Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with ASUS P6T and Intel i7 920

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 12, 2009 7:45:04 PM

Hello,
I've just finish to assemble my new PC which has the following configuration:

Intel i7 920
ASUS P6T
OCZ 3*2GB 1600 Mhz
Coolmax 700W
2*Seagate SATA 2 750 GB
Sapphire ATI HD 4850 1 GB

I've connected all the wires, but the system doesn't start completely. Only the two leds of the power and reset on the motherboard emanate light.

More info about the wires: On the motherboard there was (at the left top) a socket with 8 pins, 4 of which had a lid. I've removed the latter and through a 4 pin to 8 pin adaptor connected the PSU to this socket.
Then I've connected the main wire the the mobo and through a molex to 6 pin adpt the PSU to the HD 4850.

I don't know what to do. I kindly request your help.

Thanks a lot for your time.
January 12, 2009 7:47:47 PM

Try removing the 4 to 8 pin adapter and just plugging the 4 pin into where it was originally intended. I believe it is the right 4 pins on the socket. I am pretty sure they made the board so it could be powerered by either 4 or 8 pins, and maybe for some reasons its not getting enought when it is spread to 8..
January 12, 2009 7:50:21 PM

I've already tried that. Thanks anyway :-).
This situation is driving me crazy! I've controlled my work 1000 times...
Any other solution?
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2009 7:59:17 PM

Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed? I also agree that you should remove the 4 to 8 pin adapter and just power the four pins that were originally not covered.
January 12, 2009 8:02:53 PM

dave8624 said:
Try removing the 4 to 8 pin adapter and just plugging the 4 pin into where it was originally intended. I believe it is the right 4 pins on the socket. I am pretty sure they made the board so it could be powerered by either 4 or 8 pins, and maybe for some reasons its not getting enought when it is spread to 8..


shortstuff_mt said:
Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed? I also agree that you should remove the 4 to 8 pin adapter and just power the four pins that were originally not covered.


Yes, I did both of the things you said. Nothing happens.
I also tried to boot without RAM (I remember old PCs worked and then beeped) but nothing.

Do you think it can be that the PCI-Express adapter for the VGA is faulty??
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2009 8:10:59 PM

Why did you have to use the molex to 6-pin adapter? Your PSU should have come with at least one 6-pin PCI-E connector. I don't trust adapters. Just plug the GPU directly into the PSU.
January 12, 2009 8:16:36 PM

dave8624 said:
Try removing the 4 to 8 pin adapter and just plugging the 4 pin into where it was originally intended. I believe it is the right 4 pins on the socket. I am pretty sure they made the board so it could be powerered by either 4 or 8 pins, and maybe for some reasons its not getting enought when it is spread to 8..


shortstuff_mt said:
Why did you have to use the molex to 6-pin adapter? Your PSU should have come with at least one 6-pin PCI-E connector. I don't trust adapters. Just plug the GPU directly into the PSU.



You're right. The PSU has two PCI-Express connectors; the only problem's that they're not long enough to reach the VGA. Do you think it may be due to the VGA power problem that the system does not start?
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 12, 2009 8:20:21 PM

It could be. A little more information would be helpful. Have you plugged in the system speaker? Do you hear any beeps? Did you remember to install the standoffs between the motherboard and case? Have you tried getting it to boot outside of the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short?
January 12, 2009 8:26:24 PM

dave8624 said:
Try removing the 4 to 8 pin adapter and just plugging the 4 pin into where it was originally intended. I believe it is the right 4 pins on the socket. I am pretty sure they made the board so it could be powerered by either 4 or 8 pins, and maybe for some reasons its not getting enought when it is spread to 8..


shortstuff_mt said:
It could be. A little more information would be helpful. Have you plugged in the system speaker? Do you hear any beeps? Did you remember to install the standoffs between the motherboard and case? Have you tried getting it to boot outside of the case on a non-conductive surface to rule out a short?


Yes, the system speaker is connected. I do not hear any beep (If I did I'd be relieved). The fans (that usually are the first thing to start) don't start. I've also installed the standoffs correctly. I did not try to boot outside of the case. I do not think it's a short, the two leds on the mother board light.
January 12, 2009 8:52:55 PM

I tried to connect the VGA directly to the PSU connector. Still nothing.
Any other solution?
Thanks a lot
January 12, 2009 11:32:45 PM

And? What was the issue?
January 12, 2009 11:35:58 PM

azsportsfan said:
And? What was the issue?


The system doesn't start at all. Neither the fans.

I think it might be the PSU.
I shortcircuited the green cable with a black one (to power the PSU on) and then connected a fan with a molex to see if it worked, but nothing.
The only thing that make me believe it is NOT PSU's fault is that the two leds on the mobo light up.
January 13, 2009 1:15:27 AM

Had you tried assembling the computer out of the case? Sometimes the case has metal parts causing shorts on the MB. It is worth a try.
January 13, 2009 9:51:00 AM

No I did not. I'm going to do it. But if it cause a short neither the leds on the mobo should light up. Or not?
January 13, 2009 12:07:19 PM

Is that the CoolMax 700W modular PSU you are using?
http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=...

It sounds very strange that the PCi-e power lead does not reach the card.

I have exactly the same proc and mobo as you and have no problems getting my power cords to reach my graphics card.

Below is a pic from the CoolMax site of what I think is your mobo


It states you have a 8 pin 12v mobo connector, have you been trying to plug the wrong one in (ie the P4 4 pin connector)?
January 13, 2009 10:17:27 PM

merlinbadman said:
pic didnt show properly, go here to see the power cable specs:

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=...


No it's not the modular one. It's the following:

http://www.directron.com/cti700b.html

I sent it back hoping that they change it with this: http://www.directron.com/ocz700sxs.html

I hope it's that. I tried the coolmax on an old P4 1.8 Ghz and it did not work at all (the PSU should be retrocompatible, so it should have worked, right??)

Thanks
January 15, 2009 2:44:38 PM

Yes the PSU should have worked in an older machine, indicating that there is aproblem with your PSU.
January 15, 2009 3:10:55 PM

I'd say its your PSU. If you shorted the green wire with a black wire (while it was plugged in and switch on of course) and the fans didn't turn on most likely this is a faulty PSU. Can you get your hands on another PSU to run your system?
January 15, 2009 3:43:45 PM

kubes said:
I'd say its your PSU. If you shorted the green wire with a black wire (while it was plugged in and switch on of course) and the fans didn't turn on most likely this is a faulty PSU. Can you get your hands on another PSU to run your system?


No, I do not have another PSU to try.
I tried with the green and black wire trick but I don't know if it works with the new PSU. Do you know it?

Thanks again.
January 15, 2009 3:53:31 PM

At this point all i can recomend is that its a bad PSU. The shorting trick should work with that PSU. Maybe one of the other forum members might have a trick but its hard to say its something else when your psu won't even turn on by shorting it.
January 16, 2009 10:57:49 AM

That CoolMAX PSU is cr@p. It's cheap, and not good quality. Get a REAL QUALITY PSU from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, OCZ.

Also see:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257057-28-what-power-...

Get a Corsair 750 or PC Power & Cooling 750. Don't bother with modular unless you have a specific need (ie sticking it in a SFF case,etc).
January 17, 2009 12:01:53 AM

Shadow703793 said:
That CoolMAX PSU is cr@p. It's cheap, and not good quality. Get a REAL QUALITY PSU from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, OCZ.

Also see:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257057-28-what-power-...

Get a Corsair 750 or PC Power & Cooling 750. Don't bother with modular unless you have a specific need (ie sticking it in a SFF case,etc).



I sent it back and told them to send me this OCZ: http://directron.com/ocz700sxs.html .
What do you think about it?

Thanks
January 18, 2009 12:35:58 AM

^ Much better. Though I still would prefer a Corsair or a PC Power & Cooling. But the OCZ should do the job.
January 21, 2009 4:45:39 AM

I'm having the same problem with my board. The power and reset buttons on the board light up and pushing the start button causes the fans to spin for a second, but then nothing. That's all I can get it to do. I was wondering about the 8-pin socket having 4 pins covered, but I have tried the 8 and 4 pin plugs and the same results.
January 21, 2009 3:56:14 PM

dredgenot said:
I'm having the same problem with my board. The power and reset buttons on the board light up and pushing the start button causes the fans to spin for a second, but then nothing. That's all I can get it to do. I was wondering about the 8-pin socket having 4 pins covered, but I have tried the 8 and 4 pin plugs and the same results.


At least your fan spinned for a second, mine did not. Maybe in your case it's a short circuit.
You can try your PSU onto another PC like I did (in my case I think that the PSU was faulty).

Let us know...
January 23, 2009 11:59:33 AM

Problem Solved, it was the PSU!
January 23, 2009 1:12:03 PM

rossi__luigi said:
Problem Solved, it was the PSU!


Good :D 

And dredgenot - That does does sound like a duff PSU, try swapping it out (if you can get a spare) to confirm this.
!