AHCI Mode causes DVD to Not Work? HELP

Last response: in Storage
July 12, 2010 11:19:44 PM

Here is the basic setup.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU
4 GB Ram
DVD Burner
Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit version...

Drive #1 - CRUCIAL_CT128M225 Solid-State Drive 128GB [Boot & Main drive]
Drive #2 - Seagate ST3320620AS (320 GB) SATA II
Drive #3 - Maxtor 6L080P0 (80 GB)
DVD Burner: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N ATA Device

Now to the Problem...

I successfully went into the BIOS and switched from IDE to AHCI mode. It booted fine although a never before seen screen appears for 2 seconds and it boots into windows just fine.

Problem: No matter what type or size, the DVD does not recognize any disc. It will only say that the DVD drive exists but will not allow reading or writing to any Disc.

Is there some setting I missed?

I really would like to use AHCI Mode for the performance increase with my SSD Boot Drive.

Anyone??

MAJOT EDIT To clear things up on MY end
BEGIN--- July 15, 2010 Approximately 8:39 PM EDT

After upgrading to 1916 firmware I decided to BIOS setup from IDE mode to full AHCI Mode.
Everything seemed fine until I inserted a DVD.
The DVDBurner will not recognize any disc, full or blank, will not read or write a DVD and says "please insert a DVD into the drive" when one is IN the drive.

I can't accept not having the use of the DVD drive for many reasons I think everyone here would agree with me.
Is there something I missed? Is there some super special driver or ??

HELP?:smileysad:

COMPUTER SPECS
OS=Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Ver 1.1
Q9400 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 memory
TSST 20X DVD Burner
700 Watt GameXstream PSU

END OF EDIT

More about : ahci mode dvd work

a c 98 G Storage
July 14, 2010 2:15:27 AM

I've had the same problem with my IDE drive plugged into the JMicron controller, and set to ACHI. The DVD won't work, not even a CD-ROM.

I have to leave the DVD drive set to IDE for the drive to work. This is a different controller than my SATA II ports set to RAID.

Is yours? Can you plug the SATA DVD into the "other" SATA ports, and set to IDE? DVD speed don't even come close to SATA's bandwidth, not even IDE.
July 15, 2010 1:41:19 AM

foscooter said:
I've had the same problem with my IDE drive plugged into the JMicron controller, and set to ACHI. The DVD won't work, not even a CD-ROM.

I have to leave the DVD drive set to IDE for the drive to work. This is a different controller than my SATA II ports set to RAID.

Is yours? Can you plug the SATA DVD into the "other" SATA ports, and set to IDE? DVD speed don't even come close to SATA's bandwidth, not even IDE.

I'm going to try what you said....Be patient for an update as I find the guts of the box to be that of brain surgery...to me at least
Related resources
July 15, 2010 7:29:57 PM

aford10 said:
Is the DVD drive recognized in the BIOS? If yes, try this Fixit scan.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

That didn't work. And the DVD is recognized inside BIOS.

The COMP no longer recognizes the DVD Burner and cannot load or write a Disc with AHCI/ACHI mode.

I guess I'll have to re-enable IDE Mode.. :??: 

Unless someone has another suggestion?
a c 98 G Storage
July 15, 2010 10:08:48 PM

Do you have another "controller" (i.e. JMicron or Marvell) to plug your SATA DVD into it's ports? (Sorry, I don't know your mobo.)

Else, get a IDE DVD drive. It won't be any slower than SATA, cause DVD/CD are slow anyways.
July 16, 2010 12:35:43 AM

foscooter said:
Do you have another "controller" (i.e. JMicron or Marvell) to plug your SATA DVD into it's ports? (Sorry, I don't know your mobo.)

Else, get a IDE DVD drive. It won't be any slower than SATA, cause DVD/CD are slow anyways.

My Setup to help you help me :) 
Gigabyte GA-EP-UD3P (rev 1.1)
Q9400 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

Not that I doubt you at all but can you find a link showing IDE Mode for a SATA DVD Burner is not slower or worse if used in IDE mode on the motherboard?

Problem #1 Is their an old benchmark comparison of read/burn and write speeds for IDE DVD Burners compared to SAT DVD Burners?

Problem #2 The DVD only has a SATA input port on on it so how would I be able to connect the DVD's port[SATA port] to a IDE Connection on my motherboard?

And BTW thanks for trying to help me. :bounce: 

P.S.-- I always have computer problems and if it were from too much tinkering and testing I could accept it as my fault but all I ever do is DARE upgrade to the next technology and it always bites a nice piuece of flesh out of me....God I cannot be alone in this Carma...

a b G Storage
July 16, 2010 12:57:40 AM

Does the drive work when you switch back to IDE mode?
a c 98 G Storage
July 16, 2010 4:40:41 AM

Ok, I found something on IDE vs. SATA DVD Drives: DL.TV: SATA vs. IDE: This Time It's Your DVD Drive

One quote: "What is the benefit? NONE!...The fastest DVD drives.run at 20-23MBps..."

This is afar cry from even the fastest ATA133 IDE controllers.

Sorry.

I did take a look a a motherboard similar to yours, and no extra SATA controller, like JMicron or Marvell I mentioned before. Only the 6 SATA ports, and 1 IDE port. Right? Is your board a GA-EP45T-UD3P?

Someone does make an interface for a IDE to SATA controller. Here is some.

But, the cost may be more than a new IDE optical drive, or maybe not.

This one plugs into the IDE connector on the mobo, and into a SATA drive: StarTech IDE to SATA Drive motherboard connector.

But I hate to advise you to buy anymore than you already have. There might be a chipset tweak, like one mentioned in the video.

What is the DVD drive? Is it I/O? Sony? I know these have problems.

P.S. On a lighter note: Don't just ride that bus, drive it!

And aford10, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B.
a c 98 G Storage
July 16, 2010 5:12:11 AM

Oh wait! I did find your motherboard!

You DO have 2 Gigabyte SATA ports. Plug the DVD drive into one of them!! Purple plugs, different controller, and you can set it to IDE, and it will not affect the other 6 SATA ports, which are in ACHI! Check page 54 of your manual.

From Gigabytes website: Gigabyte.us GA-EP45T-UD3P

Quote:
GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD

I'm so excited, for you! Mes tinks messa sloved it. (Ja Ja Binks)
July 16, 2010 4:45:49 PM

foscooter said:
Ok, I found something on IDE vs. SATA DVD Drives: DL.TV: SATA vs. IDE: This Time It's Your DVD Drive

One quote: "What is the benefit? NONE!...The fastest DVD drives.run at 20-23MBps..."

This is afar cry from even the fastest ATA133 IDE controllers.

Sorry.

I did take a look a a motherboard similar to yours, and no extra SATA controller, like JMicron or Marvell I mentioned before. Only the 6 SATA ports, and 1 IDE port. Right? Is your board a GA-EP45T-UD3P?

Someone does make an interface for a IDE to SATA controller. Here is some.

But, the cost may be more than a new IDE optical drive, or maybe not.

This one plugs into the IDE connector on the mobo, and into a SATA drive: StarTech IDE to SATA Drive motherboard connector.

But I hate to advise you to buy anymore than you already have. There might be a chipset tweak, like one mentioned in the video.

What is the DVD drive? Is it I/O? Sony? I know these have problems.

P.S. On a lighter note: Don't just ride that bus, drive it!

And aford10, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B.

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P v1.0/v1.1<---EVEREST Says this is mine , without the "T"
Not the same as Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P
BUT even this could be wrong since Gigabyte's website use the Non-T and T interchangeably. So??
I Emailed Gigabyte about this issue, and they replied....

Quote:
Answer : Dear customer,
Optical drive not support AHCI mode, you need to move SATA DVD drive to GSATA controller and set GSATA port 0 ( purple color ) which was set to IDE mode in bios by defaulst.

So I guess if I want to keep AHCI mode I'll have to move the DVD's SATA Cable to the "G-Sata" which are purple in color, something the person who replied next mentions.

EDIT:What does the G in G-Sata Mean?

Man is this ever more complicated than ISA Slot Video Cards!
July 16, 2010 4:49:39 PM

foscooter said:
Oh wait! I did find your motherboard!

You DO have 2 Gigabyte SATA ports. Plug the DVD drive into one of them!! Purple plugs, different controller, and you can set it to IDE, and it will not affect the other 6 SATA ports, which are in ACHI! Check page 54 of your manual.

From Gigabytes website: Gigabyte.us GA-EP45T-UD3P

Quote:
GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD

I'm so excited, for you! Mes tinks messa sloved it. (Ja Ja Binks)

In BIOS, what are the G-Sata Purple ports exact naming?
Also, how can I tell in BIOS the difference between that regular SATA {yellow] and the GSATA Purple ones?

thanks
a c 98 G Storage
July 16, 2010 6:05:18 PM

I'll get a screen shot of the board, and the manuals page for you.

The "G" in G-SATA stands for Gigabyte. They use there own controller for IDE/PATA and the 2 purple SATA ports. This is because the chipset (P45) can only handle 6 SATA ports, and no IDE. So they add another chipset/copntroller, Gigabyte, for IDE/PATA and other SATA ports.

Okay, mobo screen shot (I know it may not be yours):

And, from page 52 of the manual (I suggest you download it, from my link to your mobo):

The G-SATA ports are called "Onboard SATA/IDE" on the "Intergrated Peripherals" page in your BIOS.

(Auto) Set to Enabled, and IDE.

Hope this does it. I'm sure it will!
July 16, 2010 6:38:45 PM

DVD Burners, SATA VS IDE, which is better. Found some evidence but not ignoring anyone HERE.
http://zdpub.vo.llnwd.net/o2/ziffdavisplayer/flvplayer2...

Fast-Forward to "30 Minutes 02 Seconds" for the SATA versus IDE on DVD burners/Drives.

They basically say even IDE is not even close to being saturated by DVD burners explaining how the max
transfer rate for DVD Burners is still BELOW the IDE's capabilities
meaning SATA is just good for looks and
might improve air flow in the case.

This helps me with my "DVD won't work while in AHCI Mode" Maybe it will help someone else.

My next steps are:

1. Move the DVD Burner's SATA cable on the motherboard from the Regular Yellow SATA connections to the
Purple G-SATA connections on the motherboar
d which would ensure AHCI Mode would not effect BIOS and
Windows 7's recognition of my DVD Burner and allow me to read and burn DVD's.

2. Now I can Switch back to AHCI Mode in BIOS ( If Step #1 doesn't work as advertised. )
So, according to all the great help from everyone HERE and this video I know that AHCI is really not
worth the hassle
, FOR ME at least. I'm sure someone out there will say it improved speeds 10%+ and
I do not debate you[/b[ but for me I've wasted at least 3 days dealing with this issue and would rather
spend time enjoying my computer.

However I did do the firmware upgrade from the already installed 1871 firmware to the DVD Boot disc 1916
firmware version
and I am unimpressed. The Benchmarks, HD Tune AS-SSD etc, showed nearly
unmeasurable improvement in speed
. However I am told 1916 enables TRIM unlike 1871 firmware.
Also I've read HERE and other places that 1916 has bug fixes and more EFFICIENCY but would love a link
to read about these improvements. Can someone post such a URL/Link?

So I'm sticking with IDE [if the G-SATA thing don't work] and will try to find a safe way to downgrade
1916 back to the factory firmware 1871.

PLEASE, I'm being serious, if I made a mistake in my conclusions please correct me. You'll not only help me
but any other poor soul who might stray into this thread.

And thanks to all who have given me patient help so far :-D

PS, If someone thinks I'm making a mistake by giving up and staying with IDE on the SSD and Hard drives installed then please let me know.
ALSO--If anyone thinks it's a mistake to downgrade the SSD Firmware from 1916 to the older 1871 then also please let me know...

July 16, 2010 6:39:54 PM

foscooter said:

The "G" in G-SATA stands for Gigabyte. They use there own controller for IDE/PATA and the 2 purple SATA ports. This is because the chipset (P45) can only handle 6 SATA ports, and no IDE. So they add another chipset/copntroller, Gigabyte, for IDE/PATA and other SATA ports.

Look forward to the images.....wish I'd read your post before my LONG post above...:-(
a c 98 G Storage
July 16, 2010 6:42:45 PM

Ok. I edited my above post with the screenshots.

Good Luck fella!

And, YES, DO enjoy your computer!
July 16, 2010 8:22:56 PM

aford10 said:
Does the drive work when you switch back to IDE mode?

Yes it does.
July 16, 2010 8:27:29 PM

foscooter said:

The "G" in G-SATA stands for Gigabyte. They use there own controller for IDE/PATA and the 2 purple SATA ports. This is because the chipset (P45) can only handle 6 SATA ports, and no IDE. So they add another chipset/copntroller, Gigabyte, for IDE/PATA and other SATA ports......

WOW, thanks for the screen-shots and a very informative reply!

In BIOS how can I setup AHCI for the SATA devices at the same time set IDE Mode for the DVD Burner in the BIOS?
It seems and either or but no mix??
a b G Storage
July 16, 2010 8:29:24 PM

foscooter said:
[/i]

:o 

ok, I..I swear to God, I'll..I'll burn it down. :p 

Best solution

a c 98 G Storage
July 16, 2010 9:56:57 PM

Quote:
In BIOS how can I setup AHCI for the SATA devices at the same time set IDE Mode for the DVD Burner in the BIOS?

Are you sure? I would think they could be set differnet. They are listed seperate in the BIOS.

From the manual, page 52-54: Dowload the manual

On then Intergrate Peripherals page in BIOS:

Line 1 - Set SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to "ACHI"
Line 2 - Set SATA Port0-3 Native Mode to "Disabled"
Line 12 - Set Onboard SATA/IDE Device to "Enabled"
Line 13 - Set Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to "IDE"

That should do it!

SSD and other SATA drives on the yellow ports in ACHI mode.

DVD drive on purple ports in IDE mode.
July 24, 2010 12:50:41 AM

Best answer selected by weatherphobia.
July 24, 2010 12:52:35 AM

foscooter said:
Quote:

Are you sure? I would think they could be set differnet. They are listed seperate in the BIOS.

From the manual, page 52-54: Dowload the manual

On then Intergrate Peripherals page in BIOS:

Line 1 - Set SATA RAID/AHCI Mode to "ACHI"
Line 2 - Set SATA Port0-3 Native Mode to "Disabled"
Line 12 - Set Onboard SATA/IDE Device to "Enabled"
Line 13 - Set Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode to "IDE"

That should do it!

SSD and other SATA drives on the yellow ports in ACHI mode.

DVD drive on purple ports in IDE mode.

DVD Drive moved to G-SATA, rebooted, halted into BIOS, changed those 4 settings, whola works....and slightly better SSD scores if it matters.
E-Beer anyone?

thanks!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 26, 2011 7:49:43 PM

Hey, found this on google...

Having the quite same problem: bought and ssd drive, installed windows 7... worked fine, untill i chose to set ssd to achi mode.

I have Msi p45 motherboard. It has also 8 ports, (6 blue, 2 purple) and they are set so that the 2 purple ones are controlled by jmicron 363 something. I tried basicly all the funcitons in the bios:

Set achi mode enabled (ports 1-6)
Enabled/disabled the jmicron

Tried to use dvdrw-drive in the achi ports

all others...

No luck. If i set the dvd-drive in the purple ports (which are controlled by the "ide"-controller due manual), it doesn't load disk at all (no disk, insert disk) even if there are completely working disk inside.

So, tried to use ssd in achi while dvd in ide = no luck.

Thought that solution would've worked for me too, but no luck? Ideas any1?
a c 157 G Storage
August 12, 2011 4:45:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!