Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gtx 285 vrs 4780 1 gig

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share

What card would you get. Money not being an issue.

Total: 17 votes (2 blank votes)

  • Gtx 285
  • 82 %
  • 4780 1 gig
  • 19 %
February 7, 2009 8:14:14 PM

Can anyone provide a link to a side comparison of the gtx 285 and the 4870 1gig cards?

Money not being an issue what one of the 2 would you get and why?

More about : gtx 285 vrs 4780 gig

February 7, 2009 8:18:11 PM

If money was not an issue then the GTX285, the HD4870 wasn't meant to compete with that card.

February 7, 2009 8:24:33 PM

Really? from what im seeing the 4870 is a faster card. or have i missed something?
Related resources
February 7, 2009 8:27:25 PM

i don't think the gains from a 285 would be earth shaking to be honest. money may not be an issue but having extra money to throw towards a bigger display or some extras is nice. both are good cards but if i had to choose i would probably grab the 4870 1GB. i buy majority of the time from Nvidia but the performance is so equeal it makes price hard to ignore.
February 7, 2009 8:40:36 PM

Off course GTX 285. Just see the review from tomshardware.
I bought this card 5 days ago (i had GTX 260 xxx edition which was also faster than 4870 1GB) and i am so satisfied! i have about 12 fps more than the previous card (in average fps) and about 20 fps more in min fps!!!

P.S. sorry for my poor english
February 7, 2009 8:53:27 PM

285 GTX has been seen getting up to 32% increase over the 4870 1 gig in games like Far Cry 2.

So you can't compare the 2. It all depends what motherboard you have, what games you want to play and how much money you want to spend.

Here are some far cry 2 benchmarks showing the 280 285 and 4870 1 gig

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-285-review--3...
@ 1680x1050

4870 = 38
280 = 46
285 = 50

280 GTX is 21.1% faster than the 4870
285 GTX is 31.5% faster than the 4870

@ 1920x1200

4870 = 34
280 = 42
285 = 45

280 GTX is 23.5% faster than the 4870
285 GTX is 32.4% faster than the 4870
February 7, 2009 9:18:48 PM

Ok i have a AUSU p5w-dh delux
- Intel® Quad-core CPU Ready
- LGA775 socket for Intel Core2 Duo, Core2 Extreme
- Intel 975X +Intel ICH7R 1066/800MHz
- Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/ 533 max 8GB
- 2 x PCI-E x 16 / 2 x PCI-E x 1/ 3 x PCI
- Support ATI CrossFire graphics cards
- Intel Matrix Storage technology
- Dual Gigabit LAN
- Dolby Master Studio technology
- ASUS EZ-Backup
- ASUS Digital Home features

getting redy to upgrade my cpu from a e6700 to a q9650

4 gig ddr2 800

liquid cooled system

vista 64 bit os.


keep in mind i have pci-e x 16 slots and not a pci 2.0
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2009 9:22:36 PM

ptcrash3814 said:
Really? from what im seeing the 4870 is a faster card. or have i missed something?

The 4870 is a faster card than the GTX260, not the GTX280/285.

The 4870 is about equal but slightly faster than the GTX260, which is its actual rival.
February 7, 2009 9:24:08 PM

1.0 v 2.0 won't cripple the card, like ppl have told you before, 0-5% difference, check out this review:) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-meets-pci...

Its just an idea.

1 thing I do need to point out is that the 285 (280) has ALOT more power than the previous cards that have been benchmarked. So results might be different, or they might be the same. I'm not too sure. But i really doubt personally that it would make a big enough impact.
February 7, 2009 9:25:46 PM

i would go with the 4870 with your motherboard, but thats just me i wouldn't push any one to pick the slower card so i have to say go for the 285
February 7, 2009 9:27:59 PM

If money isn't a problem get the Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB, it has 2GB of GDDR5. It's mroe tan enough. I have two of them in crossfireX and im very satisfied with it. It's around $450 to $550. It's faster than both the HD 470 1GB and the GTX 285 1GB. It's driver is still in the works since its current drivers are not taking full advatage of the GPU still it pars with GTX 295. GTX 295's drivers are pretty good it takes full advantage of the GPU. If ATI makes it drivers optimize and take full advatage of the HD 4870 X2 especially two of them in CrossfireX it would kill the GTX 295.
February 7, 2009 9:28:43 PM

yea i ment the 285. i see the diff of the 2.0 and the 1.1 isnt the big. thxs for the info.
February 7, 2009 9:29:53 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
The 4870 is a faster card than the GTX260, not the GTX280/285.

The 4870 is about equal but slightly faster than the GTX260, which is its actual rival.



I've seen different results, where teh 260 GTX being generally stronger, but the 4870 doing AA better at higher resolutions:S but all in all they're performance differences are nil. I prefer the 4870 1 gig since it has more Vram, GDDR5 and dx 10.1. (instead of teh 260 lol not the 280 or 285.)
February 7, 2009 9:31:14 PM

justinxtreme said:
If money isn't a problem get the Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB, it has 2GB of GDDR5. It's mroe tan enough. I have two of them in crossfireX and im very satisfied with it. It's around $450 to $550. It's faster than both the HD 470 1GB and the GTX 285 1GB. It's driver is still in the works since its current drivers are not taking full advatage of the GPU still it pars with GTX 295. GTX 295's drivers are pretty good it takes full advantage of the GPU. If ATI makes it drivers optimize and take full advatage of the HD 4870 X2 especially two of them in CrossfireX it would kill the GTX 295.



i would but some of the games i play will not work with the x2 cards for some reason. so im astick with 1x cards for now untill i build my next beast.
February 7, 2009 9:33:21 PM

so as of this stage we have come to the agrement that the 4780 is a nice grfx card to update from the 8800gtx i have right now but the 285 will be even better and may not need to be replaced as soon due to gaming needs.
February 7, 2009 9:34:17 PM

um im also suggesting you to get the windows 7 beta. its faster than vista and has a bit of performance increase in gaming plus its more responsive, its as responsive as when you install windows xp fresh and launch Internet Explorer 6 (I upgraded to IE7 long time ago and I noticed a gap in how fast IE7 starts from IE6). They have 64-bit versions and 32-bit versions of it available for free (download size is 2.5GB i think). One thing I need to tell you, if you download i off the official microsoft website DONT PAUSE THE DOWNLOAD. IT WILL CORRUPT THE FILES, I download it the first time and paused it and it corrupted the install.wim file. Tested downloading it three times on a 768kbps connection (it took me around 5 to 6 hours to complete downloading each one) and puased two of them and turned out it was crrupted while the one i continued downloading (no interuptions) installed sucesfully. it installs in 10 to 15 minutes, so dont worry about how long it takes to install Windows 7 its not like Vista's 3 hour installation process.
February 7, 2009 9:34:35 PM

justinxtreme said:
If money isn't a problem get the Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB, it has 2GB of GDDR5. It's mroe tan enough. I have two of them in crossfireX and im very satisfied with it. It's around $450 to $550. It's faster than both the HD 470 1GB and the GTX 285 1GB. It's driver is still in the works since its current drivers are not taking full advatage of the GPU still it pars with GTX 295. GTX 295's drivers are pretty good it takes full advantage of the GPU. If ATI makes it drivers optimize and take full advatage of the HD 4870 X2 especially two of them in CrossfireX it would kill the GTX 295.



Do you even read reviews? It doesn't par with the 295 gtx lol. It has a game or 2, but the 295 GTX does beat it. though I wouldn;'t use the word killing like ppl do.

And no the 295 GTXs drivers are not mature.... plz don't talk out of ur @ss, the bloody card came out around begining of Jan, the 4870 X2 came out Aug, how does that make sense?

4870 X2 quad isn't the best investment now, neither is 295 GTX. Yes you can say that 2 4870 X2s in quad fire if properly optimized could kill the 295 GTX, but your forgetting that he needs a new cpu to take advantage of this, which would be the i7 cpus.

Honestly does no1 catch some of these posts?

Did you kno he uses 1280x1024?

My god some of these post LMAO
February 7, 2009 9:36:03 PM

He has crossfire system I would go with 4870 1 gig:)  The 285 GTX can be noticeably better but it would be a waste for you with your crossfire board.
February 7, 2009 9:37:29 PM

what do u mean by it wont work with x2 GPU's how do u know? also be noted that only buy the HD 4870 X2 if you have a monitor with 1650x050 resolution and plan on putting games at maximum settings with high AA and AF, mines is 2560x1600. The HD 4870 X2 doesn't perform that well when competing against other gPU's on lower resolutions and no AA and AF, it actally does worse sometimes than the HD 4870.
February 7, 2009 9:40:01 PM

oh ok sorry if ur playing at 1280x1024 get the 4870 anyways like what l1qu1d said it would be a waste of money to buy a GTX 285 when your going to be playing at low resolutions like 1280x1024 plus you have a crossfire system so go with the 4870.
February 7, 2009 9:42:21 PM

His CPU will bottleneck the 4870 X2, the monitor would waste the 4870 X2.

Take some factors into play, your telling him to also jump into an unfinished and un polished windows. 4870 X2 is a good option, just not for quad fire. Right now the quad fire is a waste. Especially since its alot easier to program for 2 or 3 GPUs.

I would AT most stick to 1 4870 X2, but I would say save your money and buy 1 4870 1gig, since 2 of those in crossfire have been known to beat the 4870 X2 for some reason.

the 4870 1 gig would do well even @ 1650x1050. My old 9600 GT runs a 1920x1200 in my dad's computer lol, and I played cod4, cod 5 and l4d on his tv.

4870 1 gig +1 .
February 7, 2009 9:46:53 PM

justinxtreme said:
what do u mean by it wont work with x2 GPU's how do u know? also be noted that only buy the HD 4870 X2 if you have a monitor with 1650x050 resolution and plan on putting games at maximum settings with high AA and AF, mines is 2560x1600. The HD 4870 X2 doesn't perform that well when competing against other gPU's on lower resolutions and no AA and AF, it actally does worse sometimes than the HD 4870.



one of the games i play is world of warcraft. todate not a single player has been able to play the game using a 2x card.
February 7, 2009 9:47:34 PM

how can i up my rez now? new lcd? am i limited due to my curent lcd screen? its a samsung sync master 931c
February 7, 2009 9:52:58 PM

L1qu1d said:
Do you even read reviews? It doesn't par with the 295 gtx lol. It has a game or 2, but the 295 GTX does beat it. though I wouldn;'t use the word killing like ppl do.

And no the 295 GTXs drivers are not mature.... plz don't talk out of ur @ss, the bloody card came out around begining of Jan, the 4870 X2 came out Aug, how does that make sense?

4870 X2 quad isn't the best investment now, neither is 295 GTX. Yes you can say that 2 4870 X2s in quad fire if properly optimized could kill the 295 GTX, but your forgetting that he needs a new cpu to take advantage of this, which would be the i7 cpus.

Honestly does no1 catch some of these posts?

Did you kno he uses 1280x1024?

My god some of these post LMAO


yes i know that gtx 295 came out on january but theyve been working on the drivers and optimizing it for the gtx 295 ever since HD 4870 X2 was released (well not neccesariliy that exact time point). U have to admit that NVIDIA makes batter and optimized drivers than ATI and if NVIDIA was the creator of the HD 4870 X2 there drivers (if they optimized it for HD 4870 X2) would have already taken full advantage of the card and it would kill there own GTX 295. I mean 2GB of GDDR5 should be able to take out GDDR3 and 1.8GB of VRAM. THX for the info though. still if the GTX 285 is at the same price i think as the DH 4870 X2 which one would you get?

HD 4870 X2 has DX10.1, 2GB GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0, Quad CrossfireX capability.

GTX 285 has DX10, 1GB of GDDR3 and Tri-GPU SLI capability plus dont forget PhysX.

anyways get what lqu1d said which is the HD 4870 1GB

GX 285>HD 4870 1GB

HD 4870 is enough for playing games at 1280x1024 up to i guest 1920x1200 in some games. anyways get the HD 4870 1GB.
February 7, 2009 9:56:25 PM

yea i am looking at getting a 1920 x 1200 24in wide screen
February 7, 2009 10:00:43 PM

justinxtreme said:
yes i know that gtx 295 came out on january but theyve been working on the drivers and optimizing it for the gtx 295 ever since HD 4870 X2 was released (well not neccesariliy that exact time point). U have to admit that NVIDIA makes batter and optimized drivers than ATI and if NVIDIA was the creator of the HD 4870 X2 there drivers (if they optimized it for HD 4870 X2) would have already taken full advantage of the card and it would kill there own GTX 295. I mean 2GB of GDDR5 should be able to take out GDDR3 and 1.8GB of VRAM. THX for the info though. still if the GTX 285 is at the same price i think as the DH 4870 X2 which one would you get?

HD 4870 X2 has DX10.1, 2GB GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0, Quad CrossfireX capability.

GTX 285 has DX10, 1GB of GDDR3 and Tri-GPU SLI capability plus dont forget PhysX.

anyways get what lqu1d said which is the HD 4870 1GB

GX 285>HD 4870 1GB

HD 4870 is enough for playing games at 1280x1024 up to i guest 1920x1200 in some games. anyways get the HD 4870 1GB.



There are SOOOOOOOOO many factors at play man, research. X1950s had DDR4....did that work? For a period of time, yes but it was abondaned for the much better GDDR5 or ignored by the GDDR3 (The X1950 was amazing, I loved that card but it was outperformed by a GDDR3 card, thats what I'm pointing out don't jump:) ). GDDR5 is amazing, I can't wait to see a 512 bit bus width card using it.
I'm not saying that the 4870 X2 is bad, but you can't just say well 2 gigs vs 1.8...because its technically 1 gig vs 893 ...you kno the cards don't use 2 gigs right? its 1 per pcb.

Please research around before posting advice. This isn't something to put you down at all, but your going to mis inform alot of ppl.

4870 has GDDR5 how come it isn't outperformint eh 280 GTX? Remember that the 4870 X2 is around the 260 GTX x's 2. The 295 GTX is basically like this 280 GTX > 295 GTX > 260 GTX~4870 X2.

Anyways. The difference between the 295 GTX and 4870 X2 doesn't justify the 100$ less 4870 X2 you can find if your lucky. \

Good luck with your purchase OP:) 
February 7, 2009 10:02:24 PM

um why r u upgrading exactly. whats your current gpu? if u hav a syncmaster 931c 19" LCD Monitor theres no reason to upgrade unless you hav a crappy 8400Gs or 8600GT GPU, currently my borther has a overclocked 8400GS with amd athlon x2 3800+ and plays crysis on l192 lcd at 1440x900 low-medium settings while maintaining an fps of 10 to 20 depending on scene. if u hav a 8800gt or something similar theres no reason to upgrade unless ur going for a 22" or 24" LCD monitor.

to want these GPU's you need a big LCD and high resolution monitor. i mean what's the point of buying it when you'll achieve around 60FPS to 100FPS and you wont notice the difference (unless u hav the 8400 or 8600 or something similar). if ur not plannign on upgrading ur monitor get something like a 8800GT or 9600GT, just dont get a 4870 or GTX 285 its overkill for 1280x1024 LCD mointor.
February 7, 2009 10:09:21 PM

thx for info though.... i only bought this becuase it was pretty fast GPU during that time. no reason for me to upgrade to GTX 295 anyways.

still if ATI optimized their drivers and took full advantage of their GPU it would be fast enough to beat the GTX 295 significantly. im just trying to make a point that sometimes powerful GPU's can loose to a bit more downgraded GPU's just because it being bottlenecked by there drivers.

oh yeah there planning on doing that 512bit GDDR5 GPU for the HD 5 series. ill upgrade to those when they become available. they said its going to be pretty fast plus i heard that there going to be capable of octo crossfirex (with 4 X2 GPU's). im not convincing u to wait im just saying that i heard rumors but these are just rmors tho


anyways if ur looking at a 1920x1200 monitor get a HD 4870.
February 7, 2009 10:12:17 PM

um also, if ur going to sell the 19" LCD monitor im interested. im in need of a second monitor for my PC.
February 7, 2009 10:12:19 PM

i have the 8800gtx right now. but im in the proses of upgrading the comp as i have not done it in allmost 4 or 5 years now. Started off with upgrading CPU from a e6700 to a q 9650. The i wanted a better grfx so im going from an 8800gtx to a hd 4870. Then realized i cant that full advantage of the power form the card with out upgrading to a bigger better screen. ( i was all redy looking into doing it anyways.)
February 7, 2009 10:13:06 PM

justinxtreme said:
um also, if ur going to sell the 19" LCD monitor im interested. im in need of a second monitor for my PC.



na im give this one to the wife and hers to the kids comp lol. i have a 15 in lcd if you want? lol
February 7, 2009 10:16:21 PM

@OP

Your board DOES support 8x/8x crossfire. Dont rule out two 4850's. I used to own that board. PCIe v1 nor 8x/8x will cripple the 4850.
February 7, 2009 10:16:56 PM

Quote:
still if ATI optimized their drivers and took full advantage of their GPU it would be fast enough to beat the GTX 295 significantly.


Some1 PLZ respond to this..... This is just pathetic. The 4870 X2 need sto make up the lost frames + gain more frames, lets just cut our odds and atleast call it even... my god some of the comments.

wow.

Move on..
February 7, 2009 10:18:22 PM

The 4870X2 does not beat the GTX295. Period. However there is a $100 price difference. Plus the 4970X2 (whatever the revision cards due next 2 months are called) will be competing with the GTX295.
February 7, 2009 10:23:12 PM

um i need to ask one question: what would be the fastest PCI GPU that's around $20? My 4 year old brother has a Dell GX1 450MBtr (i bought it for him so that he'll stop bothering me; he loves to play halo and stuff)

Im going to upgrade that PC with an Intel Pentium !!! 1GHz processor and 1024MB of PC125 of SDRAM plus Sound Blaster Live Sound card. just want to know what GPU that uses the PCI interface that is capable of at least playing Halo at 1024x768 Medium or lower. The ATI Rage integrated cant play (obviously!).

I also got my 2 year old brother an Intel Pentium !!! 500Mhz PC with VIA unichrome integrated GPU and 128MB of RAM. my 2 year old brother is learning to play vice city and halo and other games. the only thing is its slow... is there any GPU that's PCI interface based and is around $5 to $15.

Also what's a good GPU for the AGP interface that's around $10 to $30. My 8 year old brother has a Gateway Performance 1500 CS which my dad bought for bussiness then gave it to me in 2001 for around $3000. it features intel pentium 4 1.5ghz, radeon 7000 ve agp 4x creative live sound card and 384mb of RDRAM. and i also need 1GB or atleast 512MB of RDRAM thats cheap (arond lets say $10 to $30) since everywhere i look its sold for around $100 to $200 and its of course slower than DDR2 and DDR3.
February 7, 2009 10:29:23 PM

Its liek you guys are making me feel bad about me buying those two HD 4870 x2's. My system is pretty much configured to play games at highest settings.

Intel Core i7 965XE OC'ed 4GHz
Gigabyte X53 Crossfire motherboard
12GB of Triple Channel DDR3-1800 RAM
Two Radeon HD 4870 X2's 2GB PCIE in CrossfireX
Sound Blaser X-Fi Titanium PCIE

oh is it possible to add a GEFORCE 8400GS for PhysX convienience (don ask and tell me that i dont need it i just want to know, i hav an extra $100 to spend)
February 7, 2009 10:32:46 PM

Nobody is making you feel bad, this isnt even youre thread youve pretty much hijacked it. Make your own thread if you need this much help.
February 7, 2009 10:36:45 PM

if u are selling that 8800 gtx im interested. my 10 year old borther needs a more powerful GPU his 8600 GT isn't as good as we thought it would be. anyways hope your selling for around $30 to $70. if ur planning on selling the E700 processor u hav their im also interested. im selling an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ for $30
February 7, 2009 10:54:37 PM

spathotan said:
Nobody is making you feel bad, this isnt even youre thread youve pretty much hijacked it. Make your own thread if you need this much help.



A+, dude you came into the thread, and started shooting bullets, None of which were factual, they were opinionated. We're talking about ppl's money here, and you come and start sharing some information that doesn't fit.

No1 is trying to make you feel bad about your system, but you can't just blindly start saying number 1 number 1. Look at grid. The 280 GTX sli was soooo powerful beating every setup for 2 cards...what happened in grid? It lost.... in some cases it lost noticeably. So you really can't have hard core facts saying its the best.

Right now the best configuration on the market is 3 285s. Does it always win? No. Look at supreme commander, 4870s X2 quads beat the 280s (I'll assume they beat teh 285s too, but I haven't seen benchies). Even though most are won by the 285s, doesn't mean its the system that wins for every1. What if your game is grid? :) 

Thats all we're saying.
!