Please Help me in regards to space

breezebay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I have been trying to free up some space on my hard drive, cause it has very little left. I have a quick question .... I came across a TEMP folder and was wondering would it be okay to delete whats in that folder ? It shows some of my presets for my lightroom are in that folder, so I wanted to make sure if I delete whats in the temp folder, then I will not be deleting any of presets . Does that make sense ?

Also ... I have moved alot of my pictures to a flash drive , defragmented (which said I only had 1% to even do that ) and clean my hard -drive. I have removed and deleted everything from recycle bin as well. I am still searching to see what else I can possibly REMOVE from my computer or do to give me more space !!

With all that being said, I still keep getting a pop up from my computer that says "Windows drive only has certain amount of MB of free disk space available, and that it is a critically low amoutn of disk space. " :cry:

How large is you hard drive?

You can delte the contents of C:\Windows|TEMP with no harm. Don't delete that directory though, just what's inside it. Some files you won't be able to delete from there, that's normal.

Also if you are not worried about uninstalling Windows updates, you can delete any of the files in C:\Windows in blue that start with $ and look similar to "$NtUninstallKB952287$. That will free up quite a bit of space.

To delete those, select them and hold shown "Shift" while hitting Delete. That by-passes the Recycle Bin. Note that you don't want to do this often as you won't have any recovery options for the files.

Then you can run the built-in Windows Disk Cleanup and free up more space.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I like the program windirstat that shows graphically what is using your drive space - which folders/subfolders, file types, etc. Makes it very easy to see a few large files nested into subfolders that might be hard to drill down to otherwise, for example.

breezebay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Someone suggested to do the following. ....

Open My Computer.
Right-click the drive you want to compress.
Click Properties.
On the General tab, select the Compress drive to save disk space check box, and then click OK.
In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.

After doing the above.. I just opened my Lightroom and tried to import a photo and I get a message that says " Your disk " Local Disk (C:)", to which you are importing images , is low on space. Please remove files or empty the recycle bin to make at least 250 MB available before proceeding. This is the 1st time I have ever got this message in Lightroom.

I have moved alot of my photos over to a flash-drive, plus deleted some documents that wasnt needed and empty the recycle bin. So with me doing all that I should not be getting this message in Lightroom if I didnt get it before I removed photos and documents. Does that make sense ? Please Help ! I HAVE to have my Lightroom !!

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not a fan of disk compression - just puts more overhead on your files.

Another quick/easy is to allocate less space to your recycle bin - under properties, you should be able to change it - default is something like 10% which is way too much on a very large drive.

Seriously though, try windirstat http://windirstat.info/

Have you tried any of the other suggestions? The one you listed with compressing the drive is actually the worse one to do.

How large is your hard drive to begin with?