matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I know this might be a bit OT, but if you want a bit of a chuckle go over to the circuitcity.com forums and check out the rampant misinformation. Actually, at times its a bit more frustrating than amusing. The moderators try so hard to dissuade people from building if they bring it up. And this one guy was trying to say a 1.8GHz Phenom would outperform a C2Q. Yes, I've been very bored today.

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

Haha, very true. I would have never normally gone there, but cold medicine and insomnia makes you do silly things!

Zenthar

Distinguished
While I was in college, I had a similar "hobby", but in a more in-your-face style. I would tag-along when non-technical friends would shop for computers in "Best-Buy-like" stores and point-out, in the clerks face, every wrong information he would tell, or add "facts" that he didn't tell my friend. In the end, they often bought pre-built, but they knew the facts and knew what they were paying more for.

From time to time, I still do that kind of stuff when I hear gross misinformation being told to complete strangers in stores (like being told that performance would be much better if they spend X$ more for the 1GB version of a low-end video card). Sometimes, it's only 10-20$, but I think it's still a con no matter the amount.

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

That's so great because I was thinking about taking up the exact same hobby! Only I was going to go to Best Buy or Circuit City for the express reason of asking the sales people questions I know they can't answer. Wow, that sounds really lame reading it back to myself. Only problem is that I'm currently trying to get a job at both places (though I think CC is a definite "no" now). So I think I'll put that off until I've totally ruled out the possibility of being hired at either store.

Zenthar

Distinguished
For a brief while I did that too (ask questions they couldn't answer), but then I quickly realized that it wasn't very nice to pick on them since they did nothing in the first place. How do those people end-up in the computer section of the store, I got no ideas, but that should be a reason to pick at the store, not the clerk. By simply "correcting" them while they give incorrect information you either stress them by catch them red-handed while voluntarily lying to a client or you make them learn something new, either way I find this a win-win situation :).

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
i always had to explain over and over to people why a card with 512mb (9600gt) would outperform a 1gb card like an 8400 or something when i worked at staples

no wonder i didnt sell anything lol