Sign in with
Your question

My New Build started smoking

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2009 7:37:32 PM

:fou:  My computer just started smoking after about 2-3 seconds when I powered it up. Not sure why Its a good PSU with alot of power http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I was running an amd 5400+, hd3650, artic freezer 64 CPU fan,2 gigs of ram,1 cold cathode light, 2 fans, 1 cddrive and 1 120gb hdd.

Booted up, lights and all, then it starts smoking... Not sure what actually was smoking though. the PSU still worked on an older pc so I dont think the psu's at fault. the MOBO is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Which I had to send back once already cause it was dead, and I think that was the problem. does that mean my cpu and ram are dead too?.. cause Im getting a new MOBO hoping to solve this problem.
Any type of help would be very appreciated.
Thanks....

More about : build started smoking

January 13, 2009 2:24:42 AM

Update now my motherboard turns on, everything runs perfectly just still a blank screen. everytime I turn it on my monitors led changes from red to green for about 3 seconds and then goes back to red. That should indicate something right. is it possible my CPU was fried when my mobo started smoking but my mobo itself is ok? the only burn mark I can find is a slight burn circle around one of the screw holes (I guess the screw was in to tight or something). anyways, Is it possible that my Motherboard is still ok and the cpu somehow fried?

Thanks
January 13, 2009 3:49:54 AM

Motherboard is probably dead. If it was the RAM the board should be beeping like crazy. Easiest way to check is to take out the RAM and see if it beeps at you :) . Having something wrong with the CPU should cause it to beep or something too, unless it's too fried to even do that. Generally though not having any beeps is a mobo problem. Try taking out the 3650 and just booting with the onboard video. By the way the PSU you have isn't that great so it could just be frying stuff. Even if it works with older equipment if you put it on something more demanding and it's defective it could fry it, kinda like the defective co worker who is fine on small tasks but tries to punch someone if they ask for too much :D . You could have also just run into a bad batch of motherboards.
Related resources
January 13, 2009 5:15:38 AM

The LED monitor lights just indicate that they are plugged in and working. When it goes back to red it's because they aren't getting any signal from the video card. First you may want to try getting your hands on another video card to test. If that doesn't work, you probably fried the board.
January 13, 2009 6:04:01 PM

Yeah, I think that might be the case.. Any good motherboard recommendations because this biostar motherboard let me down twice..
}=/
January 13, 2009 6:29:23 PM

Look for ASUS, or Gigabyte motherboards. (don't even bother looking at MSI)
January 13, 2009 6:29:50 PM

Would have thought you said you tried to OC the amd and tower in flames, seen it twice myself lol its just the mobo, ram and cpu should be fine
January 13, 2009 7:38:33 PM

Take everything apart and look for burnt marks.
Don't try that PSU elsewhere if you suspect it is bad.
The PSU is underpowered. It has only 18 amps on the 12v rails.
Could be the cause of the smoke.
Find out what else it took with it.

January 13, 2009 8:19:48 PM

Well said evongugg!
January 13, 2009 8:44:55 PM

Are there Stand-offs or risers between the motherboard and the case?
I would imagine the back plate/shield would not fit proper if so.
January 13, 2009 9:11:56 PM

The cheap psu strikes again.
January 14, 2009 12:36:28 AM

IH8U said:
Look for ASUS, or Gigabyte motherboards. (don't even bother looking at MSI)

Second that with MSI - cheap ass rubbish products.

Haha yup most common "smoke" faults:

USB's wired up wrong
Front Pannel lights/switches wired up wrong
Cheap PSU's
Ram wrong way around
January 14, 2009 3:24:27 AM

How do you get the ram the wrong way around LOL. But ya did u remember to install the standoffs?
January 14, 2009 4:01:57 AM

the 12v rail is weak only 18a the cpu video card case fans hd dvd's run
off the 12v rail you want at least 28a on the 12v rail or rails min
January 14, 2009 5:50:47 AM

Hold on here with the PSU rail conspiracy. Yes the 18A single rail is light, but let us consider the facts.

First and most important is the burn mark around one of the screw holes. Yup that is a telling clue right there. Sounds like a short. No not a 100% short, but one with some resistance. More than likely it is the cause of the smoke and damage.

Second, the eXtreme PSU calculator recommends a PSU with 225W. Now that doesn't take into consideration required amperage but I don't see any current hogs here. Hell the 3650 only draws a max of 53W or 4.41A under full load, which certainly wasn't the case at the time. More than likely the 19W or 1.58A at idle or somewhere in between.

Third, if the PSU was overloaded it would either shut down or burn itself up. He said he tried it in another PC and it worked with no problem, so we can rule out a burned up PSU.

Bad install or bad mobo and resultant short.
January 14, 2009 5:53:59 AM

derek2006 said:
How do you get the ram the wrong way around LOL. But ya did u remember to install the standoffs?

You know at first i thought that too, but idiots around my way manage to, and give me the whole lecture "been in the industry for 20 years" etc before i fire back at them and tell them no refund no warranty etc - anything is posible with those "professionals" out there ;) 
January 14, 2009 6:31:23 AM

It's easy to get it wrong way around, you just use a hammer. No not a sledgehammer, a nice rubber mallet. :lol: 

I always say, if you are having problems, then get a bigger hammer.

To any noobs that read this, I'm just kidding. You do not need a hammer to assemble a computer.

Beer yes, hammer no.

January 14, 2009 11:31:50 AM

The PSU may only be a 350W unit, but as Zorg points out, isn't to blame. It should actually be sufficient for this build.
January 14, 2009 4:00:50 PM

Oh, and while you would not need a hammer to assemble a computer, a large wooden mallet can prove useful when dealing with PEBKAC errors.
January 14, 2009 5:08:45 PM

nah MSI is still one of the top reliable barands out there i had 2 computers with MSI mobos and they worked flawlessly and were the top performing mobo's of there time

as for the PSU if you don't spend the money then you get what you pay for and that is for any brand good or bad especially if it is a $40.00 PSU. i got thermeltake tough power that was $90-$100 and works like a champ
January 14, 2009 6:05:22 PM

electricity is a fickle beast, if power is there it will try to run... if not enough something is going to burn.

January 14, 2009 6:31:30 PM

Your rig needs to stop smoking immediately before it's too late. Take it aside and explain the dangers in a non- judgmental fashion. Cancer and emphysema are no joke!
January 14, 2009 6:46:52 PM

Ok thanks for the help (Minus the Hammer and smoking jokes :lol:  ) but uhhhh.. what is a standoff? *(SuperNoob)*

so is it safe to assume my Cpu, and ram are okay? Pretty sure the motherboard is partially fried.... like just a little over the "I cant post anymore" limit fried...
January 14, 2009 7:16:14 PM

Just looked up standoffs..."Did Not Use Them!" thats my problem right there.. does anyone have a good tutorial for standoff installation...

My motherboard was flat on the case the like 2 screws in it, I was wondering why none of the screws fit..
January 14, 2009 9:34:15 PM

You'll want to test the board outside of the case, first. It may not be worth reinstalling it... After that, find the docs for your case: you can probably get them online if you didn't save them. The info that you want should be there.
January 14, 2009 11:48:29 PM

The mobo is dead, throw it away and get a new one or deal with everlasting problems, assuming you can get it to boot again.

Count the holes in the mobo and note their location. Screw one standoff in each hole in the mobo tray that matches the corresponding hole in the mobo (no extras). Screw the mobo to the standoffs.
January 15, 2009 7:33:10 AM

TurtleMan said:
Your rig needs to stop smoking immediately before it's too late. Take it aside and explain the dangers in a non- judgmental fashion. Cancer and emphysema are no joke!

Ill quit next week, honnest!
!