Sign in with
Your question

I7 860 overclocking temps

Last response: in Overclocking
July 1, 2010 3:36:26 PM

I've had my i7 860 for a few weeks now and all is well so im thinking of overclocking it in the bios. Im just wondering what temps would be considered too high. Im using speedfan to monitor the temps and Prime 95 to stress test.

Asus P7P55D Evo
i7 860
4GB DDR3 1600
ATI 4890

also, which test is best in Prime 95?

at the moment i've reached 2.94Ghz and Prime95 is doing the SmallFFT test for about 15 mins. Im getting CPU 76c Cores, 76, 76, 74, 73. but everything seems stable, im writing this as it tests with no hiccups. Im on the stock cooler and its in a Coolermaster 335 elite case with inhale at the front and side, exhale at the back fans.
Thanks

More about : 860 overclocking temps

a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 4:32:57 PM

These are high temps to start with - operating electronics at elevated temps reduces their lives. No question about this. Whatever cooler you are using, the idle temps should be not over 35 degs C and heavy gaming temps should not be over 50 degs C.

When you start the OC in the BIOS, make sure that the RAM ratio is set to its LOWEST value. This will eliminate the RAM as the cause of instability in the OC process. RealTemp is a good program to install - so is OCCT.

After you achieve the desired stable level of OC, you can raise the RAM ratio so as not to exceed the manufacturer's rated speed. A slight underclock of the RAM is fine.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2010 6:46:26 PM

Yes, as already stated you are at the max "safe" temp threshold already. The stock Intel cooler is NOT capable enough to OC with, so if you do want to OC your processor you need an aftermarket cooler.

I would also just use Coretemp or Realtemp to monitor your core temperatures. FYI, the cpu temp is just being guessed by speedfan, hence is not a reliable way to track your temperatures, core temps below 75-77c should be the goal.

You may want to check out the Data Sheet for your processor, lots of info on temps, voltages, etc:
http://www.intel.com/design/corei7/documentation.htm
!