Sign in with
Your question

SATA problems after motherboard/cpu upgrade.

Last response: in Storage
July 11, 2010 10:09:08 PM

hello,

i just finished upgrading my pc from an agey-vintagey athlon 1400+ xp/some super old all-pci-1.0 motherboard to athlon II x2 cpu/new msi motherboard and i must say it's a real disaster.
i have a 40 gb seagate ide hdd with windows xp sp2 installed there and two sata drives: the first is a 150 gb seagate drive with some data that is, like, deathly important to me, and the second is a 1tb samsung drive with all application data and a giant lot of music and stuff.
well i'm still running the same winxp from this ide and ide drive works just fine with new board, but satas..ugh.
150 gb drive is all in errors, according to chkdsk (i didn't allow it to fix them up just because i'm scared of some more data loss), nearly 80 percent of files are damaged, though they all are still in right places.
also, some hours ago windows stated that 1tb drive is actually 127gb only or something, has no filesystem and should be formatted. now it says that it's a 0b hdd (sounds nice, isn't it) and is still should be formatted.

so, is there any way to avoid data loss? or is it lost already? what's happening to my drives anyway? any ideas?

ps. i used sata drives via pci controller on old system.

pps. sorry for my bad english.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 12, 2010 12:03:44 AM

Well first off XP is now up to Service Pack 3 which may be necessary for your Motherboards SATA controllers to play nicely with your OS. Secondly your previous controller may have configured the drives in such a way that they are configured to respond to only that controller. Always have your data backed up before making making major changes to your PC. Try running the drives on your old controller and get as much data as you can off them. Also you may have some luck using an external HDD setup to place the drives in and extract data. Most importantly update XP and your Motherboard drivers properly and see if this helps.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 12, 2010 12:25:50 AM

The only other point that I can make other than what has already been said is have you installed the Motherboard SATA drivers? The ones that are on the CD that came with the motherboard, also have you installed the chipset drivers on the same CD. Are there updates on the motherboards manufacturer web site? If you have done this try going back to the Microsoft SATA drivers also try updating the drivers with the Microsoft update.
Try reading your disks with an external USB to SATA converter to recover your data.
Related resources
July 13, 2010 1:18:44 AM

thanks a lot guys, i followed your advices and solved this problem. thanks again.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 13, 2010 1:46:25 AM

How did you solve the problem?
July 15, 2010 5:24:36 AM

service pack 3 did it.
there was some minor data loss though. but well, very, very minor.
!