Sign in with
Your question

Question regarding boot sequence and harddisk

Last response: in Overclocking
June 29, 2010 12:50:32 PM

My main windows is on G:// currently.

A year back it was on C:// but due to some unknown problem, I installed windows on G:// and have been using it since. In other words, both my C:// and G:// has Windows XP on it, but I'm using G:// as of now.

Now, as for my problem, it started this morning. I had many error messages popping out every few seconds related to my C:// stating things like

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

"dmio: Harddisk1 write error at block 6269151 due to disk removal"

"{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

so I disconnected the C:// harddisk from my computer.

I then entered BIOS and selected Boot Sequence #1- G:// hardisk.
I then restarted my computer and I kept getting the Blue Screen.

Later on, without any clue of what to do, I tried reconnecting C:// harddisk to my computer.
I then entered BIOS and selected Boot Sequence #1- C:// harddisk, Boot Sequence #2- G:// harddisk.
And everything was back to normal.

Currently,
C://(System)
G://(Boot)

according to Disk Management.

It does seem a bit odd.

1. The errors seem to have disappeared. No error pop-out messages anymore.
2. Why do I get the blue screen when I select G://hardisk as Boot Sequence #1? I mean, I have a windows on G:// harddisk so why am I getting the blue screen?
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2010 4:02:28 PM

The file that tells windows where to boot from is very dumb, it gets installed on the C drive even if you put windows on a different drive. Even if you try to trick it and take out the C drive, then install windows, then put the C drive back, it will still hate on you.

This may help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file with a previous installation of Windows 2000 on a separate partition.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
m
l
!