Sign in with
Your question

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 problem?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2010 12:05:19 AM

I'm not actually overclocking, but this was the only section of the board that had the Coolers & Heatsinks section. Sorry if it's in the wrong place. I am very new to using non-stock PCs and upgrading, so please bare with me.

First off, here is my set up (listing as much as I can because I don't know what all you need/want to see):

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra6)
Chipset: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
CPU Heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
GPU: Raedon HD5750
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400W
HD: 500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

I recently ordered the CPU, GPU, and PSU (thanks to some very helpful members on here). The CPU's stock heatsink was running too hot (idling around 55-60C and getting up to the 68 area during intensive use) so I decided to order an aftermarket heatsink. I checked some reviews on here and ended up with my affordable Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2.

Last night after installing it the heatsink got down to the area I was hoping for. My CPU was running at a great core temp of 34C at the lowest and only 50 at load. I got home from work today, however, and my computer is idling at a pretty constant 45-47C and sometimes breaking 60 again at load. I shut it down for a bit to see if that might have helped at all. I also opened it up and the fan is spinning fine.

Originally, I was worried that I had put the fan in incorrectly, but seeing its performance last night I thought that it must have been fine. The directions showed that I should have my RAM sticks on the right (if the fan is facing north, the RAM would be on the east). If I had put it in like that, though, the fan would just be facing down and be almost pressed up against the bottom of my case. Instead, I put it in the opposite way so that the fan would be facing up the way both my original stock CPU and heatsink were set up and also the way my Phenom II X4 and its heatsink were set up. I'm not sure if I need to change the direction of the fan, but I wouldn't imagine that'd be the problem seeing as the temp was really cool and in the mid 30's last night with the same direction.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions, that'd be great. Thanks.
July 2, 2010 4:44:21 AM

it could be that you have put on too much or too little thermal paste. Take off the cooler from the CPU, clean off any thermal paste that is on there, and then try again. This is a very common issue
m
l
July 2, 2010 5:00:35 AM

you could try removing the cover off the side of the case, if that lowers the temperature then your pc isnt getting enough airflow.
m
l
Related resources
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 2, 2010 5:38:46 AM

^+1 xAPOCALYPSEx
m
l
July 2, 2010 7:51:34 PM

Thanks guys. The heatsink came with pre-applied paste so I was going to save the paste I bought. I will definitely try that, though and report back.

@alhanelem: I did try that when I was checking to see if the fan was getting a good speed. Didn't have much of an effect, though. Thanks for the reply.

I think I have a theory, though. I just graduated high school and I don't move out for a couple more months. It's been in the 90's here in Nebraska and when I have a chance, I turn the thermostat down to 70-72F. My mother, however, puts it up at 80 whenever she has the chance because she "wants to save money." My computer runs a LOT cooler when I turn it down. Hopefully I can convince her that my new computer needs the temp down in order to have a long lifespan. Do you think that I still need to wipe off the pre-applied paste and put on my own?
m
l
July 9, 2010 8:26:46 AM

If you're knowledgeable and comfortable with adjusting your CPU voltage, adjust it down. My 955 was auto set to 1.4 CPU voltage, and I adjusted mine all the way down to 1.200 and was perfectly stable.

I'd start by reducing your voltage to 1.300-1.350 and see if that helps some.

With mine at 1.200 I run 31C @ idle and 40C @ load with an ambient of 26.8C
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:03:58 AM

cmcghee358 said:
If you're knowledgeable and comfortable with adjusting your CPU voltage, adjust it down. My 955 was auto set to 1.4 CPU voltage, and I adjusted mine all the way down to 1.200 and was perfectly stable.

I'd start by reducing your voltage to 1.300-1.350 and see if that helps some.

With mine at 1.200 I run 31C @ idle and 40C @ load with an ambient of 26.8C

I have been trying all night to find a way to undervolt and I have had no luck. RMClock doesn't work, AMD Overdrive didn't work (not sure if that would even adjust Voltages...), I don't see any options about voltages in my BIOS, and I can't find ANYTHING through searches.
m
l
July 15, 2010 7:45:01 PM

It depends on your motherboard/BIOS but mine is under a menu labeled MIT. At the very bottom it has voltages set to auto, I change it to manual then it allows me to adjust a category labeled CPU voltage.
m
l
July 15, 2010 10:51:10 PM

cmcghee358 said:
It depends on your motherboard/BIOS but mine is under a menu labeled MIT. At the very bottom it has voltages set to auto, I change it to manual then it allows me to adjust a category labeled CPU voltage.

Well, I have not been able to find anything about how to do it with my M2N68-LA (Narra 6) motherboard. In BIOS the only settings I could find were some power settings. I wrote down two of them:

S5 Max Power Savings
WOL in S5
m
l
July 15, 2010 10:57:50 PM

Maybe I missed it but is this on an HP Pavillion?

If so, HP/Dell etc are notorious for having weak BIOS that have very limited options. This could be why you can't find it
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:06:55 PM

Yeah that motherboard is made by Pegatron.

This tells me this is a Compaq/Dell/HP style computer. These are generally crap. Not only is the motherboard severely limited in what it can adjust, but the computer case itself has horrific airflow.

So no, you won't be able to adjust your CPU voltage through BIOS. I use Gigabyte EasyTune6 for mine, but it only works with a Gigabyte motherboard. Best I can recommend is www.google.com and search for Windows 7 program to adjust CPU voltage

Sorry and good luck.
m
l
!