D14 for a little more, Titan Fenrir, Megahalems or even the Hyper 212+ for fewer money.

It's true that you'll get a little better performance out of those high-end air coolers, but if noise or clearance issues are a concern then the H5O works great.
I used to use the Noctua NH-U12P when the i7 first came out (there were very few HSFs available the first month), but my Cosmos S case has an 8 inch intake fan on the side. I had to remove this fan to allow clearance for the towering HSF. I put the fan back once I got an H5O with no noticable CPU temp rise, plus now the north and south bridges are cooled better. 10 deg C less for the NB with that fan back in place.
June 30, 2010 4:48:07 AM

H50 performs better than the hyper 212 with push pull. Corsair should have just added an extra fan to their radiator set for 5 dollars, and upped the price by 10 dollars, and they'd have gotten alot better results.
a c 280 K Overclocking
June 30, 2010 3:17:23 PM

^The difference are 3C and for the money difference isn't a big deal.

Another fan? more noise, buy the Hyper 212+ with another fan and u get the same performance with fewer price or the Titan Fenrir.

1- Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 10 kick ass on MaximunPC
2- Corsair H50 9 kick ass on MaximunPC

It's just IMO.
July 1, 2010 3:38:03 PM

First let me say thanks to all for your input. I'm thinking of the H50 in a push/pull config. Any sugestions as to which fans to use. The unit comes with only 1 fan.
July 4, 2010 12:14:25 AM

If noise is not an issue, then hook up your radiator with dual Scythe Ultra Kaze 300rpm fans. You might have some clearance isses since they are 120mm x 38mm, but if not there are some 120mm x 25mm Deltas. However, if you prefer less sound, use some adjustable fans like the 2 ball bearing Antecs, the Cooler Master R4 series, Scythe S-Flex Series, or Silverstone 120mm x 25mm fans. Lastly, if you want low sound, premium quality, and don't mind paying extra for quality, then I suggest some Noctua fans, such as the NF-P12 ($25 plus S&H). Also, if you are really that worried about the dust, you can set your fans in the exhaust position, instead of the intake that Corsair recommends to lower your dust intake. (Compressed air or a vacuum can take out dust thru rads)
July 9, 2010 8:22:11 AM

I am going to cut the holes in these filters so that I can slide the filter out and clean it. Here's the filter Im going to buy. Just need to get some longer mounting screws for the H50 since this filter will require a little more length in the screws.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2010 10:54:30 AM

cmcghee358 said:
I am going to cut the holes in these filters so that I can slide the filter out and clean it. Here's the filter Im going to buy. Just need to get some longer mounting screws for the H50 since this filter will require a little more length in the screws.

I have these on my H50
There's no need for longer screws and no need to cut anything, the top grill snaps off to reveal the filter media .
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2010 11:05:57 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I am not familiar with this product or any water cooling stuff) but can you mount it externally therefore eliminating any hot air getting into the case.
July 9, 2010 11:20:36 AM

You "could" but barely and it wouldnt be a feasible solution.
July 16, 2010 10:36:16 AM

Best answer selected by Bob Gossmann.
a c 280 K Overclocking
July 16, 2010 1:32:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
!