Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7 930 and Gigabyte U3DR Voltage issues

Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2010 4:51:59 PM

Hey guys I'm only doing a mild OC but even then, I'm having trouble with my overclock stability. I don't know why but my OC would work for a couple of days and then it would not boot up properly (restarts for about 3 times) and an error will show up on boot screen telling me my OC failed.

My Specs:
Core i7 930
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Viper G-Series DDR3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v
Here are my settings:

- Processor multiplier: 21x
- VCore: 1.20v
- Ram voltage: Auto (1.5v default)
- XMP: Off
- Ram Timing: Auto (7-7-7-15)
- Performance enhancement: Standard
- QPI Voltage: Auto (1.175v)
- Load line calibration: Standard
- Base clock: x162

So what's going on? Why am I getting these problems? When I ran Prime95 4-5 runs my max temp did not exceed 51 degrees. I don't see this as a heating issue. What else could it be?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2010 3:57:42 AM

I am guessing you are using the stock memory multiplier of 10x ?

If so you are overclocking your RAM and dropping the timings by alot and reducing the voltage probably causing memory instability.

Set your memory manually to 9-9-9-24 and use 1.64v
Could roll back base clock to 160 as well so your memory is at a perfect 1600mhz because memory doesn't overclock well.
July 3, 2010 3:35:26 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I am guessing you are using the stock memory multiplier of 10x ?

If so you are overclocking your RAM and dropping the timings by alot and reducing the voltage probably causing memory instability.

Set your memory manually to 9-9-9-24 and use 1.64v
Could roll back base clock to 160 as well so your memory is at a perfect 1600mhz because memory doesn't overclock well.

Thanks! I think this maybe the issue. I enabled XMP profile and so far no crashes yet (I'll still need to test this for a few days). I'm pretty new to Core i7 (moved up from C2D) so I'm not well aware with the memory OC issues. I was wondering why even though I had my vcore so high, I still couldn't attain stability.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
m
l
July 5, 2010 3:54:48 AM

Best answer selected by murdoc.
m
l
!