Sign in with
Your question

Re-lapping my Q6600?

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2009 10:50:22 PM

I just finished my first lapping job on my Q6600 G0 at 3.2ghz. I managed to get it from no reflection to a mirror finish. But not quite a mirror finish like ive seen around. There are still some nickel color on the sides.

Is it okay of I do a re-lap and fix things. I checked for even surfaces and all by using the mirror. Im not sure. Maybe I should have taken more time.

I used 220/320/600/800/1500 wet/dry

More or less 15mins for the whole lapping job. Didnt wet the paper though.

Here is a not so good photo taken from the final outcome. And while holding the board with processor in place across from my face I could see my reflection.

Im at 3.2Ghz now 8x400 cpu vcore at 1.35 BIOS. Q6600 G0

Im getting temps on core 0 and 1 57max ; core 2 and 3 52max. Not that much a difference than when didnt lap it. Im using a vendetta2 with Ultra Kaze 3000.

Room temperature would be just 30c or a bit warmer. Tropical Island eheh..No air conditioning while im writing this.

Please tell me what you guys think. Thanks

More about : lapping q6600

a c 172 à CPUs
April 8, 2009 11:36:15 PM

Mirror finish won't get you more than what you have.
April 8, 2009 11:41:29 PM

To get best results, you really need to lap your HSF too. Just doing half doesnt usually bring gains. I learned this when I lapped (initally) my Freezer64Pro, and didnt gain. After lapping my CPU as well, I gained 2-3C.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 9, 2009 12:19:22 AM

u have lapped the CPU, but ur V-core does sound a little high for the overclock u have.
my Q6600 G0 @ 3.2ghz (not lapped) has a V-core of only 1.2125, and has been running 24/7 for the past 11 months at 27-30c.
this is on a Freezer 7 pro.

April 9, 2009 1:35:44 AM

well my default cpu vcore is 1.2875 on bios and on CPU-z so it can't be the same as yours.

Hmm..

Anyways, the question is could I, or maybe should i, do a re-lap or just leave it as is. I am planning a liquid cooled setup in a couple of weeks so just wanna get ready.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2009 6:20:48 PM

captainoats said:

Anyways, the question is could I, or maybe should i, do a re-lap or just leave it as is. I am planning a liquid cooled setup in a couple of weeks so just wanna get ready.

As B-Unit said, you should probably consider lapping your cooler esp. if you've done the razor blade test on the IHS and there isn't any concave/convex deviation from flatness. Your thermal paste will fill in the microscopic gaps but not macroscopic ones caused by lack of flatness beween the IHS and the cooler.

Also lay off that high-calorie stuff you're using in the picture - that'll OC your waistline, not your CPU :sol: 
!