Sign in with
Your question

EP45-UD3R need bios help

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2009 2:00:35 AM

Ep34-ud3r ver 1.1 F4 mobo
9500gt 1gb ddr2 video card
OCZ reaper 2g ddr2 1066mhz 2.1v (4 sticks= 8g)
Intel core quad Q9550 @ 2.83mhz
Window Vista 64bit ultimate

ive updated mobo. mem voltage at 2.01 1066mhz. It runs fine at with 2X2g of mem. When i put all 4 stick in, windows becomes unstable. After couple minutes, i get the blue screen of death. after reboot, it says i have problem with hardware or a problem has occurred in windows. Ive done memory test and all checks fine. I even swapped out the original 2 sticks with the other 2 sticks and it still runs stable with no problem. This mobo suppose to support up to 16g and i cant even get more than 4g to work. Ive been reading forums and people say the bios needs to be set up correctly but i cant find the problem. Can anyone post a setup for me. Im not a computer genuis but i can follow simple instructions. Ive tried adjusting the voltage down to 1.2 and speed to 800mhz but still no luck. Im not using with 2 sticks for weeks now and everything is fine. This has fustrated me for 2 months now and gigabyte tech support is no help. Please help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by pool4eva; Today at 09:54 PM.

More about : ep45 ud3r bios

a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2009 2:09:07 AM

Try bumping the voltage up to compensate for the extra dimms. Timing, try auto setting vs manufactures spec and see which one is more stable.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 1, 2009 3:00:34 PM

With all the typos, it's hard to determine where you're at...

Quote:
mem voltage at 2.01

if this is a typo, and you meant to say 2.1, you should be good there; if not, on the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page, scroll down to "DRAM Voltage" and set it to "2.1" or "+.3" (manual does't tell me how it's set; directly, or in increments of increase...); try "MCH Core" at "+.1"; check that "PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" is set to "100", not "Auto", that "C.I.A.2" is "Disabled", and that "Performance Enhance" is set to "Standard."

To run 4 sticks of RAM, the memory control hub typically needs a bit of a 'bump' in voltage...

If this doesn't work, post back, and I'll put up a template for you to copy your settings into, and we'll work from there - don't panic, it's decent RAM and will work - just may take some tweaking!

Related resources
June 3, 2009 2:54:51 PM

ive just tried the setting you suggested but no luck. It crashed just as the welcome screen came on. sorry about the typo errors. i did have the mem vol set at 2.1. everything else is at default. mem speed is auto at 1066. most setting are on auto.
June 3, 2009 3:23:17 PM

these are my settings if anyone can help..

CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8X
Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:+.5
CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.83Ghz (333X8.5)

Clock Chip Control
Standard Clock Control
CPU Host Clock Control..................: [DISABLED]
CPU Host Frequency (FSB)(Mhz) ............: 333 Mhz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: AUTO

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance...................: TURBO
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: AUTO
(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: AUTO
System Memory Multiplier ......(SPD): AUTO
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
DRAM Timing Selectable .......(SPD).: AUTO

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time....................... 5
tRCD ........................................ 5
tRP........................................... 5
tRAS......................................... 15

Advanced Timing Control
tRRD........................................... 4 AUTO
tWTR.......................................... 4 AUTO
tWR............................................ 6 AUTO
tRFC........................................... 72 AUTO
tRTP........................................... 4 AUTO
Command Rate (CMD) ................... 0 AUTO

Channel A
Static tRead Value......................... 6 AUTO
Channel B
Static tRead Value......................... 6 AUTO

Motherboard Voltage Control
CPU
Load-Line Calibration ...........................: (DISABLED)
CPU Vcore….……….......1.3750V..............: AUTO
CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*...............: AUTO
CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*...............: AUTO
CPU Referen.…………....0.760V*...............: AUTO

MCH/ICH
MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: AUTO
MCH Reference….…….0.760V............: AUTO
MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V..............: AUTO
ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: AUTO
ICH Core…………...……1.100V...........: AUTO

DRAM
DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.100v
DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: AUTO
Channel A Reference 0.900V............: AUTO
Channel B Reference 0.900V............: AUTO
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2009 3:37:20 PM

You should leave your Advanced Timing Control set to auto unless you really know what you are doing. Performance Enhance: TURBO, I would return to the default setting. DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD): AUTO, try disabling and see if you get better results. We both asked to bump up your DRAM voltage but you have made no mention of that, you're at recommended spec 2.1v. 1066 ram is OCeed 800 ram, there is no guarantee it will ever run at 1066 too many variables heat being one of them. Start at 800MHz with a slightly higher voltage. Did you check compatibility before purchasing the ram? Check the motherboard manufactures qualified vender's list and you can check the configurator at the ram manufactures website (or call them).
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 3, 2009 6:29:51 PM

Looking at your settings, I don't see my suggestion for 'bumping' the MCH core implemented; the 2G 'Reaper' I've found lists 5-5-5-18;
Try these changes:

DRAM Performance Control
Performance Enhance...................: STANDARD
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: AUTO
(G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: AUTO
System Memory Multiplier ......(SPD): AUTO
Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
DRAM Timing Selectable .......(SPD).: AUTO

Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time....................... 5
tRCD ........................................ 5
tRP........................................... 5
tRAS......................................... 18

Advanced Timing Control (leave all at 'AUTO')

Channel A
Static tRead Value......................... 7
Channel B
Static tRead Value......................... 7

Motherboard Voltage Control
CPU
Load-Line Calibration ...........................: (DISABLED)
CPU Vcore….……….......1.3750V..............: AUTO
CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*...............: AUTO
CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*...............: AUTO
CPU Referen.…………....0.760V*...............: AUTO

MCH/ICH
MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: +.1V
MCH Reference….…….0.760V............: AUTO
MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V..............: AUTO
ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: AUTO
ICH Core…………...……1.100V...........: AUTO

DRAM
DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.100v (may need a 'bump' to 2.15)
DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: AUTO
Channel A Reference 0.900V............: AUTO
Channel B Reference 0.900V............: AUTO

June 5, 2009 12:58:32 PM

CPU Vcore….……….......1.3750V..............: 1.13750V
CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*...............: 1.20000V
CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*...............: 1.50000V
CPU Referen.…………....0.760V*...............: .76000V

MCH/ICH
MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.1000V
MCH Reference….…….0.760V............: .76000V
MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V..............: .90000V
ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: 1.50000V
ICH Core…………...……1.100V...........: 1.10000V
I ran ET6 and this is what i got for voltage settings.

DRAM
DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1000v
DRAM Termination..... .900V ...........: .90000V
Channel A Reference... .900V .........: .90000V
Channel B Reference... .900V .........: .90000V
June 5, 2009 1:04:17 PM

i did the ET6 and this is what i got for settings in voltage. i also tried "bumping" the mem voltage, +.1 MCH Core, change the performance back to standard, tRAS to 18, disable DRAM timing selectable. No luck. Just as a boot up the machine, the BSOD states a notification of system error. Performance: Turbo is actually the default setting. what else can i do? ive also checked GIGABYTE website. they do support OCZ memory but didnt list this specific one. Theres just too many to list.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2009 3:14:38 PM

I'll make time, sometime today yet, to root about in my BIOS and get you some new settings. Don't worry about the RAM not being on the support list. There is a pretty common (to all manufacturers) problem with these - they are compiled when the MOBO is released, never to be revisited again as new memory hits the market. Another problem with GB is that you'll see a lot of memory listed that you've never heard of; I'm sure you can pick it up at any gas station in Taiwan, but we sure don't see it here! In preparation, do you have a bootable CD of MemTest86+? If not, you can dl one here:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Grab the "•Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)", unzip it, and burn the iso to CD - we'll need it sooner or later...
June 9, 2009 6:54:40 PM

this is the 2nd set of memory ive tried and no luck. My first set was Patriot.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 10, 2009 12:15:51 AM

Try the settings I gave you, one stick of RAM at a time, in slot 0 - boot to memtest, and let it run a full pass on each stick before trying the next.
June 10, 2009 12:18:52 PM

CPU Vcore….……….......1.3750V..............: 1.13750V should the vcore be at this value or higher?

Ive also done the memtest of each stick in slot 0 at least one full pass. they all pass. its so difficult to find the right specs to make 8g work.
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 10, 2009 3:31:47 PM

Intel lists a Vcore limit of 1.3625V, but, with good cooling, half the people who have one seem to ignore it. Mine does 3.83 GHz on 1.275, rock solid, 24/7. If you're not yet overclocking the CPU, the Vcore shouldn't be a problem just going from one stick to four - it'll likely be pretty well localized to the MCH/RAM subsystem.

I just noticed your mention of ET6; I hope you're making these changes in the BIOS itself, and not using ET - it's a known crapper - buggy as all getout. Another tool that would help at this point is a dependable tool to see the actual voltages on the MOBO - my experience with the GB 'd' series is that your actual voltages will run a tad lower than the nominal BIOS settings. There are any number of these tools out there; I happen to use HardwareMonitor from CPUID:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
Another point - if you're not already using it, now would be a good time to learn to use the <F11> Save CMOS to BIOS/<F12> Load CMOS from BIOS pair: this lets you save your entire set of BIOS parameters, so that if it takes a dump, you can get back to where you were, with little effort, and, more importantly, no mistakes (after two hours of unsuccessful testing - "damn, that's right, I had the Trd at seven before!"). Get in the habit of naming the stored sets with a meaningful title, as well - "Try1" is pretty opaque later on - "383-1080_15MCH" gives you an idea where you were!

If all your sticks pass memtest, one at a time, we can be fairly sure you aren't having problems because of a bad stick. Next things to try are: take MCH up another tenth (maybe half a tenth at a time); take DRAM up another tenth (again, half a tenth at a time); try these individually; if no luck, try in combination 'till both are up the whole tenth - see if we get anywhere...
!