Sign in with
Your question

I7-920 Megahalem Fan placement w/Xclio Windtunnel Advanced

Last response: in Overclocking
June 29, 2010 2:54:08 PM

So, i'm planning on getting this Xclio Windtunnel advanced case along with a new system, a P6T Asus Mobo and a Prolimatech Megahalem's heatsink along with 3/4x 120mm Scythe fans 133.6CFM fans..

Here are pictures of the case/fan placements, and heatsink.

The case has 2x 180mm exhausts on the top (121 CFM), and 2x 250mm side intake fans (Which are rated at 140.2 CFM).

It doesn't come with a rear exhaust fan or a front intake one, so I'm planning on buying 2x of those 120mm Scythe fans for the front intake and rear exhaust.

But for the case of the Megahalem, should I only have one intake fan on the right or two like this picture (one on the right for intake in the heatsink and one on the left for exhaust on the heatsink)? In that picture he doesn't have a rear exhaust, should I put an exhaust fan as well to the left of the heatsink along with the two already on the heatsink? Or just not put the left fan shown on this picture on the Megahalem heatsink while putting a rear 120mm exhaust fan?

I figured it would be redundant seeing as maybe 4-6cm to the left of the heatsink there would be the SAME Scythe case rear exhaust fan? What do you guys think I should do? 4x total 120mm Scythe fans, one front, one rear exhaust, and two on the Megahalem heatsink, one intake, one left exhaust. Or is the exhaust one on the heatsink redundant?

OR do you guys see a better way I can rearrange all the fans in this setup for maximum air flow/cooling? I'm up for any and all suggestions? Thank you.
a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 11:20:44 PM

hwing91 said:
So, i'm planning on getting this Xclio Windtunnel advanced case along with a new system, a P6T Asus Mobo and a Prolimatech Megahalem's heatsink along with 3/4x 120mm Scythe fans 133.6CFM fans..

Here are pictures of the case/fan placements, and heatsink.

The case has 2x 180mm exhausts on the top (121 CFM), and 2x 250mm side intake fans (Which are rated at 140.2 CFM).
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/539/windtunneladvanced01.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/548/airfans.png

It doesn't come with a rear exhaust fan or a front intake one, so I'm planning on buying 2x of those 120mm Scythe fans for the front intake and rear exhaust.

But for the case of the Megahalem, should I only have one intake fan on the right or two like this picture (one on the right for intake in the heatsink and one on the left for exhaust on the heatsink)? In that picture he doesn't have a rear exhaust, should I put an exhaust fan as well to the left of the heatsink along with the two already on the heatsink? Or just not put the left fan shown on this picture on the Megahalem heatsink while putting a rear 120mm exhaust fan?

http://www.hlrse.net/Qwerty/Savanna-01102010/IMG_0851.JPG

I figured it would be redundant seeing as maybe 4-6cm to the left of the heatsink there would be the SAME Scythe case rear exhaust fan? What do you guys think I should do? 4x total 120mm Scythe fans, one front, one rear exhaust, and two on the Megahalem heatsink, one intake, one left exhaust. Or is the exhaust one on the heatsink redundant?

OR do you guys see a better way I can rearrange all the fans in this setup for maximum air flow/cooling? I'm up for any and all suggestions? Thank you.

Hello again,

The push/pull fans will help a bit, but you're going to have to test it to see if an extra fan right next to it is even doing anything. If I had to guess, I'd say you're talking a 1C-2C difference. I'm sure you know this, but those Scythe suckers are loud lol. (I just bought 3 Ultra Kaze's also) But, you're not buying them because of sound, you're buying them because they MOVE air, am I right?

Also... Try setting it up vertically maybe. Heat rises, so it might be slightly more beneficial to exhaust the CPU straight up.
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:47:25 AM

Yeah, I've dealt with 39 dBA fans before and they never really bothered me. I figured 45 wouldn't bother me as well. Plus I intend on getting a fan controller.

Hmm...you make a good point. I do not plan on getting a front intake with the Ultra Kaze, just the back exhaust.

What if I, theoretically, attached 4x scythes to the heatsink all pointing in different directions? Would that not dissipate heat alot? I guess it would blow screw up the airflow in the case a bit, but the CPU would be rather cool would it not?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2010 2:01:01 AM

hwing91 said:
Yeah, I've dealt with 39 dBA fans before and they never really bothered me. I figured 45 wouldn't bother me as well. Plus I intend on getting a fan controller.

Hmm...you make a good point. I do not plan on getting a front intake with the Ultra Kaze, just the back exhaust.

What if I, theoretically, attached 4x scythes to the heatsink all pointing in different directions? Would that not dissipate heat alot? I guess it would blow screw up the airflow in the case a bit, but the CPU would be rather cool would it not?

Hahaha, that sounds awesome, but I don't think it would work. The fans would be fighting each other. I did hear that if you put side panels or shrouds on the side, it helps. It creates a more direct flow of air, and doesn't let any pressure escape out the sides. Some companies are even kind of including this now. Corsair's A70 and what-not have shrouds on the side.

m
l
June 30, 2010 9:30:52 AM

Hahah yeah, just sounded awesome :D .

Well, I might try the attached vertically thing, you think I only need 1 fan on this heatsink?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2010 6:28:06 PM

Yeah probably. Try 1 fan, test temps, then add another, and test the temps if you wanna know for sure. If it does change it, I don't think it will be much, but it's your call whether it's worth it.

For me, I didn't even get a temp drop, so I just removed the second fan. If I had seen even a 2-3C difference, I would've kept it.
m
l
July 1, 2010 12:47:30 AM

Yeah, I looked up tests, only 1 really helps.. Im gonna actually switch down to the scythe slipstreams with 110 CFM and only 37 dBA.
m
l
!