Sign in with
Your question

Beginner overclocker looking for help to overclock my i7 930

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2010 12:47:26 PM

This will be my first time really trying to overclock a system - I have dabbled slightly in it on my last system, but nothing big really, I only did about a 5% OC.

On this rig, I have an i7 930 on an Asus P6T SE motherboard. The CPU's cooling is a 120mm radiator liquid cooling system, and I'm looking to get the best of what I can out of my investment.

Can anyone be my guide on learning how to properly overclock this system to it's (safe) limits?
a c 105 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2010 2:48:31 AM

There are some excellent guides right here on this site for overclocking. Here is the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

Remember to set the RAM ratio to its LOWEST setting (8x?) before you start OC. This ensures that the RAM will not be the source of instability. After the desired OC is achieved, then increase the RAM ratio to a higher value if necessary, while making sure that you have not gone beyond the RAM rated speed.

Pay close attention to voltages. Higher voltages mean higher temps, and higher temps mean lower life. Too high a voltage will burnout the CPU and the socket pins. The manufacturer's manuals will explain the voltage ranges.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2010 3:23:40 AM

Upping clocks can't damage the CPU but upping voltage can.

If you want to be safe, never increase over 1.4v, ever. Auto can push your core voltage beyond 1.4v, never use auto for the vcore since it is always higher than it needs to be.

You should try something like 160 BCLK with a 1.2 core voltage. A 930 should take that no problem. Test with something like prime 95 after each setting to see if it crashes. If it doesn't crash for 5 minutes, it is generally good to go. Slowly bring the voltage as low as possible without crashing in prime 95. Then you got yourself a stable clock.

Never overclock your memory.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 6, 2010 3:34:28 AM

Regarding RAM - I have underclocked my 1600 MHz RAM down to 1452 MHz
!