Sign in with
Your question

X86 XP drivers for the shared printer

Last response: in Windows XP
June 19, 2011 1:31:08 PM

I have a PC with XP service pack 2, I am trying to add aprinter which is physically connected to a PC with Windows 7 x64. (Wireless network, file sharing working). My printer is a HP Deskjet 5740. The add printer process ends up asking for a .inf for the printer driver.
Various websites indicate I need the x86 XP drivers, I just cannot find a simple route to download these. Finally, am I correct in thinking these drivers will need to be installed to my XP machine, the windows 7 runs the printer without problem.
June 19, 2011 6:13:59 PM

No, if the PCs are networked you need to install the x86 drivers on your x64 PC under:
Printers and Faxes, choose printer, right click Properties, Sharing - put in sharing name and click additional drivers, check Intel Windows 2000 or XP. This should prompt you to install drivers CD in order to get the x86 drivers.
Now the x86 will find and install the drivers from the x64 PC.
June 20, 2011 5:09:49 PM

934087,2,867206 said:
No, if the PCs are networked you need to install the x86 drivers on your x64 PC under:
Printers and Faxes, choose printer, right click Properties, Sharing - put in sharing name and click additional drivers, check Intel Windows 2000 or XP. This should prompt you to install drivers CD in order to get the x86 drivers.
Now the x86 will find and install the drivers from the x64 PC.[/quote

I have followed the procedure on my windows 7 PC, when I click additional drivers it does not offer the options you suggest, it offers, Itanium, x64 (shown as already installed) and x86. At this point I :bounce:  have selected x86 and put my windows7 disc in the drive and it reads the disc and says drivers not at the location. In desperation I have also selected Itanium, no change and even put my HP printer install disc in the drive, all with the same result.
Related resources
June 20, 2011 5:24:28 PM

try reading this, it might answer some of your questions.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254058-45-enabling-fi...
as far as I understand, x86 drivers need to be available on your win7 machine, because in case a x86 system tries to install the printer via the network your win7 machine needs to be able to provide that x86 driver to the winxp machine.
June 23, 2011 6:41:41 PM

Does your printer cd have the x86 drivers on it ? It's the printer drivers cd I was referring to not windows. If not get it from HP.
!