How to manually alocate memory for a new device

stewbond

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hi All,

I just installed a second PCI-E video card and while the card is recognized, I get the following messages for the new Video Card:

Resources tab in Device Manager: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)".

My first video card is still working fine and has all of the resources it needs.

I have two quetsions:

1. What resource is it talking about? Is this my actually installed RAM, or is there a chip on the MoBo which contains a limited supply of memory for this purpose (meaning I am SOL)?

2. How can I manually allocate the memory for this device?

My hardware specs:
MoBo: M2N-E SLI
VC1: 8600 GT
VC2: 8400 GS

Note: I am not running SLI as I am trying to use 3 displays.

Thanks All!

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
The explanation is a little vague so I'll add this. Go into the device manager and expand "Display Adapters". Right click on each card and go to properties. Check the "Resources" tab for a conflict.

Code 12: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use

Updated: August 31, 2007

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Diagnosis

Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel. The assignment was made by either the basic input/output system (BIOS), the operating system, or a combination of the two.
Resolution

This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device. You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device.

stewbond

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Thanks for the response, this is exactly the problem.

Unfortunately I think I know what is conflicting. My first video card is using the resources that the second video card is requesting. There are no other devices in my manager that have any conflicts.