CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

G

Hi everyone,

I remember reading somewhere that a PSU as powerful as this can't be plugged into those surge protector thing or it will not be able to draw enough power.

So my question being, is this true? Or it doesn't really make a difference? Because i don't want to lower its performance by plugging it into my power surge protector.

Thanks a lot in advance!

It'll work fine with a surge protector, but don't plug any other high draw devices in as well. At full load, it'll draw about 70% of the full capacity of a single plug, so if you tried to plug any other high power devices in with it, you'd overload the plug. Keep in mind that a standard wall circuit is rated at 15A, or around 1800W (at a power factor of 1). The Corsair is around 80% efficient, so at a 1000W load, it will pull 1250 watts or so. This leaves only 550 watts remaining on the circuit before you would risk overloading it.

+1 what cjl said.

Last year we had several threads about blowing a fuse or a circuit breaker when either turning on a pc or while playing games. Turned out the electrical circuit included other electrical items that were also turned on in other parts of the room and even adjacent rooms. It is very common for one electrical circuit to have several wall outlets and light switches. It is possible to overload a circuit. Just use a little common sense.