Gygabite EP43-UD3L Memory Overclocking Question

shankedagain

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L and a 4GB pair of Kingston HyperX PC8500. I know for some reason these boards like to downgrade the memory. I am a total noob when it comes to overclocking, so I was wondering if anyone with the same bios can tell me how to run the memory at the proper 1066 speed. Right now the voltage is set at 1.9. The memory I got should be running at 2.3v The timings are already set at 5-5-5-18 which should be correct. The question is do I need to change anything other than the voltage?

CPU: intel core2duo E6600 2.4GHZ 1066 FSB (Old I know, but perfect for what I use the comp for)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2) PC8500 CL5
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L

Any help/input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Actually it is running the "proper" speed. You want to overclock it, because it's rated at overclocked settings. You'll want to change both the voltage and the memory ratio to overclock it to the rated speed.

There is no JEDEC standard for PC8500 (DDR2-1066) memory. All it is is PC6400 (DDR2-800) memory that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually by increasing the voltage (2.3 v is really high) and loosening the memory timings (CL4 to CL 5). That's why you need to manually adjust all the memory parameters.

Will all that in mind, you have selected memory that can run twice as fast as your CPU. And you are not going to be able to reach 4.8 GHz. with an E6600 without really exotic cooling. You may be able to reach 3.6 GHz. But you could do that with good DDR2-800 memory.

And I have never seen any practical benefit to running memory faster than the FSB.

Go into the BIOS during the first boot. Find the OC settings. (I forget what they're called. I am on vacation away from my computers.) The voltage adjustments are all the way down at the bottom. Adjust vRAM to 2.3 volts. If you cannot adjust that high, set it to the maximum.

And if you are going to overclock, you will need a good CPU cooler. I wouldn't run the stock cooler past 3.0 GHz.