Sign in with
Your question

Video Card not sending signal?

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2009 6:01:24 AM

New PC build. Everything went peachy, installed OS, installed motherboard/video card drivers. Came home the day after, started up, full boot. Remembered I wanted to get into the BIOS so I restarted, but the computer froze before it could post. I hold the power button and start it again, and the monitor wont turn on. Goes into power saving mode like its getting no signal. Computer is on, chassis fans running, CPU fan running, GPU fan running, but nothing on the screen.

Any halp?
January 11, 2009 6:11:13 AM

power down, unplug the main power cord, hold down power button for 5-10 seconds.

open case and check connections, plug main power cable back in and turn power on. Other then that, all you could do is recheck all connections and try a different gpu.
January 11, 2009 5:49:57 PM

thanks for the advice. i'll try and swap the video card with my room mates and see if that works, too.

is there any chance it could be a power supply issue?

Related resources
January 12, 2009 1:09:30 AM

so i swapped video cards with my room mates, still have the same issue. any ideas?
January 12, 2009 7:02:42 AM

give some info on the GFX cards and MB.

Might be something else, like something died, odd that the OS installed unless the driver did not work with your card. You could try "SAFE Mode" and set to VGA graphics.
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2009 9:00:19 PM

Odds are it is not the video card.
Recheck all your hardware, like the memory especially to make sure it is seated snuggly. Double check all wiring for loose connections. If this is a new build that was working, I would say something has simply came loose somewhere. And it is always a remote possiblity that your PSU has gone bad, but double check everything out as I suggested first.
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2009 10:23:25 PM

My first thought would be the RAM. Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM?
January 19, 2009 12:32:21 AM

checked all the connections

tried one stick of ram in every slot

still nothin.

im sending the mobo back tomorrow, hopefully this fixes it :( 
February 1, 2009 12:25:36 AM

just giving some closure incase anyone else looks at this thread, it was the motherboard. got the new one, put it in, everything is back to normal
!