RAM problem, voltage related (?)

yellowledbetter

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
My computer locks up as soon as I use ASUS Ai Gear 3's Auto mode. I bought and installed new RAM last night, and I've been having this problem ever since. The computer was working fine prior to the installation of the RAM.

My setup prior to the RAM purchase/installation was:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz)
ASUS Maximus Extreme
Kingston 1GB 1066 DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB
650W PSU (I can't remember the exact brand name)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB
WD 6400AAV 640 GB External
Windows XP 32-Bit
INWIN F430 Case

And all that I added was:
Kingston 1GB 1333 DDR3 RAM

Yes, I know. Different frequencies between the RAM. But they are backwards compatible, right? That is what I have been told, at least.

I think that the problem is that ASUS Ai Gear 3 is messing around with the voltage (which I believe is supposed to be 1.5V by default?) when I change the setting from default ("High Performance" for some reason) to Auto (which switches between "Max Power Saving," "Medium Power Saving," "High Perf." and "Turbo").

Out of curiosity I installed ASUS PC Probe II today, and it is reporting that the DRAM Voltage right now is 1.6V, which it reports as abnormal. It also shows the "DRAM Ref" as 0.8V, which it also reports as abnormal. I will admit that I have no clue as to what the DRAM Ref is. The program shows the "NB" as 1.44-1.46V, also abnormal. Finally, the Motherboard, NB, SB, OPT1, OPT2, and OPT3 temps are reported as abnormal. They all range from 47-49 degrees Celsius.

I was not aware of any of these problems prior to today, and my computer has served me well for the last year and a bit.

I have tried switching the slots of the ram multiple times (it ended up in dual channel once), but it hasn't helped.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have no clue how to alter the voltage of the RAM. I'm guessing BIOS, though.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I've seen in more cases than one Ai Gear take out a board. I suggest you uninstall it while you still can. Same goes for the ASUS online bios update utility.

TRENDING THREADS