Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2009 2:34:17 PM

Hello! First post :) 

I currently have an Asus A8N-E socket 939 with an AMD64 x2 4200 Toledo. I just purchased a Nvidia GTX 285 vid card and a PCI-E X-Fi Titanium sound card. I'm looking at upgrading my mobo, cpu, and ram to push those cards a little more. I'm primarily using it for gaming.

1. I usually like to stick to best bang for my buck equipment without spending too much to be on the bleeding edge. As far as I can see, the Intel E8400 looks like the best cpu for under $200.00. So that being said, I was looking at lga775 mobo's. Since I've always been happy with ASUS I was looking at their boards, but there are some really bad reviews of them lately. My A8N-E has a nForce chipset, which I was happy with and combined with a Nvidia graphics card seemed to be a logical choice. Do I look at a nForce chipsets or doesn't it really make a difference? Any suggestions of a good board for lga774 would be appreciated.

2. IYO, is it worth it to even upgrade?

Thanks to all!

More about : choosing mobo

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 2, 2009 4:28:00 PM

I'd sell the old 939 combo on ebay; you should get a good price for the toledo. I don't put alot of money into motherboards unless you want sli or crossfire support. I would also change your power supply, unless you already have over 500 watts. For the board, the asus p5q-pro looks like a good choice. For the cpu, check microcenter if you live near one, or Fry's electronics. For memory, I'd go for crucial ballistyx or gskill 2x2gb at 1066 fsb. For best bang for the buck, fry's stores has had the phenom II 710 with board for $129 recently.
!