Sign in with
Your question

Help a girl out.....New build 1800.00 to blow!

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2009 10:26:48 PM

I am finally ready to build a new system and could really use some help.
For starters:

I will use this for gaming but not necessarily latest, most demanding games. More RPG and Flight Simulator stuff, Oblivion type games
Video playback will be for Blu-ray and dvd's
Video card to support 24-25" monitor; prefer single video card solution like HD 4870 1 GB or similar
Do not want to get into complicated liquid cooling so want suggestions for cool cases ( probably full tower?) and cooling solutions
Two HD: one fast and efficient; one large for storage
Good quality memory combined with a quality MB that is known to be compatible with the memory
Adequate power supply probably non modular but will appreciate pros and cons on this one ( Corsair, PC Power and Cooling)
Suggestions for cabling kits to get everything nice and neat and out of the way
Card reader
Dvd drive (lightscribe) and additional drive for back up
Will be going wireless eventually so will need a good router or MB with built in
No crappy off brands for anything
Prefer to get everything at Newegg

Will probably want to go with i7 920. Don't see the need to spend the extra $ on 940.

Thanks so much for the help and suggestions! :hello: 

More about : girl build 1800 blow

January 10, 2009 11:01:17 PM

To just start you out:

Case: Coolermaster CM 690- This is a midtower case, but a very good one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe is a good one, could save like $50 and go with P6T

CPU: i7-920

Memory: 6gb G. Skill DDR3 Triple Channel 1600 MHz-This is probably the cheapest 6GB set available and from what I have read it is very decent ram.

HDD: WD Caviar Black 640 GB 7200 RPM

GPU: For a 25" Monitor you will want to get a decent card, even if you are playing some older games. GTX 260 core 216 would probably be good, or HD 4870. Get an EVGA card so that if you decide you want a better one, you can use their step up program and just pay the difference between the one you have and a better one.

Optical Drive: I'm not very knowlegable on these, but this one looks like a good value since you want blu-ray

PSU: Corsair 650tx

Total: $1409.92

Do you already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse? If not this leaves you about $400 for those. A 25" Monitor will cost you though.
Monitor:

Mouse and Keyboard:

Grand Total: $1759.90
January 11, 2009 12:27:02 AM

From your list, it seems like you have a pretty clear idea already :) 

MS Flight Sim X is pretty demanding.

Really, don't discount "Oblivion-like games." Oblivion was cutting edge and VERY demanding when it was first released. I know, because I had to upgrade for it. Expect similar events in the future.

This is a list I have put together for someone needing a $1500 rig. If you replace the two "Toxic" 4870s with the 1GB Sapphires, you'll be all set.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

xthekidx has good suggestions. The CM 690 is a good case, but the HAF is better.

I don't see any on board solutions for wireless in X58 yet, so you'll need to grab a card for that. Be careful about 64-bit compatibility.
Related resources
January 11, 2009 1:23:47 AM

Sounds like you are spending WAY past what you're uses are going to be for it. I'd spend about half what you are planning, maybe less. I'm guessing you're in the buy it and don't upgrade for a long time mindset.
you get better average performance by buying cheaper and upgrading more often.

a 4670 might be enough for your uses, depending if you want to crank your eyecandy in the games.

put that extra money toward a better monitor and nicer speakers for watching those movies on.

I've a $15 pci WiFi card. Rosewill RNX-G300EX. works great. and it works with vista 64. I don't know who builds it for newegg.

I don't think you need 2x HDDs either. a big HDD is usualy faster than a small HDD, unless you realy want to burn some cash, then get a raptor or the like.

If I was to spend $1800 on a computer, it would be a gaming laptop.
laptops are very nice to have around the house. maybe keep a desk with an external screen and keyboard with the power plug, and another plug or 2 were you'd use them. plug the thing into a 1080p bigscreen to playt your movies. get a network printer, maybe even network storage drives. laptops sure are convenient.
January 11, 2009 1:57:46 AM

Here is how I see things cost wise:
Most expensive:
1) i7 built system
2) AMD Phenom II built system
3) C2D/C2Q built system

* The i7 is the most expensive, mainly because of the spendy mobo's and the DDR3 required memory. This system is also on the latest socket for Intel, so this can be a plus, depending on your future demands.
* The AMD Phenom II is a little less and performs close to the i7's performance (depending on which applications). The only drawback is that the current Phenom II CPU's are going into an aging mobo socket, which is almost at it's end. This isn't necessarially a bad thing, but something to consider. You will have limited CPU upgrades later, but your $ spent won't be quite as much as the i7's right now. This Phenom II setup is a good consideration, when you need to meet a budget or want some extra options that you can't afford on the i7 system.
* The C2D/C2Q system is running on the s775 chipset. This isn't necessarially a bad thing, but something to consider. Since the i7 came out on the s1366 socket, the s775 is done. Currently the C2D/C2Q CPU's are what I'd call a good option, when budget is a consideration. Personally I'd probably go with a q6600/q9450/q9550 based system for your needs. It'll afford you more options and still cost you less than the i7 based system. It'll probably cost you about the same as the Phenom II based system, but should be able to outperform it, when OC'd.

So with that in mind:
~$1200-2000 for an i7 based system
~$750-1200 for Phenom II or C2D/C2Q system

This is how I see it working out. You can decide which way you want to go. I think the Phenom II or C2D/C2Q system would be just fine for your needs. Than in 2-3 years from now you can replace the system with something faster, especially with the savings that you'd be getting with either PhII or C2D/C2Q system.
January 11, 2009 3:29:08 AM

lunyone said:

* The AMD Phenom II is a little less and performs close to the i7's performance (depending on which applications).

I disagree. I have seen benchmark scores that puts Phenom II 940 close to the Q9400, but not quite as good as Q9550, and definately not competitive with i7's. Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=349...

If you can't afford the I7, then Core 2 duo E8400/8500/8600 would probably be better for a gaming rig. Intel core 2 quads would be a good option too, but the duo's have more OC potential for gaming performance. But she says she has the money for an I7 and if she can afford it then I would say that is the way to go.
January 11, 2009 3:36:25 AM

Yeah not sure what you are looking at lunyone. All the benchamarks I see pretty much have the Phenom IIs making a sandwich with the Q6600. 920 slightly slower, 940 slightly faster.
January 11, 2009 3:42:12 AM

I know I don't have much input being a beginner in system building but if you plan on playing games where reaction times matter, wireless will not be the best option. I encountered this issue while playing Counter-Strike and while you said you will be playing less reflex-demanding games, it should still be something to be kept in mind. Wired keyboards and mice aren't all that bad either and are pretty much on par with wireless; I just bought a Microsoft Recluse Gaming Keyboard for about 50 bucks and although it's gotten both good and bad reviews, it is a keyboard that has two USB ports and thus makes a wired mouse much more feasible. Plus it matches my case and mouse light :) .
January 11, 2009 6:09:02 AM

Proximon and xthekidx have offered you great suggestions above. Here are a few more to round things out:

Blu-ray optical drive: LG GGC-H20L (note: you'll also have to buy Power DVD to watch BR in multichannel audio)

Lightscribe DVD burner: Samsung SH-S223Q. The BR drive above has Lightscribe and DVD burning capability, but this one is a faster DVD burner if speed matters to you. If you don't need Lightscribe here, then SH-S223F.

Video card: Consider a single card of the newer 55nm GTX 260 Core 216, which you would overclock, then add another one in SLI later (e.g. eVGA's part number 1255-AR). Alternatively, you could consider looking at the GTX 280, which is on sale right now pending the release of the newer GTX 285 on January 15.

CPU: i7 920 and 940 are the same processor, get 920 and OC because both chips have similar upper limits.

Case: 932 HAF is great, especially with your intended gear. However, I also like the CM690, which has lots of space to add fans (e.g. two 140 mm brackets on the roof, an 80 mm under the CPU, etc.). CM690 also includes plastic cable management brackets, which is a nice touch.

System drive: WD Caviar Black 640 GB, or Velociraptor 300GB if you've got extra budget.

Data drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB. Don't use Seagate 7200.11 drives as they have problems.

Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe--you will want the 16 phase power for OC'ing the i7, which you will probably do at some point, if not now. If you can wait, then wait for the P6T Deluxe V2.

Monitor: Go with 24" over 25.5 or 26, because they have the same native resolution (1920x1200) and 24 will be sharper with slightly smaller pixels. Samsung or Acer here, I like the Samsung T240.

Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT, with corresponding LGA 1366 backplate.

Thermal paste: Arctic Cooling MX-2

Mouse: Logitech G5

Router: Linksys WRT54GL (the Linux version), upgrade with Tomato firmware

Wireless adapter: Linksys WMP54G

You're not absolutely clear, but if all the extra add-ons have broken your budget (and I suspect that they have), then I would scale down to the LGA 775 platform and go with the following (less CPU, more GPU):

E7400 > E8500 / E8400
Asus P5Q Deluxe or P5Q-E
G.Skill Pi Black DDR2-900 (2x2GB)
Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB Toxic Edition in Crossfire

You didn't mention an OS, as that will also have to be factored into your cost ($100 for Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM).

Good luck with your build!
January 11, 2009 8:12:51 AM

xthekidx said:
I disagree. I have seen benchmark scores that puts Phenom II 940 close to the Q9400, but not quite as good as Q9550, and definately not competitive with i7's. Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=349...

If you can't afford the I7, then Core 2 duo E8400/8500/8600 would probably be better for a gaming rig. Intel core 2 quads would be a good option too, but the duo's have more OC potential for gaming performance. But she says she has the money for an I7 and if she can afford it then I would say that is the way to go.

Well if you believe everything from Anand's site than it'll almost always show you that Intel is better. Here's part of a review that shows Phenom II just a tad better than a i7 system on Crysis. This isn't the gospel, but depending on where you get your info, you might be surprised at the outcome.
January 11, 2009 8:20:52 AM

With the OC'ers review and Tom's article, it looks like we have a new player in the gaming CPU world. Depending on the price point... and some new cooling MB options, it could be a value leader.
January 11, 2009 8:52:20 AM

alcattle said:
With the OC'ers review and Tom's article, it looks like we have a new player in the gaming CPU world. Depending on the price point... and some new cooling MB options, it could be a value leader.

You know, it really pays to read the full "review" before making an assumption. The Overclockers Club review is done with a single 4850, and is completely GPU limited.
January 11, 2009 9:40:04 AM

xthekidx said:

Dual cores are out and finnished these days - dont even think about them.

GTA IV thrashes even an Intel i7.
January 11, 2009 10:58:45 AM

apache_lives said:
Dual cores are out and finnished these days - dont even think about them.

GTA IV thrashes even an Intel i7.

It's true that the tendency is toward quad but I wouldn't say that dual cores are out of the equation yet. A high clocked dual core still can play pretty much any game out there as well if not better than quad since very few games are capable of really exploiting multi threading fit for a quad.

January 11, 2009 12:34:11 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Proximon, I could not view your list on Newegg.
The Asus board reviews scare me and I do not want to deal with RMA hassles on my first build. Any other board suggestions? Gigabyte or a proven Asus x58 board with better reviews?
I definitely want a single vid card with the most bang for the buck but proven stability . Currently a toss up between GT 260 216 and a HD 4870 1GB. On the EVGA program, do they allow you to simply purchase another for crossfire or sli or must it be an upgraded card? Might consider a single HD and just get an external for back ups and storage. We have to start from scratch here as all our current computer components ( except the 22" monitor) are ancient. Will be going with Vista 64 bit and hope for the best until Windows 7 is out of beta. DO like the idea of a gaming laptop but that would be down the line and not in this current budget.
January 11, 2009 5:18:42 PM

Laptops are too expensive for gamers on a budget. you will get the same performance from a desktop for half the price.

On EVGA's step up program: it is a replacement program so that if you buy a card and decide you want a better one, you just return the one you have and pay them the difference for a better one. You don't get another card for the price of the difference in the cards and get to keep the one you have. Everyone would do that if that were the case and EVGA would go bankrupt in a week.
January 11, 2009 5:31:33 PM

So you have a 22" monitor and you want to buy another 24" monitor? If you already have a monitor that already runs at a good resolution (and I am assuming your 22" does) then I would say use the money you would spend on another monitor and get a second gtx 260 216 and run them in sli, or perhaps spring for the gtx 285/295
January 11, 2009 6:53:38 PM

The actual plan is for TWO new computers. The larger monitor will be for the gaming/viewing set up ( this build) and the old 22 will be for the basic system my daughter will use for general homework and internet. We will configure that in the spring after tax refunds! It might actually be a laptop, just not sure which way to go for a 12 year old! Any ideas about a more reliable MB?
January 11, 2009 10:36:16 PM

lunyone said:
Well if you believe everything from Anand's site than it'll almost always show you that Intel is better. Here's part of a review that shows Phenom II just a tad better than a i7 system on Crysis. This isn't the gospel, but depending on where you get your info, you might be surprised at the outcome.

Anandtech will almost always tell you Intel is better because Intel IS better. Intel is the industry leader and if Intel cuts prices on Q9400 and Q9550 as it has been rumored, they will still be the better option for price (and I don't doubt they will, since they can afford to). And as said before, that system is limited by gpu (HD 4850 is by no means a top of the line card anymore and most new games on high settings would easily max it out) and the differences in performance can be attributed to chance error.
January 12, 2009 1:23:53 AM

xthekidx said:
Anandtech will almost always tell you Intel is better because Intel IS better. Intel is the industry leader and if Intel cuts prices on Q9400 and Q9550 as it has been rumored, they will still be the better option for price (and I don't doubt they will, since they can afford to). And as said before, that system is limited by gpu (HD 4850 is by no means a top of the line card anymore and most new games on high settings would easily max it out) and the differences in performance can be attributed to chance error.

Well that may be the case, but don't believe everthing you read. All reviews have some slant on things, so don't expect your token review to be the gospel. If you believe Intel "IS" better, than I'm betting your believed that the p4 "WAS" better than the Athlon XP of its day?? I'm not saying AMD is better, I'm just showing my point that you can get whatever result (basically) that your looking for from a "review" site and you shouldn't think it is the gospel. Yes when 80-90% of the review sites have better results on one CPU/GPU over the other, than there might be some truth to it. I try and inform the OP of any/all options available that might not have been thought of. This way the OP can make an informed decision on which way they want to go. If the OP wants to stick with whatever option, that is up to the OP. After several posts from the OP, I'm seeing that she would like to stick with the i7 setup, which isn't a bad decision. Either setup will work out just fine, so there really isn't a bad choice (which is my point).
January 12, 2009 3:36:24 AM

Fair enough. P2 is a good option for a smaller budget, but I say if you can afford it, i7 is the way to go.
January 12, 2009 4:19:52 AM

xthekidx said:
Fair enough. P2 is a good option for a smaller budget, but I say if you can afford it, i7 is the way to go.

EXACTLY my point. If you can afford the i7 and don't mind spending more on it, than by all means buy it. Most people will buy a C2D/C2Q/PhII setup and use the savings on something else, but for the early adopters they will more than likely get the i7.
January 12, 2009 4:57:00 AM

I agree with the poster above me...if u wanna "BLOW" ur money like u said then go with i7...but i strongly suggest going quad core (Q9550). I came on here with the same mindset of having i7 system. but soon realised that at this point in time its not worth it, mainly because i7's just came out, and if u wait a while the prices are gonna go down def. but Q9550 are pretty fast. and combine that with a DDR2 memory and MSI P45 Platinum Motherboard - Intel P45 motherboard...you will def. save atleast $200-$300 (6gb of DDR3 will cost you $200, 8gb of DDR2 will cost you $100)

you can always overclock it, and you'll get better results then what i7 would give you!!!

good luck with your build!
January 12, 2009 5:03:57 AM

^buying an i7 setup is not "BLOWING" your money. You will get better bang for your buck with the Q9550, but if you go with the i7 your system will last longer and have more room for expansion in the future.
January 12, 2009 6:23:24 AM

lunyone said:

LOL. Ya, lets compare a OC P2 940 against a stock i7. How about a fair test????????? Clock for clock, or max OC for Max OC.

Your retarded if you think P2 comes even close to i7. Lets see some sissoft sandra comparisons so we can see how bad P2 relly sucks.
January 12, 2009 6:28:33 AM

fatcat said:
It's true that the tendency is toward quad but I wouldn't say that dual cores are out of the equation yet. A high clocked dual core still can play pretty much any game out there as well if not better than quad since very few games are capable of really exploiting multi threading fit for a quad.

If we know its a future thing then why cut ourselves off now with poor system choices? If you can afford a quad (come on! there cheap - why the hell not) then go for it, and its not as if your not using those other cores most of the time - that heavy A/V app, background tasks, torrent downloading etc all gets offloaded to allow your games and apps to run at full potential, its the same argument back when we had single vs dual core - no one would dare touch a single core these days - why bother with dual cores now?
January 12, 2009 6:43:43 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
LOL. Ya, lets compare a OC P2 940 against a stock i7. How about a fair test????????? Clock for clock, or max OC for Max OC.

Your retarded if you think P2 comes even close to i7. Lets see some sissoft sandra comparisons so we can see how bad P2 relly sucks.

LOL i think that oc'd phenom II would be about the performance of a stock i7 (a higher model anyhow)

Now now roadrunner dont get ahead of ourselves - sisoft sandra is meaningless in reality (you cant claim you use that program for productive use or gaming etc - its a bunch of numbers), you could have atleast said Winrar (double the performance on the intel lol) but overall that phenom is cheaper and close, the intel as usual throughout history (bar the P4 era) more expensive and a bit quicker etc.

what we don't see in the benchmarks is the platforms etc - the intel chipsets are second to none, with support for SLI and Crossfire, and huge memory performance and plenty of threads makes an i7 based system feel alive and very responsive - benchmarks wont show that sort of thing.
January 12, 2009 6:48:15 AM

I'm not going to get into the middle of this three way CPU and VGA battle, but if you act fast you can get a killer deal on a very good PSU.

PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W

Original Price: $249.99
You Save: $130.00
$119.99
($79.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Offer valid from 1/1/09 to 1/16/09 at Newegg.com & Newegg.ca ONLY
January 12, 2009 6:51:24 AM

xthekidx said:
^buying an i7 setup is not "BLOWING" your money. You will get better bang for your buck with the Q9550, but if you go with the i7 your system will last longer and have more room for expansion in the future.

You know i had the same argument with a Pentium III system over a Pentium 4 (Socket 423) system - the latter being very pricey, more performance etc - luckily i waited a bit and behold the Socket 423 design was scrapped along with RDRam etc for Socket 478 and DDR1/SDR etc

There is a mainstream i7 like design coming soon with a different socket and dual channel ddr3 - i suspect history will repeat and that i7 socket will go like Socket 940 and Socket 423...
January 12, 2009 8:31:10 AM

Zorg said:
I'm not going to get into the middle of this three way CPU and VGA battle, but if you act fast you can get a killer deal on a very good PSU.

PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W

Original Price: $249.99
You Save: $130.00
$119.99
($79.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Offer valid from 1/1/09 to 1/16/09 at Newegg.com & Newegg.ca ONLY

Wow. That really IS an awesome deal.
January 12, 2009 9:06:26 AM

I don't think all this arguing is helping the original poster make her decision
January 12, 2009 9:45:17 AM

Amidst this very enlightening platform discussion, Occam's razor:

MOBO: If you want an alternative mobo that suits your purposes, the only other one that I would suggest is the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P: Newegg link. Unfortunately, it is brand new and just released, even newer than the P6T Deluxe--you would be writing the very first Newegg review... :ouch: 

Given the nature of the 2 month old i7 platform and those negative reviews that you see on Newegg, the safe money is on the P6T Deluxe V2, IMHO.

HDD: An external backup drive is preferrable. If you go that route and want a faster and bigger primary drive, then get the WD Caviar Black 1TB. That way, your backup drive will mirror your primary drive.

PSU: Zorg's PSU deal is the same one as in Proximon's list and also one that I would recommend without reservation. The only catch is that it is red and would clash in a gaming case with a clear side panel and blue LED fans. However, if you get a CM690, then you won't see it. If you get a HAF, then it may even match the red LED fans.

That is all fine and dandy, but when the rubber hits the pavement, keep this in mind: a 750W PSU will allow you to run two 4870 cards, but only one of the nVidias. Two nVidias in SLI will require 850W for some extra margin.

I realize that you have said twice that you want a single video card, but +1 to Proximon and don't discount Flight Sim and the Oblivion-types. While it is fine to have a single card now, I wouldn't close off the option of running 2 cards in the future.

Bottom line--the PC P&C is a fantastic deal, but your whole system is interconnected.

VIDEO CARD: "Most bang for the buck plus proven stability"=55nm eVGA GTX 260 Core 216. Potential to overclock and backed by a limited lifetime warranty, as long as you don't step-up that card (you don't seem to be the GTX 295 type anyways).

Good luck!
January 12, 2009 11:42:10 AM

Akebono and others, Thank you!! Exactly what I needed. Yes, I am considering the Gigabyte board as it outperformed the EVGA as well as the Asus P6T Deluxe. Is the Asus V2 even available yet? That brings us to the video card. I've got to crunch numbers but the EVGA GTX Core 216 is the easy choice with the possibility of going SLI in the future BUT now I am thinking maybe the prices will go down on the HD 4870 X2 and I will be set without needing to upgrade this set up except maybe memory. Considering what I will be using it for, do you think it makes since to grab the PC P&C deal and get the better card as soon as ( I hope) the price drops? Will 750W ( of this quality) cover the set up Akebono listed but with an HD 4870 X2 ?

Thanks so much everyone!
January 12, 2009 11:45:58 AM

Forgot to ask: What about cooling requirements for the added heat of the HD 4870X2? Also, don't really care about the color coordinating of parts so any case with enough wiggle room and superior cooling will suffice. Remember this is my first build and I want it to be fairly hassle free so I will want to build more and more....
January 12, 2009 12:03:06 PM

Hard to beat the quality and price on the PSU. I'd get it as soon as you can. These kind of quality PSU's at that price are hard to find. There are only a few things that you could probably get and not have much price changes in. That would be the case, PSU, & your basic DVD Burner. All of the other parts fluctuate with demand/supply. When you can get a good deal on any of the mentioned parts, I'd jump on them.
I'd say get the 4870x2 if your considering it. You won't be disappointed. The PCP&C PSU can easily handle even 2 of the 4870x2's and all of it's stuff, so don't worry about that too much.
January 12, 2009 12:11:43 PM

Elizabeth_B said:
Akebono and others, Thank you!! Exactly what I needed. Yes, I am considering the Gigabyte board as it outperformed the EVGA as well as the Asus P6T Deluxe. Is the Asus V2 even available yet? That brings us to the video card. I've got to crunch numbers but the EVGA GTX Core 216 is the easy choice with the possibility of going SLI in the future BUT now I am thinking maybe the prices will go down on the HD 4870 X2 and I will be set without needing to upgrade this set up except maybe memory. Considering what I will be using it for, do you think it makes since to grab the PC P&C deal and get the better card as soon as ( I hope) the price drops? Will 750W ( of this quality) cover the set up Akebono listed but with an HD 4870 X2 ?

Thanks so much everyone!

You might want to wait until the 40nm shrink of the HD 48xx die coming around this Q2-ish?

40nm = cooler, cheaper and more power efficient.

Maybe try a HD 4850 X2, similar performance, lower price? It'll depend on the game I know.

The Corsair 850W PSU should be enough for a HD 4870 X2, and can suppot up to two even (depending on processor)

I think your spending a little too much on a computer. Just a thought tho... I just find it funny that you can build my rig more than four times over with that money ;)  .

Elizabeth_B said:
Forgot to ask: What about cooling requirements for the added heat of the HD 4870X2? Also, don't really care about the color coordinating of parts so any case with enough wiggle room and superior cooling will suffice. Remember this is my first build and I want it to be fairly hassle free so I will want to build more and more....

It should be ok. Acceptable temps, but nothing awesome. Just make sure you make the case nice and clean and bundle all the cables nicely.

Acoustically wise, its gonna be a nightmare, but honestly, I doubt anyone has a passively cooled HD 4870, let alone a HD 4870 X2
January 12, 2009 12:34:13 PM

So I am ditching the HD 4870 X2 as my budget just can't go there. The GTX 260 Core 216 is the winner but which one?
OR
OR

Oh BTW, amdfangirl, this is an entirely new system which I intend to keep for a long time. I would rather purchase the best I can afford now and keep it than constantly upgrading. When I am ready to buy a budget machine, I will PM you for tips. Just not the route I want to go this time.
January 12, 2009 12:51:08 PM

The third card, being 55nm, would be the best choice. Should run cooler.
January 12, 2009 1:08:18 PM

I just read a very thorough review on Hardwarecanucks. The overall opinion is it runs about the same temps and power consumption is not much lower. Apparently they cut the heatsink a little on the 55. The 55 is quieter, though. I'll go with the supercharged version. Still trying to decide on the case. Does anyone like the Antec 900? I am worried about space for the GTX 260.
January 12, 2009 1:43:50 PM

I just built a i7 920 system with a SSC 260/216 with a HAF case and love it. UD5 gigabyte MB.

The only issue I have is with the OCZ memory I got. I am rma'ing it. I need to figure out what ram I want to replace it.

I was thinking about getting the gskill 1600mhz ram someone suggest to you.

January 12, 2009 2:21:40 PM

Elizabeth_B said:
I just read a very thorough review on Hardwarecanucks. The overall opinion is it runs about the same temps and power consumption is not much lower. Apparently they cut the heatsink a little on the 55. The 55 is quieter, though. I'll go with the supercharged version. Still trying to decide on the case. Does anyone like the Antec 900? I am worried about space for the GTX 260.

I can tell you that I have an Antec 900 with the max amount of fans available in it and I simplely love it. I am one person who does not mind noise though - I say that because it is definitely one noisey case! =) I have all the fan's turned up to max and I have a super fast 80 mm fan I believe it is (might be 92 mm - been a while since I bought it) on top of a Swiftech heatsink going max rpm's also. In this case I have a PNY 8800 Ultra (been waiting ages I tell you for the 55 nm 280 GTX and it's getting ridiculous) that is definitely pushing the limits of the room in this case. I had to make sure the back of this card was offset from the back of the case cage that included a fan mounting shroud. There is no way the card would fit in front of this. I originally wanted that case cage (which has a fan at the front and back) to work as a tunneling duct to blow air over the card directly from outside the case. I had to settle for it blowing air underneath the card but the case definitely makes an overall tempature difference from other cases I have or have tried. I looked on www.pny.com but I can not find actual length of the card. If you can find the length of a PNY 8800 Ultra you can compare it to the length of the card you're getting. Sorry I could not provide more specifics. (and am not at home so I could measure the card)
January 12, 2009 2:49:27 PM

I personally wouldn't be eying the current i7 setup right now. If you look at intel's roadmap, it will be a dead socket around the 3rd quarter this year, where they will move to a LGA 1156 socket. It's a load of crap if you ask me, I get the impression that the current i7 lineup is merely a stepping stone. You are better waiting, or if you don't care about "future proof" and upgradeability then go ahead and pick one up. Otherwise, look at phenom II or backtrack to the core 2 duo or quads.
January 12, 2009 4:18:39 PM

Most of the ground has been covered, so I’ll just touch on Blu-ray drive and Monitor.

You do not want to purchase these two items and then do a I wish I had, or upgrade later.

Blu-ray: BD-ROM vs Writer
I just received my LG-GGW-H20L and love it. The LG-GGC-H20L is about $120 Vs the LG GGW at $250. The GGC and read Blu-ray and writes to DVD/CD whereas the GGW and write to BD-R and BD-RW. BD-R & -RE are still expensive but are coming down (online about half of “downtown”). Both are lightscribe – Don’t use as I like printable one done on my Printer.

Monitor – Just received my Samsung T240HD and it is great, but higher priced @ $450.
You can get 24 in for under $300. Make sure what you get has what you want.
(1) Hdcp enabled, Not all are and this is required for Blu-ray playback unless you BUY anydvd (approx $80 -> $100) or use the VGA connection – Ugh)
(2) Brightness/contrast ratio, viewing angle you are aware of, But also some are 16::9 and a few are 16::10. I prefer the 16::10, primarily a SLIGHT increase in viewing area for 4::3 movies.
(3) Connections: Need HDMI. 4870 comes with a DVI-> HDMI adapter.
Do you want/need Component video input. I have a lite-on DVD stand-a-lone recorder with cable input hooked up to the Component input. Also Have cable hooked up as the 420HD has a built in HD tuner

Take care, I KNOW you will love what you get
January 12, 2009 5:12:13 PM

matt_b said:
I personally wouldn't be eying the current i7 setup right now. If you look at intel's roadmap, it will be a dead socket around the 3rd quarter this year, where they will move to a LGA 1156 socket.

Not true. Intel is developing a 6 core/12 thread processor to be release Q4 2009-Q2 2010 that will fit an LGA 1366 socket (westmere-32nm architecture).
!