Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply for Pentium 3 PC

Last response: in Components
April 10, 2009 6:57:12 AM

I have a Pentium 3 PC with a dead power supply. I was wondering if it would be o.k for me to use a different power supply in it to see if I could fire it up.

The only thing I've noticed thats different about the power supply I want to try and the power supply in the PC is that the one I want to try has the CPU power line, as the older one doesn't. Will this matter? Should I still just be able to plugin the power connection to the MOBO and have it work?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~ Bee

More about : power supply pentium

April 10, 2009 1:31:18 PM

It should work as long as you don't use the aux power connectors.
April 10, 2009 1:54:47 PM

By aux connectors you mean power to the CD/DVD drive and HDD?
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
April 10, 2009 2:36:31 PM

Modern motherboards have two power connections. The large main connection has either 20 or 24 pins. The smaller connection has either 4 or 8 pins.

Do you mean you have a pc with a Pentium III cpu? I built a pc at least 10 years ago with a Pentium III 500Mhz cpu. Or was it a Pentium II? I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things. I can't remember if the motherboards back then had a second smaller power connection like modern boards do. I don't think they did. I wonder if that's what leo2kp meant?
April 11, 2009 3:46:51 PM

Its funny you say that.

I have two Pentium 3 PC's, one at 700MHz and one at 1GHz. The older 700MHz one has two power connectors, and the 1GHz one does not.

I want to use the power supply out of the 700MHz one in the 1GHz one.
April 11, 2009 3:49:02 PM

Just plug in the 20 or 24 pin connector and you will be fine. It will still be ATX.

I used the same ATX power supply on a PII 450Mhz out of a Gateway and a SocketA AthlonXP2800 setup. Actually, I think that PSU made it into my Socket 754 machine as well.
!