Case fans all of a sudden become hard to turn

reeseslover

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
I bought three scythe fans in june last year. I just noticed today that none of them are turning. So I opened the case and they are all plugged in but they are somewhat hard to turn by hand and when the power is put through them, nothing. I have no idea what it is. can anyone help? Why are they all of a sudden hard to turn, this makes no sense

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Are they dirty? do they have something on their base?

With fans it's pretty simple, they don't turn because the base is clogged with something, or they dont get enough power (by any reason, faulty cables, etc.)

If you simplify what fans are, they are just magnets with electricity.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
If you are a smoker, if there is alot of dust in the house, if the case is on the floor in line with an entry door, any number of things can cause the fans to sieze up. Fans are a consumable part, get new ones. If you want to increase the life of the new ones get filters and keep canned blowjob on hand to blow out the filters.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

Best Buy, Office Max, heck they even have it at Wally World. Personally I prefer MicroCenter, that way the wife can feel like she got screwed whenever we go for canned blowjob and end up leaving with $300+ worth of stuff I *really* need.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Number one killer of fans I've seen having worked on PC's since 1998. Pet dander, pet hair, and or feathers. For the love of all that is good and holy if you have pets clean your case and fans every few months, and if you have pet birds do not keep the PC in the same room.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
MISRy, you obviously missed what you said twice now. blowjob. what i think you meant to say was pressurized air can. you see, a native english speaker of 13 (avg nowadays in the US) or over, blowjob means something completely different. try google pictures without safe search on to see what i mean. (not for people under 18)

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Actually I rather assumed that the average English speaker would note that it, with regard to fellatio, rarely comes in a can and, in fact, blow is just an expression, not an instruction.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I would remove each fan and clean each one with rubbing alcohol. Let them dry out. then put a drop of
transmission fluid on the axle of the fan. then I would use compressed air or an air compressor to move the fan blades. as a rule, I use an air compressor to blow out dust,etc. from the insides of my computers once a month.