WD5000AKS RAID-0 Array, TLER disabled? URGENT!

roroxiiroro

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I currently own 2 500GB WD5000AKS HDDS and I want to set them yp in Raid-0, but I researched that without the TLER the errors will be massive, and the HDDs were manufactured in early 2010 so the WDTLER utility is out of the solutions list, I havent install anything yet, just wanted to check with you guys to hear some suggestions before getting into it. My mobo is a MSI big Bang Trinergy

Solution

I wasnt sure what TLER was Wiki'ed it and it shows how to turn it off for a 500GB drive doesnt say anything about drives made in 2010. Personally I have not had any TLER errors on a raid between a 1600AAKS and a 160AAJS, or on my new RAID array of 3x 6400AAKS. You cal always greate the RAID and test it out if it gives doesnt give you any...

I wasnt sure what TLER was Wiki'ed it and it shows how to turn it off for a 500GB drive doesnt say anything about drives made in 2010. Personally I have not had any TLER errors on a raid between a 1600AAKS and a 160AAJS, or on my new RAID array of 3x 6400AAKS. You cal always greate the RAID and test it out if it gives doesnt give you any problems dont worry about it.

Sorry I wish I could be of more help

Solution

dcouzin

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

Hard drives for RAID are commonly said to benefit from TLER (time-limited error recovery) but I believe this does not apply to RAID 0. To the contrary, a RAID 0 setup, because it has no redundancy, can't afford to limit error recovery. So I believe that the TLER settings of RAID/Enterprise class hard drives are (at best) useless with RAID 0.

If this interpretation is correct then you're lucky that your year 2010 WD drive is non-RAID/Enterprise class. The WDTLER utility doesn't work with it, so you can't limit error recovery to 7 seconds, which limit you don't want with RAID 0.