Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Can Dual Channel Memory BE THE SAVIOUR....???

Tags:
  • Dual Channel
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 5:12:54 PM

Hello Friend,
I have a lot of PC's with IGP displayes that are creppy...........
A friend of mine asked me that is it possible to increase IGP performence by installing the memory in dual channel arcitecture...........
I know nowdays sine the processors have a large chache size it does not matter as did in old CPU's (they had 256KB's of L2 but now we have the chips with even 12MB of cache on Intel's flagship i7-980x........
But he has a old CPU his specs are:
CPU:Celeron D 331 @2.66 Ghz (the processor i had earlier we both bought identical two pieces years before,i replaced it with E5400)..
RAM: 1x1GB DDR 800 RAM (Runs at 533 Mhz due to CPU's low FSB 133*4=533Mhx
GPU:o n Board GMA x4500
Mobo:Gibabyte G41M-ES2H(it only has pci-e x16 slot running at 4x which kills the discreate GPU's performence if used)
HDD:WD 320 GB SATA II
PSU: 450W don;t know the manuf..

So he is planning to put a one more identical stick of RAM in his mobo so to enable dual Chaneel DDRII 533 Mhz......I also reommended him to OC the FSB at 166*4=667 so that RAM can perform at 667 Mhz in dual channel....(It can be done by chnging mem multiplyer there is option for it too but unable to change)...And he's not planning to get a new CPU and GPU so will this Dual Channel Help him in improving Graphic performance slightly as IGP uses systems RAM........
I know doing OC will as i did on the same chip that i had(FSB 175*4) .....the only thing i wanna know is :
Does The Dual Channel Mem helps to improve IGP perofmence in case of low speed CPU(low chache too) and by how much if there are some statastics for it will help too...........?? PLEASE REPLY......
Please Note:
He does not gonna play Crysis nor COD4.... :non:  ..... as they will be Crisis for his PC as he need is some boost in FPS in causual gaming titles....

Thanks All...

More about : dual channel memory saviour

Best solution

a c 108 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 29, 2010 10:20:16 PM

I think you would get much better gains with an older graphics card that will not be so crippled by the 4x slot something like a Radeon 4650. Like I say I think it will be a much larger performance boost in terms of FPS.
June 30, 2010 12:14:26 AM

Um dont you have to have the ram tested for dual channel? Thats why they make you return both sticks not just one. You'd have to order a dual channel kit.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 5:13:25 AM

yo_yo2400 said:
Um dont you have to have the ram tested for dual channel? Thats why they make you return both sticks not just one. You'd have to order a dual channel kit.

No no that not how it goes,
He has dual chnnel certified mobo and a single stick of PC2-6400 1GB RAM which is dual channel certified..........so putting the same stick in the DIMM slot will activate DUAl Channel which make the RAM bandwith to be 128 bit othe than 64bit.............
So i just wanted to know that how much the IGP GMA x4500 will benfit from this..........
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 5:18:29 AM

simon12 said:
I think you would get much better gains with an older graphics card that will not be so crippled by the 4x slot something like a Radeon 4650. Like I say I think it will be a much larger performance boost in terms of FPS.

Thanks for your help....
What you told is exactly right but he's not intended to buy a discrete GPU.... :pt1cable: 
I only wanted to the % of performence increment in casual games using dual channel RAM as it doubles the bandwith (128 bit insted of 64bit).As the IGP uses system's RAM resources they will benfit from it.......
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2010 5:40:58 AM

I think the system will benefit from more RAM more than the fact that its dual channel. Also I think there is something in what YoYo says about buying a kit of matched RAM but I don't know how important it is maybe someone else can tell you.
m
l
June 30, 2010 4:54:14 PM

The reason you se Dual Channel RAM packages are that those are matched pairs (from the same production batch), and are supposed to give better results than two identical ram sticks bought separatly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2010 11:34:17 AM

Thanks all for the reply's. The performance improvement after installing Dual Channel memory in Game's FPS in 25-30% and in memory performance its 10-15%..........That's what i wanted to figure out..BTW thanks ..
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2010 2:14:46 PM

Best answer selected by khicharkumar.
m
l