Help needed. First time overclocking.

AstonG

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
hi guys.. i'm a first timer in overclocking.. i'm facing some issues.. let me name my build first.. its less than a week old..

motherboard: asus m4a87td/usb3.0
processor: amd phenom II x4 965 c3 stepping 125w
gpu: sapphire hd 5850
psu: corsair hx650
cpu cooler: corsair a50
memory: patriot amd black edition ddr3 1600 cl7 4gb kit
case fans: 5x coolermaster 12cm
case: coolermaster 430
thermal compound: thermalright chillfactor 2
optical drive: samsung sh223 22x dvd drive
hdd: seagate 7200.12 1tb
monitor: samsung b2330 native 1920*1080

ok now let me start. i have been reading alot of guides to overclocking. so today i decided to give it a go.. my ambient temperature is abt 29celsius. my idle cpu temp is 39celsius..

while assembling i tried putting a thin layer of thermal compound but the texture is kinda like some gummy wet clay which made it very hard to put but i did try my best.. it was initially idling at ard 43celsius.. after reapplying the layer i got it down to an idling temperature of 39celsius.

so before i tried everything out, i decided to download coreTemperature and Overdrive. i tot i might as well give it a go using the asus turboV software. i set it to ultimate which increased my clock speed to 3.5ghz then i used turbo unlocker to give it more boost which raised it to 3.618ghz. thing is after this i decided to run a stability test using amd overdrive. within a min the computer crashed and rebooted..

is something wrong with my computer? 5 case fans should be more than enuf with my a50 cooler right? now i'm quite scared that overclocking will spoil my computer.. can anyone advise me on whats wrong?
is the thermal compound supposed to be creamy or something of that sort? mine's more like gummy..

do help me out please.. i would really appreciate all the help i can get..

AstonG

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Each computer processor is different though phenom IIx4 965 is good CPU there are few visible limites,there may be many reasons,
1.Your OC was not stable,means ur CPU voltages where not enough for That frecunecy,
2.Your PC might have got HOTT..
3.You may have overclocked the memory bus together with CPU so memory was out of stability......
4.As i told each chip is different i was able to hit 3.5 Ghz with Celeron D 331 @2.66 Ghz in past which was stable and after that not more than a inch(3.5xor 3.6 or anything )desipte increasing Vcore keeping CPU chilled and that all measure........
4.Lastly,always OC from BIOS manually its the best way,before it read some basic guides about OCing AMD phenom or any other CPU's on the internet there are lots on Tom's too..........

AstonG

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
thanks for the reply kumar.. i have tried 1hr overdrive stability test.. my temperature rose to 55celsius.. its on stock setting.. isnt it a little too high? i mean i read a few forums and people were saying that it'll be ideal if a oc cpu ran at 55celsius after overclocking and on full load.. anyone any opinions?

khicharkumar

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

It depends on which CPU is it some get too hot that you can cook food on them and some rearely get hot........It depends on Clock Speed of Processor of processor if its too high it will get more hot and is same with the Vcore voltage.....So 55 C is of course right for Phenom II x4 after OC on full load its safe temprature........So enjoy the OC fun.... :sol:

AstonG

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

thanks man.. i think i know why the stock temperature is so high.. read on a few forums that asus automatically raise my vid to 1.4v when stock is 1.375.. thus my temperature.. thanks though..