shadragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Good Day,

I currently have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 125w dual-core chip on an ASUS M2N-SLI mobo. I would like to upgrade to a AMD Phenom X4 9950 125w quad core. ASUS says the chip is supported on the same mobo, but I am wondering what the performance improvement will be.

Does anyone know of a direct performance comparison between the two chips? I just want to see if it is worth spending the cash or stick with the older model for another year or so.

Cheers. :hello:

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
since it's an M2 the HT will be downgraded so it won't be as fast as it should be, but if you are using it for gaming the athlon would probably beat it anyway in current games.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
^ +1.

Plus if you're looking to upgrade i'd just wait till you can ditch socket AM2 altogether and wait till you can afford to get maybe a Phenom II 720 + socket AM3 mobo.

I concur, the Phenom you are looking at would be considered a downgrade especially for gaming. If you are running Photoshop, or doing a lot of video encoding, the Quad would help some. But really, if you want to go AMD quad, you need to looking at the Phenom II's. Much faster, and they run much cooler.
I say save your money until you can move up to the PII's, and AM3.
You'll be glad you did.
Also, whatever you do, the next board you buy must be an AMD chipset.
Don't buy another board with an nVidia chipest.....:(