Power Supply for Pentium 3 PC

I have a Pentium 3 PC with a dead power supply. I was wondering if it would be o.k for me to use a different power supply in it to see if I could fire it up.

The only thing I've noticed thats different about the power supply I want to try and the power supply in the PC is that the one I want to try has the CPU power line, as the older one doesn't. Will this matter? Should I still just be able to plugin the power connection to the MOBO and have it work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~ Bee
5 answers Last reply
More about power supply pentium
  1. It should work as long as you don't use the aux power connectors.
  2. By aux connectors you mean power to the CD/DVD drive and HDD?
  3. Modern motherboards have two power connections. The large main connection has either 20 or 24 pins. The smaller connection has either 4 or 8 pins.

Do you mean you have a pc with a Pentium III cpu? I built a pc at least 10 years ago with a Pentium III 500Mhz cpu. Or was it a Pentium II? I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things. I can't remember if the motherboards back then had a second smaller power connection like modern boards do. I don't think they did. I wonder if that's what leo2kp meant?
  4. Its funny you say that.

I have two Pentium 3 PC's, one at 700MHz and one at 1GHz. The older 700MHz one has two power connectors, and the 1GHz one does not.

I want to use the power supply out of the 700MHz one in the 1GHz one.
  5. Just plug in the 20 or 24 pin connector and you will be fine. It will still be ATX.

I used the same ATX power supply on a PII 450Mhz out of a Gateway and a SocketA AthlonXP2800 setup. Actually, I think that PSU made it into my Socket 754 machine as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Pentium Components