Anyone have spare AMD Athlon 64 for me to BORROW?

DO I HAVE TO RUN A POLL?

• WTF

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • WTF lol

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

godsgift2dagame

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I recently bought a $700 complete system with Phenom2 and BIOSTAR TA790GX, but I will need to flash my BIOS with an AM2 AM2+ processor. I can't afford to buy a "spare" so I'm asking for some faith from someone on tomshardware or maximumpc who has multiple PC's/spare parts they can afford to lease to me. I can't really pay anyone anything, but I could pay for your shipping. I would really appreciate it, as the mobo was advertised as capable, but no mention of needed BIOS flash. For the BIOS flash, sadly I will need to use an Athlon or Sempron and as I've been a Intel guy (currently running Celeron M 1.7 ghz), and I will mention it again, I would really appreciate it!

godsgift2dagame

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
That's the thing..I don't have much money to spare...like $10 max.

I want to either borrow someone's or get newegg to refund me without charging restocking fee, as I would buy a Phenom 2 compatible board.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
You spent $700 on a computer and don't have $30 to spare in order to troubleshoot or fix it? Are you able to buy groceries next week? Maybe you should return everything.

godsgift2dagame

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Haha, not quite. See, I'm 18 and work min. wage job having saved up cash for a couple months. My mom finally agreed to let me build PC instead of buy from store. However, after it didn't work first time, she doesn't think I can do it and says it was a 'huge mistake' that she will pay me money back for but doesn't want me ever to do again. Basically, not in the greatest financial situation. Just trust me, I feel bad about spending $10 more dollars for Artic Cooler MX2...lol

Cheesevillage

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I built a rig in grade 10 (younger than you are right now!) with an athlon 64 3200 and 9600xt.
My parents encouraged me with such a project but knew very little about it.

You need to grow up. Having her "let you" build a comp from scratch at age 18 is effing scary.

Good luck.

-Cheese

Buy and return a CPU...borrow one from a friend...see what the computer store will charge for a bios flash...

godsgift2dagame

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for the advice cheesevillage and I get your point of view. However, my mom and myself (with my brother) have been through things you could never imagine. Trust me on that. Much worse than ANYTHING you could dream up. I'm very close to her and EVERY decision has to be discussed. Yes, I am 18, but if I can spend money on a PC, why can't I pay rent? See the problem there? We are not in a great financial situation and for her to "allow" me to build a PC takes a lot of love and respect. You're like my friends, though, and you won't be able to relate (which is fine, by the way), but she is my best friend and she has been through all of the tribulations with me.

But on to the news regarding a PC...I think I am able to convince NewEgg to refund me the money and try to start over from the beginning with a compatible MOBO and better psu.

godsgift2dagame

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I skipped over the growing up part. No offense, but you don't know me. I've never done bad things, I work long hours and still get all A's and B's, take care of myself physically, and will this summer begin taking classes to become a Software Engineer. If you mean I've been sheltered, well, again I've been through things people should never go through. Sorry to take it out on you, but I hate being "sized up" without ever meeting a person.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
funny thing is your also "sizing" him up, he could have been through something just as tragic, you cant use what you've gone through as a handy-cap nobody wants to hear it. Just putting it out there, not trying to offend you. ebay was a good suggestion, also local craigslist if its in your area (post a wanted ad, I've always gotten a lot of traffic).

Cheesevillage

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
So long as you've got your shyt together. Was I judging you? Yes. Doesn it matter? No. figured you might need some intervention...

if not..

...the issue at hand is the comp. If all else fails Im sure your local computer store can hook you up.

Like I said - good luck.

-Cheese

I don't have a compatible cpu.

Learning how to work on PC's is an invaluable experience IMO. Don't give up on it b/c of finances.

However, at the same time, I am very practical. Maybe give your mom a few dollars here and there to help out, while saving some gradually to get a replacement cpu. Ebay is a good way to get a cheap/used cpu, but there are no guarantees on the quality.

godsgift2dagame

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks guys! My rep. is trying to give me refund without me seinding back iother parts of combos (300 case and Phenom 2 720). if that works, i'll buy new parts today.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Iv got to ask if you got to keep these parts...and if you buttered that rep for em real good? was he a push over? or is this an expected reaction....

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Got that intel shoved pretty far up your ass don't ya?

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Take a look on ebay or even craigslist mate.

I have an AMD 64 3500+ AM2 but... it's in a secondary system, and I don't think anyone is going to loan you a computer chip over the interweb.