Comp freezes after overclocking even with low cpu temps

funkiemonkii

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I can't figure out the reason why my comp just freezes after i overclock. I overclocked cpu to 3.9ghz and comp just freezes after 10-15mins of use - doesn't restart or turn off. I tried to decrease cpu speed to 3.4ghz but comp still freezes. I overclock through bios and kept my fsb:ram ratio 1:1 and Vcore at 1.3v. Idle temps are at 10 degrees both at 3.4ghz and 3.9ghz. PLease help!!!

Here are my specs:

MOtherboard: P5nd2-sli
CPU: Pentium D 925 3.0hgz
Ram: 2gbs Kingston DDR2 667mhz
Graphic Card: VApor-X 5770
PSU: Seasonic 80+ gold x-650
CPU cooler: Corsair H50; water cooling

Solution
Guys, it's not the RAM.

The 3 GHz D 925 has a 200 MHz FSB frequency and an X15 internal multiplier. At a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio and stock speed, the RAM is loafing along at a DDR2-400 speed. So if the CPU and the rest of the system could do it, you'd need to be above 4.5 GHz before you outstripped the RAM.

You can totally eliminate the RAM by running the RAM at half speed. If you have the typical nVidia BIOS, it will be a simple matter to adjust the RAM clock to half speed or the same frequency as the FSB frequency. In other words, if the FSB frequency is 200 MHz (FSB clock at 800 MHz - note the distinction), set the RAM clock to 200 MHz also.

Also make sure that you set the RAM voltage to suggested factory values or even...

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
your problem is right there in your pc specs.
RAM!
it sucks to say that your ram is causing you trouble since your cpu is running to fast for your ram.
so:
1) buy faster ram such as 800 mhz ddr2
2) change your fsb:ram ratio to something like 3:5 or 2:5
3) leave it at 3ghz
]
if this doesnt work then you might need to upgrade to a new pc

Guys, it's not the RAM.

The 3 GHz D 925 has a 200 MHz FSB frequency and an X15 internal multiplier. At a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio and stock speed, the RAM is loafing along at a DDR2-400 speed. So if the CPU and the rest of the system could do it, you'd need to be above 4.5 GHz before you outstripped the RAM.

You can totally eliminate the RAM by running the RAM at half speed. If you have the typical nVidia BIOS, it will be a simple matter to adjust the RAM clock to half speed or the same frequency as the FSB frequency. In other words, if the FSB frequency is 200 MHz (FSB clock at 800 MHz - note the distinction), set the RAM clock to 200 MHz also.

Also make sure that you set the RAM voltage to suggested factory values or even one or two tenths higher as long as you do not exceed 2.2 volts. To further reduce the chances of the RAM affecting your OC, relax the timings. If it's 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15, change to 5's-15 or 6's-18 respectively.

Wrong. He does not need faster RAM.

In other circumstances, you have the right idea - slow down the RAM. But your numbers are backwards. Here, you are showing overclocked RAM. What you mean is 5:3 or 5:2. And 2:1 is actually more simple.

That'd work, but what's the fun?
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz :)

Solution