OS installation CD dirty and scratched; is the install ok?

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I got a refurb workstation from HP to replace a machine that could no longer be fixed by throwing parts at it.

The OS installation CDs that HP sent me for it are called the HP Restore Kit discs.

Of the three discs, the first one was dirty and a little scratched on the data side. I wiped it as good as I could with a damp micro-fiber cloth, but still there was some smudging and a little bit of small scratches.

I ran it through the installation process, through all three discs, and it never complained to me. It appeared to go fine.

I really don't want to risk something having not gone right, only to find out after I invest a lot more time installing all my apps and configuring the system.

They’re sending me a new set of discs. It will be here in two days.

I need to get the machine set up and get back to work, but it's our video production machine and doesn't hold up the business if it waits two more days.

Should I wait and redo the install with the new discs, or is it pretty much 100% reliable that it was able to read everything okay if it went through the install and didn’t show me any glitches?

Thanks.

Jay