Sign in with
Your question

New build unresponsive

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2009 9:27:23 PM

new: i restarted and updates were being configured as the OS loaded. the comp again went unresponsive and the updates failed to install. now i've receiving the message "updates were not configured correctly. reverting changes. do not turn off your computer"

the blue circle just spins and spins and nothing happens.

so...i recently built my new comp. everything seems to work fine but i am experiencing unresponsiveness. the OS loads and everything works fine for a couple minutes but then the mouse/keyboard go almost completely dead. i move the mouse around and eventually the cursor will jump but that's about it.

this is also leading to issues installing windows updates.

thanks in advance for any help

specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
EVGA 512-P3-N980-AR GeForce 9800 GT Hybrid Power
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
LITE-ON 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
Patriot Viper 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Antex TX1050B case
120mm rear fan
80 mm front fan

More about : build unresponsive

January 10, 2009 10:29:09 PM

Did you test your RAM to make sure it is stable, using 4 sticks is trickier than using only 2. You might need to increase voltage, lower the speed and/or lower the latency; the CAS5 + 2.1V @1066MHz is for 2x2GB, not 4x2GB.
January 10, 2009 10:45:19 PM

how would i go about testing the ram? and what would you suggest for changes, if need be?

also, is there anything i can do/run to test the general stability of the system? should i run a stress test? if so, which one?
Related resources
January 10, 2009 11:25:52 PM

To test the RAM, I use Memtest86+. You burn it on a CD and boot from it (also included on Knoppix LiveCD if you have it).
January 11, 2009 1:15:20 AM

so...i've decided that i'm just going to reformat the hdd and reinstall the OS since i really havent used the comp for much yet.

the problem is...i cant even get it to boot in safe mode w/command prompt. i'm starting to get annoyed.
January 11, 2009 2:18:23 AM

As I said, you will have to find a way to make sure the RAM is OK, if not, reinstall won't change a thing and/or will fail.

One thing you could try is to run with only 2 sticks of RAM (or even 1 if necessary). If it works, get Memtest86+, burn it on a CD, then play with memory settings until you can run it without errors.
January 12, 2009 1:39:01 AM

okay...i have memtest86+ but haven't run it. i stripped it down to 1 stick of ram and tried to boot.

in normal mode, it runs chkdsk and freezes at 64%

in safe mode, it freezes with the last file loaded as:
\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

i have absolutely no idea what to do now
January 12, 2009 1:48:36 AM

You can try to run memtest first on your single stick of RAM or try to reinstall windows. Chkdisk freezing is either a problem with chkdisk (duh!) or it could mean a corrupt HD/install.
!