Low-Power Graphics Cards

Hey everyone,

When I designed my HTPC, I wasn't planning on using it for gaming, but lately that 42" plasma has been beckoning... ;)

I built my HTPC with low-power in mind, so it only has a 300W PSU, albeit a very efficient one:
SeaSonic SS-300ES 300W ATX12V Ver.2.2

I have a very low-power CPU as well:
AMD Athlon X2 4850e (45W)

My hard-drive is one of those Western Digital Green cards:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS

I also have another, 5400 RPM hard drive (just full of media, doesn't get much use while gaming), and a regular DVD burner attached.

Anyway I was wondering what kind of graphics card I could use in this setup. I have heard that the Radeon 4650/4670 are pretty low power, but I find myself extremely confused as soon as I try to start adding up Watts and Amps. Would a 4670 work in my computer? Or should I just get a 500W power supply if I want decent graphics?
10 answers Last reply
More about power graphics cards
  1. The 4670 should be ok in that rig. Don't worry so much about wattage how many amps on the 12v+ rail does your power supply say it has? Should say on the sticker.
  2. That PSU can easily handle a 4670. If the plasma is 1080p, you may want a beefier card.
  3. I believe it's 17 amps on the 12V rail (that's what it says on Newegg). Could i get something stronger than the 4670 in there? If so, anyone have any suggestions?
  4. I think for a power supply that weak, no. That said the 4670 shouldn't be bad. But I think if you want a better card you are looking at a PSU upgrade which can be pricey as well.
  5. +1 4670
  6. OK, that makes it a pretty easy call. Thanks for the good advice.
  7. 4670 for sure.
  8. To the op, get it and try it, I've got a 9600gt which is not much better than the 4670 and I so far am very pleased, even running at 1680x1050 resolution. I think you may be quite suprised what you can pick up for 80 bucks.
  9. jfischer01 said:
    I believe it's 17 amps on the 12V rail (that's what it says on Newegg). Could i get something stronger than the 4670 in there? If so, anyone have any suggestions?

It has 2 12V rails.
  10. ohiou_grad_06 said:
    I think for a power supply that weak, no. That said the 4670 shouldn't be bad. But I think if you want a better card you are looking at a PSU upgrade which can be pricey as well.

It's actually not that weak, 288W on 12V.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Graphics Product