Sign in with
Your question

E8400 price drops coming up

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
April 10, 2009 3:28:32 AM

I've heard that there will be a price drop on intel cpus, on april 19, but is the E8400 included?

Also can some check out this system: Mostly used for gaming, and minimal encoding and editing

E8400
arctic cooling 7
Ep45-UD3l Mobo
4GB Patriot low timing ram
eVGA GTX 260 Core 216
WD 640 GB/ 32mb cache c.black
Antec 900(already bought)
Corsair TX650(already bought)
Windows Xp 64 bit

Any changes i should make? I going to buying this in 2 weeks.

Thanks

More about : e8400 price drops coming

a c 379 à CPUs
April 10, 2009 3:48:58 AM

Core 2 cpu's are not very sensitive to ram speeds.
If you look at real application and game benchmarks(vs. synthetic tests),
you will see negligible difference in performance between the slowest and fastest ram.
Perhaps 1-2%. Not worth it to me.
Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings unless you are a maximum overclocker.
You can get a corsair 4gb kit for $19.95 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Vista 64 bit runs better than XP 64 bit, and should be cheaper. If you are a student, look into an academic license.
Home premium is fine.

Your system looks good.

The vga card is all important for gaming, will the above savings let you get a GTX275?
a c 172 à CPUs
April 10, 2009 3:57:14 AM

Get a better cooler - Xig HDT S-1283V
Related resources
April 10, 2009 1:27:29 PM

^+1 jsc for Xigmatek. I have been using it for my E8400 and it dropped temps by 10 degrees C.

^+1 geofelt for Vista 64 bit. It is way more compatible and it allows for DirectX10.

Otherwise, great system you will love that 640AALS.
April 10, 2009 2:28:01 PM

+1 geofelt and jsc.

For video encoding/editing you'd we way better off with a Quad. Q6600 is fine. Add a TRUE and OC to 3.33/ 3.6

I'd recommend getting 4850 CF with a GA-EX38-DS4. The board is also better for OC
April 10, 2009 4:20:30 PM

okay thanks, i want to avoid shipping costs, and get the cooler from a local store, so the selection is not as high. (memoryexpress.com). Also, i already have xp, but maybe i can get vista. ( what is this student license thing)? I'm years away from university.
a c 379 à CPUs
April 10, 2009 4:30:18 PM

david8115 said:
okay thanks, i want to avoid shipping costs, and get the cooler from a local store, so the selection is not as high. (memoryexpress.com). Also, i already have xp, but maybe i can get vista. ( what is this student license thing)? I'm years away from university.

Here is a link to start with on academic pricing:
http://www.microsoft.com/Education/USAcademicPricing.ms...

Upgrade is a retail version which gives you support from microsoft, unlike OEM(AKA system builder),
and allows a more hassel-free ability to transfer the os to a different pc(motherboard).
For $10, microsoft will send you the 64 bit DVD.
I saw Vista home premium upgrade recently at Costco for $85, amazon for $89.
There is a legitimate two step instalation process to install an upgrade version
You install vista from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code.

Just tell the install which version you bought, and do not activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional vista for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the cd again, while running vista and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.
April 11, 2009 12:33:28 AM

^ That's amazing. Home Premium OEM is $100 I think. This is $85 and its retail! Maybe we could get our OS from university friends!
!