ASUS G73 A-1 motion blur and slower fps

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I have a brand new ASUS G73 A-1 notebook

Display

17.3" (1920 x 1080) LED backlit

CPU

Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo)

Memory

8GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5, DX11 Capable

Storage

1TB (2 x 500GB) 7200RPM Hard Drives

Optical

Blu-ray Combo Drive

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

I'm wanting to do some higher end gaming on it. I have updated the bios and the ATI catalyst plus the direct x and all that stuff. I have tested the games Dirt 2, Crysis and the MOH 2010 beta. All 3 seem to have alot of motion blur and just don't look like they are preforming as well as they should be... I'm very new to the high end computer game an I over clocked the GPU using the AMD tool and I seemed to get slightly better results on dirt 2 with high settings. I was wondering if it would be worth it to overclock the cpu as well? Also I understand a lot of the issues may just be software. I really need help on getting my computer running games to where they look good and don't have a blurry or choppy look when I move the mouse.

What should I do to get results???

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
In crysis in options there is the option to turn off motion blur, which is exactly what you're talking about.

I would turn off shadows and motion blur to the minimum/off settings. Crysis is a REAL system hog... that game has amazing graphics but jesus. I know, it's 2 years old, so you would think a newage PC would run it flawlessly.. but that's not the case. People still use it to benchmark with.

I would not overclock the CPU just yet. You would not notice a slight performance increase in gaming with a CPU overclock from what you have...There would be an increase in performance, but NOT what you would think. And it's a laptop, it's not like you can stick a 6 inch turbine inside of it to keep your CPU cool. If you overclock it, you're liable to get up for a break and have a burn hole in your pants.

Those are really nice specs

What is your FPS?
Go download Heaven benchmark 2.0 and reply back with your score.. You should get a score over 1000 with your PC. Maybe 1200-1500, on normal heaven benchmark settings.

Sorry have not tried the other games you listed, only speaking out of experience.

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
BTW
Turning off shadows and anti-aliasing will help tons.
Keeping CCleaner handy and using once every week or 2, helps. Running Mydefrag and optimizing your harddrive organization once a month helps. Not running a bunch of programs during games also helps. You can google "ccleaner download" and "mydefrag download" for those 2 maintenence programs also.

Same with HWmonitor, CPU-Z, memtest, and prime95, if you want more system testing programs just to make sure everything is going strong and doing what it should be doing. memtest makes sure the ram is perfect, prime95 is just like dropping a truck on your PC, HWmonitor tells you all the volts and temps of stuff so you can see how your laptop performs under stress, and CPU-Z tells you what your system is down to the microfiber. Also you can watch your CPU jump into turbo mode under heavy processing with CPU-Z to confirm that. Just make a folder called "maintenence" and put all those shortcuts in there.

There may be better ways.. but that's my way, and its served all my needs. Hope it will help you too.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Well my score was nowhere near close to what you thought or what I thought it would be. I ran the test on 3 different qualities and got 409 as my score every time. I don't know whats wrong... The benchmark was very choppy, lots of blur and the screen does that weird thing where in games it shifts. I don't know if I have a defective unit or if my setup is wrong but I can say this laptop is like 5 days old and I really don't know what to do...

any suggestions?

UPDATE: With 100mhz overclock to the gpu My score went to 460

Still I don't think this is too good...

UPDATE 2: Computer is now crashing and running game really poorly, changing the quality really doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm going to call the place I got it from and see if they will replace it for another one...

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
yeah I'd replace it.. If all your drivers are up to date and you're sure all the drivers are correct. I know someone with less specs than everything listed in your laptop, and he gets over 800 on heaven benchmark.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I'm starting to think its just a refresh rate error, I was reading that this was a good thing because the graphics card is processing faster than than the screen can handle which causes the screen to tear. I think this was one of the issues that I was trying to explain. Dirt 2 is running flawlessly in game on high settings. I have the correct drivers, I think I need more help in the direction of tuning my computers software to get the games running smoother...

I used D3DOverrider from Rivatuner to force Vsync and triplebuffer ratings.

I'm going to re run the benchmark and see if I can get a higher score...

UPDATE: I managed to get a higher score of 860 with Direct x 9 with higher settings and a score of 1068 with medium settings, Why is direct x 9 making my benchmark run much smoother? should I roll back my direct x back to 9 or what.