Help dimm slot problem :(

timmytwotoes

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
hi everyone,

I just bought some shiney new kingston ddr2 ram as i knew my pc had ddr2 already and didnt want to confuse the old guy by giving him shiney new ddr3 memory. However i have a small (large) problem. The stupid bridge gap in the ram stick doesnt fit over the "river?" in the dimm slot. I was wonder if it was possible to cut the "river" out or not.... :??:

NO, that spark of brilliance on your part will render your system useless. A saw or knife is not needed.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+install+RAM

If the RAM module does not fit one way, turn it around. If it still doesn't fit, you either have the wrong type of memory or, I'm sorry to say, you are too stupid to install your own memory.

timmytwotoes

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
hmm well i presume im not too stupid, which i hope is not to presumptious, i have tried with reasonable force, and despites Badges thoughts i had tried google before coming here with my beginner question.
Having compared my old and new modules i see that the bridging gap in them is in a different location..(1-2mm varation) how do i know which modules have the gap in the correct location then?
Any help is appricated.