Sign in with
Your question

New system ran fine with 1 4870, went blank when installed 2nd 4870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2009 7:38:43 AM

Well, I got my new Asus P5E3 Deluxe mobo today and spent the afternoon putting it together with my new 1600 DDR3 memory and two 4870's. Everything went smoothly and fired right up the first time, (with one 4870) I had the machine running well and updated, (not the BIOS yet) with the one 4870 and when I went upstairs to hook it up with the main 26" monitor, I also hooked up the 2nd 4870 w/power & crossfire.... went to fire it up... I got nothing... blank/black screen? Shoot... so I try the small 17" monitor I was using downstairs... still nothing? So I then unhook and take out the 2nd 4870 and try it again with the one 4870... nothing, blank/black screen. Next I took out the 1st 4870 and put in two different Graphic Card's and same problem? So, something happened when I tried running the second 4870. Either fried my Mobo or what... I don't know. My PS should be enough at 680W as it was fine for SLI 9800GTX+'s I was running before this.
Any ideas? I'm frustrated and tired... going to bed now. It's 1:20am.

Cheers... er... not so cheer
February 9, 2009 3:07:10 PM

jack54 said:
Well, I got my new Asus P5E3 Deluxe mobo today and spent the afternoon putting it together with my new 1600 DDR3 memory and two 4870's. Everything went smoothly and fired right up the first time, (with one 4870) I had the machine running well and updated, (not the BIOS yet) with the one 4870 and when I went upstairs to hook it up with the main 26" monitor, I also hooked up the 2nd 4870 w/power & crossfire.... went to fire it up... I got nothing... blank/black screen? Shoot... so I try the small 17" monitor I was using downstairs... still nothing? So I then unhook and take out the 2nd 4870 and try it again with the one 4870... nothing, blank/black screen. Next I took out the 1st 4870 and put in two different Graphic Card's and same problem? So, something happened when I tried running the second 4870. Either fried my Mobo or what... I don't know. My PS should be enough at 680W as it was fine for SLI 9800GTX+'s I was running before this.
Any ideas? I'm frustrated and tired... going to bed now. It's 1:20am.

Cheers... er... not so cheer

Uhh... thanks for all the wonderful help folks! :sarcastic: 

I posted this below to help others a it is obvious that most here don't know how to solve the above problem.

I figured it out myself yesterday...

I tried all kinds of things after it didn't post or go into BIOS. Blank, Black Screen, no beeps of any kind, etc
When I turn it on, the green power lights up, the PSU and other fans work fine... just no screen.
1. Tried different DDR3 memory
2. Tried different GPU's, 9800GT, 8600GT, 6200LE (which didn't need a 4-pin power)
3. Tried different PSU's
4. Tried booting with the HD, DVD drives disconnected to get into BIOS
5. Reseated CPU & memory
6. Took it out of case and put on wood bench to make sure there was no shorts... still don't post.

The diagnostic points to a bad mobo caused by not enough PSU wattage for crossfire.
February 9, 2009 6:27:38 PM

Sorry, haven't been on. uhm I had this problem on my Biostar and it was the Jumpers because the 2nd slot isn't set on until the black jumper and pink jumpers are set 2-3 instead of 1-2. Didn't know how to set them so I had to figure it out. Getting a better psu would help to. 680w, on Newly products and x2 4870's is alot of power.
February 9, 2009 6:47:28 PM

fullmetall said:
Sorry, haven't been on. uhm I had this problem on my Biostar and it was the Jumpers because the 2nd slot isn't set on until the black jumper and pink jumpers are set 2-3 instead of 1-2. Didn't know how to set them so I had to figure it out. Getting a better psu would help to. 680w, on Newly products and x2 4870's is alot of power.

That's a new one I didn't know. You think that could be the problem with my Asus P5E3 Deluxe mobo? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.
I also read somewhere: With DDR3 we've had several boards come through the store, where you
have to setup the first channel of ram in what would normally be the
secondary slots on most boards to get post.

I'll look into both before I send the mobo back.
March 3, 2010 12:30:06 PM

jack54 said:
That's a new one I didn't know. You think that could be the problem with my Asus P5E3 Deluxe mobo? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.
I also read somewhere: With DDR3 we've had several boards come through the store, where you
have to setup the first channel of ram in what would normally be the
secondary slots on most boards to get post.

I'll look into both before I send the mobo back.

I know this is old but did you ever find a resolution? I have a very similar problem with 2 4850s.
!