Gtx 470.....pics..Watercooling, overclocking

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hey guys its been a long time since I have posted anything on Toms hardware but i have gotten my hands on some new hardware which i would like to share my experience with. Recently I sold my bfg gtx 285 that served me very well for a whole year, it was a good card but in some games it was showing it's age; Metro 2033, battlefield bad company 2, etc. I decided to buy a 5870 but since they were not in stock i ended up with a gtx 470 (pny brand). After reading numerous reviews of the Fermi i wanted to punch my self; lot of power, lot of heat, and ~ same performance as a 5850. The first day I received my gtx 470 I quickly installed and Overclocked it. The heat and noise produced from the card reminded me of the 5900 ultra, and performance still mediocre (not much from my gtx 285). Temps reached as high as 100C in furmark (765/15xx/1800) c/s/m, this was very unacceptable. The next day i ordered an EK Nickel water block and installed it. After install pic below.
My specs are (XSPC extreme 360rad, gtz wb, ek wb, d5 pump, enermax 50cfm fans). This setup brought my temps to 51C max Furmark with (900/1800/2050)@1150mV. (I did a bios flash for more volts, its an evga bios) driver version 257.17, i7 @ 3.7ghz

DSC_0338.jpg

here are some benchmarks, sorry i don't have more games to benchmark.

stockcrysis.jpg

3dmarkstock.jpg

stockvantage.jpg

Now with the new Overclock

overclocked.jpg

crysis.jpg

3dmarkoc.jpg

vantageoc.jpg

The Fermi cards have a very bad Cooling Design, they could have done a much better job, but it seems like these cards like water and a lot of voltage to reach their full potential. The performance is also unreal now. Let me know what you guys think.

Also I would like some 5850 users to respond and see what kind of Overclocks they have achieved so far. I am building another rig in summer and want to go ATI/AMD for it. Thanks for looking. Forgot to Add the CPU and GPU are in same loop, The noise is almost non existent compared to before.

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007

Thanks man I appreciate it, I want to start modding professionally but don't have enough time with university and stuff, but yeah I would like to start an AMD/ATI rig mod and i am thinking about using a pair of 5850's with some nice water cooling. I have seen some very sick PC mods and i wanna try one out soon. =), and wow 5850 OC very very well. fun time =)