Satellite Reception in Another Room

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 23, 2004 6:14:53 PM

From time to time I would like to get satellite reception in another
room but don't want to pay the $4.99 a month. The room is directly
above the room where the receiver is now located. It seems like I have
read about some sort of wireless gadget that will beam the signal to
another room. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Nancy
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 11:41:42 PM

Nancy wrote:

> From time to time I would like to get satellite reception in another
> room but don't want to pay the $4.99 a month. The room is directly
> above the room where the receiver is now located. It seems like I have
> read about some sort of wireless gadget that will beam the signal to
> another room. I would appreciate any suggestions.

In MANY cases, a transceiver gizmo can indeed work very well in regards
to your needs.
But, in some homes they simply do not.
The only way to tell is to get one IF they say that you can return the
unit if it doesn't work as advertised.

In my house, they work semi-OK, and I have only a single floor home.
Phones and other units that work on the 2.whatever Ghz can/might
interfere with each other, so do be prepared!

Regardless, Critical placement and aiming is needed in many cases.

And yes, while I can watch whatever in any room, you must buy extra
remotes, or bring the ONE you have wherever you go.
THAT'S what makes it so handy!

So consider the cost VS having another receiver/cable added.
June 24, 2004 12:04:38 AM

KF/AKA AH#49 wrote:
> Nancy wrote:
>
>> From time to time I would like to get satellite reception in another
>>room but don't want to pay the $4.99 a month. The room is directly
>>above the room where the receiver is now located. It seems like I have
>>read about some sort of wireless gadget that will beam the signal to
>>another room. I would appreciate any suggestions.
>

> In MANY cases, a transceiver gizmo can indeed work very well in regards
> to your needs.
> But, in some homes they simply do not.
> The only way to tell is to get one IF they say that you can return the
> unit if it doesn't work as advertised.

Thanks for the information. What are these called and where can you get
them? Radio Shack, perhaps?

Nancy
Related resources
June 24, 2004 11:10:51 AM

This is not a recommendation for or against this product but this will give
you an idea of what you are looking for:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=105138466951...

"Nancy" <nancy@ntin.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the information. What are these called and where can you get
> them? Radio Shack, perhaps?
>
> Nancy

---
June 24, 2004 5:07:34 PM

Nancy wrote:

> KF/AKA AH#49 wrote:
> > Nancy wrote:
> >
> >> From time to time I would like to get satellite reception in another
> >>room but don't want to pay the $4.99 a month. The room is directly
> >>above the room where the receiver is now located. It seems like I have
> >>read about some sort of wireless gadget that will beam the signal to
> >>another room. I would appreciate any suggestions.
> >

> > In MANY cases, a transceiver gizmo can indeed work very well in regards
> > to your needs.
> > But, in some homes they simply do not.
> > The only way to tell is to get one IF they say that you can return the
> > unit if it doesn't work as advertised.
>
> Thanks for the information. What are these called and where can you get
> them? Radio Shack, perhaps?

They might.
This place has them but they are kinda pricey here.
http://www.starlink-dss.com/WaveMaster20.html

There are other brands.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 10:25:38 PM

I've tried these AV wireless transmitters before and have one sitting
in my basement which I don't use anymore.

They work, but the problem is that they are very sensitive to any form
of radio interference. If you have, say, a wireless network or a
wireless phone in your house or even in your neighborhood, you'll get
annoying static and lines in the receiving TV set. And just about any
electrical device in your house can generate interference, including
things like hair dryers, fans, microwave ovens, the list goes on.

After a few weeks of using this thing, I gave up. I went with a wired
setup which not only avoids interference, but is cheaper and requires
no electricity.

Just my experience.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:48:40 -0500, Nancy <nancy@ntin.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the information.
>
>Nancy
>

>KF/AKA AH#49 wrote:
>

>> They might.
>> This place has them but they are kinda pricey here.
>> http://www.starlink-dss.com/WaveMaster20.html
>>
>> There are other brands.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 12:50:16 AM

I'll have to agree with BYK. I have used a few variations of the wireless
video devices and never have liked any of them. If you are someone who
doesn't really care about video/audio quality and don't mind lines in your
screen and periodic crackles and pops in the audio, then this is for you.

If not, go with wired. You'll be much happier.

Chad

"BYK" <byk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've tried these AV wireless transmitters before and have one sitting
> in my basement which I don't use anymore.
>
> They work, but the problem is that they are very sensitive to any form
> of radio interference. If you have, say, a wireless network or a
> wireless phone in your house or even in your neighborhood, you'll get
> annoying static and lines in the receiving TV set. And just about any
> electrical device in your house can generate interference, including
> things like hair dryers, fans, microwave ovens, the list goes on.
>
> After a few weeks of using this thing, I gave up. I went with a wired
> setup which not only avoids interference, but is cheaper and requires
> no electricity.
>
> Just my experience.
>

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:48:40 -0500, Nancy <nancy@ntin.net> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the information.
> >
> >Nancy
> >

> >KF/AKA AH#49 wrote:
> >

> >> They might.
> >> This place has them but they are kinda pricey here.
> >> http://www.starlink-dss.com/WaveMaster20.html
> >>
> >> There are other brands.

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:50:03 AM

Nancy, They are RCA pyramids and average about $30.00 plus shipping. I am
told rat shack has some. I use them in 4 rooms to use my mpeg2/dvd
receiver. I bought mine from a web sat dealer www.sadoun.com if I spelled
it correctly. He is in Ohio.

> From time to time I would like to get satellite reception in another
> room but don't want to pay the $4.99 a month. The room is directly
> above the room where the receiver is now located. It seems like I have
> read about some sort of wireless gadget that will beam the signal to
> another room. I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Nancy

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:54:25 AM

My pyramids have never received any interfearence from outside nor caused
any lines on any tv screen. They are infrared and as such I had to have the
tran/rec high on a bookcase so it wouldn't reset other equipement I use. I
have them on top of the tv sets in other rooms.

!