Sign in with
Your question

Limited or No Connectivity, Motherboard Corruption?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2009 6:59:53 PM

Recently the Local Area Connection on my motherboard(Biostar Tforce 550) has started displaying "Limited or No Connectivity" anytime my ethernet cable if plugged into it. I feel like I've gone through just about all my troubleshooting options and the only possible cause I'm left with is that the motherboard is going bad, however, before spending the time and money replacing the mobo(or getting a NIC) I thought I'd toss it out there for you guys to pick over and tell me if I've missed anything below I'm just going to list everything I can remember doing to try to fix it, any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1.) Flashed the cable modem
2.) Disabled and Re-enabled L.A.C.
3.) Unplugged ethernet cable from PC, flashed modem, plugged it back in
4.) Reboot PC
5.) IPConfig /release > IPConfig /renew
6.) Plugged ethernet cable into the compass, it passed
7.) Tried ethernet cable on a different PC, it worked
8.) Uninstalled and reinstalled ethernet drivers
9.) Ran scans in spyware hunter, malware bytes, McAfee and Super Antispyware(Nothing but a few cookies)
10.) Renamed Local Area Connection(I was trying anything at this point)
11.) Uninstalled and reinstalled all motherboard drivers
12.) Booted into OpenSuSe Linux (my main OS is Windows XP but I dual boot it with suse), no luck
13.) Reformatted both XP and Linux partitions and reinstalled XP w/SP3, after reinstalling all the drivers, still no luck

Motherboard: Biostar Tforce 550

Like I said, anything you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated, the only thing I can really think of is replacing the motherboard or getting a NIC(Though I would rather replace the mobo if it is the problem, best not to have faulty parts in there), but I don't really relish buying a brand new motherboard unless i've exhausted all other possibilities. Thanks again

June 2, 2009 11:06:44 PM

I assume you've checked device manager and everything is OK there. Sometimes, can't say why, drivers have to be re-installed on a fresh level. If you have the yellow excl pt. a $10nic is a lot better than another mBoard. Do you have a Link light on your connector for your Ethernet? Check to make sure you get link and then data. I wouldn't throw a good board away for a possible easy fix. If you have two computers with Lan - a crossover cable will connect the two and you run a simple Comm program to talk to each other.
June 3, 2009 1:31:01 AM

DaveF1953 said:
I assume you've checked device manager and everything is OK there. Sometimes, can't say why, drivers have to be re-installed on a fresh level. If you have the yellow excl pt. a $10nic is a lot better than another mBoard. Do you have a Link light on your connector for your Ethernet? Check to make sure you get link and then data. I wouldn't throw a good board away for a possible easy fix. If you have two computers with Lan - a crossover cable will connect the two and you run a simple Comm program to talk to each other.

Everything was fine in the device manager, even now with the fresh install of windows, the only thing with any problems in device manager is my GPU because I haven't bothered installing the drivers on it. The link lights show up on the connector when the ethernet is plugged in, and link does appear before data.

I can't use a crossover cable, I've only got the one desktop in my apartment. I tested the modem earlier with a friend's laptop, so no lan.

I might get a nic, I've never really looked into nic cards before and hadn't realized they were so cheap. It would still bother me knowing that my motherboard might be bad though, and I'd constantly be worrying about it giving me future issues(It's a friend's old mobo he gave it to me after I fried a mobo back in january and it's given me a few minor issues since I've had it) buuuut for ten or twenty bucks and 5 minutes, my neurosis can be bought and caged.
June 11, 2009 7:08:43 PM

You are also getting the fine, quality expertice of Debug. We can walk you through the steps. Now, you haven't said whether you can connect yet or not. What is device manager say? Can you get to the oint where you can get a graphical representation ofYour Nic and others sending and receiving data. If you get to see your NIC trying to send out packets, there is a DOS command which can help you here. " PING " So you would open a dos box ( to close it say exit ) and you will type ping. A lot of gibberish will come back, but if 1000 pkts made it to your server, this is a good thing, you are talking to the network. If I am wrong with some points here, feel free to correct me.
!