Stuff on my CPU

killer1000001

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well when i bought my NEW INTEL CPU a while back i noticed some silver stuff on the back of it and never bothered to clean it off, just a little stuff, barely covering 5 of the connections on the cpu. It still runs fine, even after taking it out multiple times and never bothering to clean it. What could it be?

killer1000001

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
i have lapped it once but ran out of sandpaper and put it back in, then took it out to finish when i got the rest of the sandpaper. The connections.... the circles on the back... Probably when i get my new heatsink i would clean it off. Kind of weird that they would allow it to come with crap on it. And i dont have any pictures of the back side, only of the lap ;)

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
That "crap" could be heatsink paste. It functions to transmit the heat from your PC to your cooler more efficiently. It has a purpose. You are correct that too much may have been applied to spill over to some contacts, but as long as your system is not affected, stop messing with it. Your CPU is sensitive to static electricity and could get fried with all you are doing to it. :pfff: