Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2009 4:30:33 PM

Hello,

I recently have build a system, with the following hardware:

Phenom II 940 - 3.0ghz
OCZ Reaper 1066mhz, 4x2gb - 8gb
Asus M4A79 DELUXE Motherboard
Sapphire 1gb Radeon HD4870

Randomly, I have been getting crashes with the system. When I first turned on the computer, it booted fine, and I went right into overclocking. I manually set the ram to 1066mhz (Since with 4 dimms the NB can only support 800), and I overclocked the CPU to 3.4ghz.

Later that day, I realized that my computer had not gone to standby, and it would not wake up the monitors. I reset the system, and it booted fine.

When this same problem happend again, I decided to lower the timings on the RAM back to the supported 800mhz. The computer still crashed. I then lowered the CPU to stock, while again raising the RAM to 1066mhz. The computer crashed again.

The last configuration I tried was with the CPU at 3.2ghz (should be easily done) with the RAM at 800ghz. I thought it was running fine - having worked for nearly 2 days, however it just crashed (doing common tasks, far from stressful). My components are still under warranty for now, however I would like to find out if there are any issues with them asap. I am currently running everything at stock to find a crash, but since the last test took a few days to fail, I wanted to post about this to see if anyone else had any other theory's besides the small overclocking.

Thank you

More about : random crashes

April 10, 2009 4:59:53 AM

you didnt mention the psu.
memtest the ram
set the bios to default?
no excessive temps in the oc?
could just have exposed a flaw somewhere , try reseating everything? try safe mode to see if its driver related?
April 10, 2009 5:01:42 AM

oh and search the web for anyone having mem issues on that mobo using the same ram.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2009 7:06:05 AM

Reinstall the graphics drivers - uninstall the old one first.

Often when the system hangs it corrupts the graphics drivers in the process ... or as a result of the driver hanging itself.

monitor your temps when you reboot it and under a decent load - encode something to load it up.

See if that has anything to do with it.

If it is under warranty then don't go messing with the hardware if you suspect something - take it back to them first.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2009 7:18:11 AM

Try running prime95 and memtest.
April 10, 2009 2:59:18 PM

Thank you for the suggestions.

The PSU is a 600W Cooler Master

I'd been running memtest and prime95 (both small and balanced tests). At full load, the CPU gets to 59 deg C (when overclocked to 3.4ghz). The only time memtest had come up with anything was when i was running at 1066. After I had switched to 800, there has been no issues with the tests, including the one I ran for 12 hours last night.

Prime95 also does not show any errors for an extended period of time unless I increase the FSB a few mhz. I managed to run at 3.4ghz for roughly 16 hours without a freeze.

I actually had just reset everything, namely by doing a bios upgrade. The bios version I was running was a beta upgrade, but they had just released a legit one.
The only other thing I didn't mention was that I'm running a Raid 0 with 2x 74GB Raptors.

I'd love to return the part that is causing the issue. As of now, I'm not really sure what is actually causing the problem.

Thank you for your help in my brainstorm, and keep the ideas coming.
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2009 8:15:07 PM

Instead of manually reversing the changes in the bios, you may want to load the default settings and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, it's just a bad OC. If it doesn't, you've probly got some hardware issue. But that will at least get you on the right track.
April 11, 2009 12:12:44 AM

I didn't need to manually reverse everything. When I did the last BIOS upgrade, it reset all of the settings. This time, the only thing I configured was my raid setup - Not changing any other settings. It has been stable for a day so far with the new BIOS, so we'll see what happens. Like I said before though, the last freeze took 2 days.
April 13, 2009 5:06:34 PM

It was going well ever since I posted on the forum, however, last night the computer froze again while playing a game. I tried reinstalling the graphics, updating the bios, but I guess neither worked.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 4:29:20 AM

Try running cpuz to check the speeds and voltages.
May 5, 2009 10:11:50 AM

Weird man...

I have the exact same problem on a pc thats only 3-4 days old!

My specs:
Amd Phenom II X4 940 (scythe mugen 2 cooler)
Asus M4N78 Pro mobo (video onboard)
OCZ HPS Reaper 1066mhz 2x2GB
Cooler Master Real Power 520w
OCZ Vertex 60GB + Samsung Spinpoint F1 640GB

As you can see, we have almost the exact same specs..
I haven't overclocked it, latest bios and settings are standard.

My computer boots fine, installs windows fine.. no problems at all there, but it hangs on really weird moments, with no stress at all :S For example: I opened firefox, clicked on the search field at google and suddenly my pc hung.. ctrl + alt + del wasn't possible..

My cpu is around 30-35 degrees idle and the mobo at 25~ according to Asus PC-Probe and the Bios.

What could be causing these crashes? I've tried official XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 RC, both had these random crashes every now and then..
a c 115 à CPUs
May 5, 2009 10:26:45 AM

1) ungang the memory controllers ?

2) disable spread spectrum ?
May 5, 2009 10:31:50 AM

Wisecracker said:
1) ungang the memory controllers ?

2) disable spread spectrum ?

Could you explain this? I have no idea what you mean :/  what is "ungang" and what is "spread spectrum"?
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2009 10:52:10 AM

Have you gone into Computer Management / Event Viewer / System and taken a look at what fatal errors are being thrown up?

Right click My Computer and go to Manage first.
May 5, 2009 11:36:36 AM

Reynod said:
Have you gone into Computer Management / Event Viewer / System and taken a look at what fatal errors are being thrown up?

Right click My Computer and go to Manage first.

Yeah I quickly went over that, but couldn't really find something weird.... next time my pc crashes again it will be the first thing i'll do
a c 115 à CPUs
May 5, 2009 6:37:00 PM

Xantulle said:
Could you explain this? I have no idea what you mean :/  what is "ungang" and what is "spread spectrum"?

1) The K10 arch utilizes a 128-bit (2x64-bit 'ganged') memory controller. It's faster but less stable. If you 'ungang' the memory controller it will operate in '2x64-bit' mode, your performance will be marginally less, but much more stable. There is a setting in the BIOS.

2) The different components of a computer run at different clocks based upon the 'pulse' of a crystal. These different clock pulses or 'signals' may generate *EMI* or electro-magnetic interference. 'Spread spectrum' when enabled is used to modulate or 'flatten' the interference.

It is highly doubtful you have an EMI problem. Spread spectrum can really screw up system timings. You should disable spread spectrum in the BIOS for optimal system stability and performance.
May 6, 2009 11:00:52 PM

I believe the Phenom II 940 does not officially support 4XDDR2-1066 configurations. Additional northbridge voltage may help, but I'm not sure.
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2009 2:43:39 AM

ok posted there for you.
a c 115 à CPUs
May 7, 2009 4:50:11 PM

smithereen said:
I believe the Phenom II 940 does not officially support 4XDDR2-1066 configurations. Additional northbridge voltage may help, but I'm not sure.

I think Xantulle has a series of problems - first being the 2x2Gb of OCZ HPC Reaper. If I recall it needs at least 2.2v-2.3v at 1066MHz (not sure of the timings). If the mobo defaults to JEDEC SPD he is way off.

I don't mean to dawg OCZ but I also suspect that the RAM may simply be over-volted DDR2 800 with reduced timings.

Maybe Memtest would help him.

Don't know about electrodon - either we fixed his problems or 'exploded' it :whistle: 

a b à CPUs
May 7, 2009 5:39:09 PM

The 1066 reapers are 2.1v. I've used a few different kits of the reapers from DDR2 to DDR3 and never had a problem with voltages. They always boot right up. As long as the board supports the RAM, the cpu should be fine.
August 9, 2009 11:48:31 AM

I am also having problems with a Phenom II and 2 sticks of DDR2-1066. Random crashes and blue screen having to do with memory issues or oddball files. When the ram is set to 800, no problems at all. A technician from G.Skill posted the settings for the RAM & my board, so I used them and still have issues. The last thing to try is the spread spectrum before I'm out of ideas.

BFG 650watt PS
Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
Phenom II X3 720 Black
GSkill 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1 V
WD Caviar Black 500g HD

I thought it was an overclocking thing, but I run into problems at stock speeds too, if I let the RAM set itself, or if I use the recommended settings. I'll let you know if the spread spectrum works

UR31337
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 2:48:49 PM

I am having very similar problems. I made a thread about this a couple days ago. I have tried everything. Prime95 (small, blended, large), MemTest, chkdsk, etc. Nothing shows any errors. No crashes in games either. But, I will be running firefox reading a webpage and BAM!, hard lock-up with no BSOD. I even tried reinstalling Windows fresh. Also, reinstalled firefox, antivirus, etc. I am out of things to try. This seems to occur roughly every 1-2 days.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 6:06:43 PM

ur31337 said:
I am also having problems with a Phenom II and 2 sticks of DDR2-1066. Random crashes and blue screen having to do with memory issues or oddball files. When the ram is set to 800, no problems at all. A technician from G.Skill posted the settings for the RAM & my board, so I used them and still have issues. The last thing to try is the spread spectrum before I'm out of ideas.

BFG 650watt PS
Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
Phenom II X3 720 Black
GSkill 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1 V
WD Caviar Black 500g HD

I thought it was an overclocking thing, but I run into problems at stock speeds too, if I let the RAM set itself, or if I use the recommended settings. I'll let you know if the spread spectrum works

UR31337

Did you download and check the RAM settings on CPUZ?
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 6:07:36 PM

CooLWoLF said:
I am having very similar problems. I made a thread about this a couple days ago. I have tried everything. Prime95 (small, blended, large), MemTest, chkdsk, etc. Nothing shows any errors. No crashes in games either. But, I will be running firefox reading a webpage and BAM!, hard lock-up with no BSOD. I even tried reinstalling Windows fresh. Also, reinstalled firefox, antivirus, etc. I am out of things to try. This seems to occur roughly every 1-2 days.

You may want to try another browser to see if you still freeze up. That'll help narrow it down.
a b à CPUs
August 9, 2009 9:31:51 PM

I may try that as well. I just don't see how a simple browser could be my problem. Has firefox ever been known to cause hard lock-ups?
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2009 4:57:36 AM

I use firefox, and haven't had any problems with freezing. But you have to start narrowing it down, and that's a good place to start since that's what's running when you are freezing up. If I were you, I would try IE7 or chrome.
October 1, 2009 2:43:31 AM

I just set up my system:
M4N78 Pro
Phenom 9600
Ultra 500W, etc. etc.

I was having no problem with the RAM I initially had, which was the OCZ Blade 1066 (I should add that I was running it at 800). Then I switched to the OCZ Reaper 1066 and manually set the BIOS to 1066. Then I started getting crashes.

Sorry it's not a perfectly controlled experiment, since there are two variables (new RAM, different Mhz), but that might give you something to go on. Weird, though--the Reaper is on the QVL and the Blade isn't.
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 3:12:07 AM

If you didn't set the voltages, that would explain the crashes.
October 1, 2009 1:30:13 PM

Thanks for the tip. Call me a noob, but I didn't know that. Any tips on how to know what kind of voltage I should be looking for with OCZ Reaper 1066 ton the M4N78 Pro motherboard?
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2009 4:56:59 PM

In the BIOS, manually set the RAM to 2.1v.
!