deconduo

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I just unlocked the 4th core of my X3 435, and windows loads fine, doesn't seem to be any big issues. The problem I have is that when the core is unlocked, none of the programs I have can read the CPU core temperature. I have no idea how hot it is in there. Anyone experienced this before? Should I just lock it back up?

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
You lose core temps when you enable acc. Only thing you can go off is the cpu temp. Lock it back up only to note core temps in relation to cpu temps under load, then you'll have an idea where your core temps are at. My cores idle about 9c less than cpu temp and anything up off idle they hang about 5c cooler than cpu. Are you using something like HWMonitor ?

Please don't lock it back up for the love of ..... :heink:

deconduo

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Well thats good news anyway. I unlocked the L3 cache as well so I really didn't want to lock it back up. I thought it was a faulty core that was causing the temps not to be displayed. I was using CPU-Z and PC Wizard.

As long as you have adequate cooling the individual core temp is meaningless, just go by CPU temps and you will be fine.

I have been using an unlocked CPU for almost a 9 months and it has not skipped a beat, I also use Speedfan + Everest to compare temps.. Both programs seem to be fairly accurate :

coretemp_sucks2-1.png

deconduo

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Ok, so when using everest and load testing, CPU temperature hits maybe 32C max, whereas Motherboard Temp hits 60C. Is this normal?

Are you sure you have these temps the right way round? I would expect the CPU to idle around 32C. Assuming the motherboard hits 32C and the CPU hits 60C then its fine but you don't want it to go much higher. I am also making the assumption the load testing has the same results in temp increase as Prime 95.

Your mobo is hitting 60c? The board temp should be lower than the CPU.

deconduo

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Yeah thats what I was wondering. Is it possible that the sensors are mixed up because of the unlocked core? And that the one being read as the motherboard is actually the CPU?