IDE interface/chipset limitations

G

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=984172&l=0a2192ca93&id=1660396808
320gb Western Digital 7200rpm, 10gb short stroke speeds
Min read = 58.7mbps
Max read = 91.9mbps
Avg read = 83.9mpbs
Latency = 15.7ms

As you can see from the graph the first 2/3 of the benchmark is about 90mbps. Whats the theoretical limitation for the IDE interface and this is with a Brookdale chipset (don't know the southbridge off the top of my head) Asus P4B-LX mobo (sony version with locked bios)? I'm going to get rid of this setup soon and was wondering how this drive would perform for a temporary boot drive using 133 IDE in an AM3 Mobo. (just to run Ubuntu). I know compared to some lower end SSD's this drive isn't must slower, except for the access latency.

Solution
ATA-100 has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 100MByte/sec, and it looks to me like that's what you're seeing here. It'll never get to a full 100MByte/sec due to protocol overhead.

ATA-133 has a theoretical transfer rate of 133MByte/sec, and again there will be protocol overhead involved.

Its also possible that there's another bottleneck in the controller itself or its connection to the PCI bus depending on how the chipset is organized.
ATA-100 has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 100MByte/sec, and it looks to me like that's what you're seeing here. It'll never get to a full 100MByte/sec due to protocol overhead.

ATA-133 has a theoretical transfer rate of 133MByte/sec, and again there will be protocol overhead involved.

Its also possible that there's another bottleneck in the controller itself or its connection to the PCI bus depending on how the chipset is organized.

Solution
G

Thanks for the information.

I'm not so sure if I want a Samsung 7200rpm, sataII drive or a 32gb flash drive for my boot. For the Samsung it would be short stroke as well (30gb maybe) then have a larger drive for storage. Seeing that one of the 32gb Adata drives has 230mbps read, and 180mbps write the Samsung F3 500gb with a short stroke should be awfully close. (I know access times are longer on mechanical drives, Ubuntu already boots in 20 seconds on my 9 year old rig anyways. haha)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/h2benchw-3.12-Avg-Write-Throughput,1013.html

What do you think, Samsung F3 short stroke vs 32gb mlc ssd?

An SSD will beat any hard drive hands down for fast access times, and that means it will be a lot faster at tasks such as booting the system or starting up programs which require a lot of random I/O. That's certainly true in the Windows world, but I'm not a *nix guy, and it's possible the difference in boot/start times will be smaller with it, possibly depending on the file system being used.